You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2013

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East
(27 Feb 2013, 9:23 pm)Rob wrote Northern? Percy Main requires 1 more vehicle to make the PVR of the 17/307 inter-working.

Unless there are any other dual door Renowns, then yes - that is what has been said by a trustworthy source.
Note: 'This information has not been confirmed officially, it is just speculation (presumably for the upcoming March changes)'

(27 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I would like GNE to buy either Pulsar2's or the new version of the Citaro for single deck operations. And Obviously more Gemini2's as I love them.

I'd like to see something non-standard enter the fleet. I've said this previously: Go North East are becoming more and more like other companies by standardising their fleet. It's a great shame indeed; while it doesn't affect the customer in any way whatsoever (probably provides a better customer service as GNE will have more knowledge of the vehicle and how reliable it is etc), it certainly does affect the enthusiast who doesn't like to see everything so standardised. It's why I often find myself complaining about Stagecoach's fleet - it just gets so boring!

On that note then, what I'd like to see enter the fleet are some Pulsar 2s (would be nice to see them branded up for a Go North East service, and not just in Arriva's generic livery) or some Enviro 200/300s (even 350Hs if it were a matter of Green Bus Funding!) which are obviously more commonly associated with Stagecoach. Likewise, some Enviro 400/Hs wouldn't go at a loss as opposed to Go North East's standard Gemini for double deck operations.

We must consider that quite a lot of Go North East's ex-London double deckers will not be suitable for operation post-2015, so they will have to go eventually... If Go North East are to directly replace them so that services will always have a spare double decker as opposed to single deckers for services, then we will be seeing a few more Geminis (or another alternative should GNE change their ways).

(27 Feb 2013, 11:01 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote MetroLink
WheyayeFive0
Fab Fifty Six (51regs)
Lime
Lambton Worm
Waggonway
Northern DAF's

As for the MetroLink Solars, I'd have said that, having NL52 regs, they wouldn't be quite as bad as other Solars within the fleet. I believe that these NL52 regs will be staying post 2015 withdrawals, as they just scrape the minimum Euro standard. The customer demand is high enough for a double deck (or an enhanced higher seating capacity single deck) operation to be feasible though, so the likelihood of the MetroLink service being one that gains some of the 80 new buses this year is high in my opinion.

Whey Aye Five 0 vehicles, I can agree with you. Despite only being a year older, these 2001 Y-reg series Solars do seem to have been unreliable in the past few months. As it's a service I don't use (Washington-CLS-Durham connection isn't one that I need being from Sunderland), I can't comment on the passenger demand of this service. Nevertheless, I think that these won't even be staying within the fleet post 2015 withdrawals. So, with that in mind, I think that these, in addition to the various MPDs Go North East have, will be some of the next single deckers to go after all of the main culprits have departed (SPDs, Prestiges, etc).

Fab Fifty Six, as above really. I could imagine that the 51 reg series Solars aren't too far behind the Y reg series ones... As for a higher seating capacity operation, I definitely do think that an upgrade would be feasible, and the likelihood of it happening is strong. Go North East have had countless suggestions made on their Facebook page for double deck operation, and this has actually been the case for quite a while now (one or two Vykings/Presidents always seem to slip on there lately).

Lime, Lambton Worm, Waggonway... While they have got the oldest buses and quite possibly the most unreliable compared to the ones mentioned above, I really don't think that the passenger demand of those services is quite high! I've not once been on a full "Lime" 8/78 service between Sunderland and the split-point at Chester Road; the demand seemingly decreases through the route, perhaps increasing at one or two points as you get closer to Consett. I'd imagine the story is much the same for the latter two examples. Nevertheless, all of these will be gone post 2015, so new(er) vehicles are to be expected.

Most of our "Northern" vehicles will have to go anyway, in 2015. I don't think very many at all are fit for the minimum Euro category set. The DAFs will be some of the first to go, following on from the SPDs. I think the only reason why Go North East are clinging onto them is because they have such a high seating capacity, and in retrospect, they aren't actually "bad" buses. I rode one from Park Lane to my house while it snuck onto the Lime the other day, and it was a really nice ride. The sound they make is just great, there's very few words other than that... Only downside was the rattle it made while stationary.

(27 Feb 2013, 11:51 pm)gtomlinson wrote There's probably a reason why those services have the oldest kit, look how long it took a money maker like the 21 to get decent buses!

Decent? ;-)
An improvement on the Presidents, but perhaps not 'decent'... Hahah!
Give me a Hybrid E400 instead!

(28 Feb 2013, 12:57 am)Adam Malarkey wrote Obviously GNE are making a lot of money off of Bus Fares and the selling on of the Olympians and SPD's in the fleet and on top of that you have the GreenBus Fund so I can't see why most if not all see New Buses come the Winter.

Plus you have the cost of the new depot on top of that aswell and fuel costs. Looks like a Massive year ahead for GNE

You said it - 2013 will be a massive year for Go North East, and that's why 'most, if not all' of the new vehicles will be gained this year. We have a confirmed 80, but nothing more. For 2013, I think that we'll see just that. 2014 will see the rest of the upgrades.

[Split] Go North East - February 2013 Posts