You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2019

(09 Aug 2019, 10:15 am)grandad wrote

I agree that some NSA's could be used more effectively.  We live in a very diverse part of the country with lots of points of interest which a lot of people know little about.

For example, on the Red Kite you could have something like:-

"The next stop is Winlaton Mill.  Alight here for the Land of Oak and Iron Heritage Centre and Derwentheugh Park"

"The next stop is Rowlands Gill.  Get off here to visit Gibside Chapel and Grounds."

"The next stop is Forge lane.  Alight here to visit the historic Dovecote Steel Furnace - the first steel furnace in the world"

Which other services could benefit from PoI's added to the NSA's?

As a regular commuter I certainly wouldn't mind the odd '...alight for X' if it was warranted. E.g. I think the stop 'High Level Bridge North' should be named properly & would warrant saying 'Next stop, Saint Nicholas St - alight here for Central Station'. 
Personally I don't think the NSAs should have bits added like '....the first X', '...the only X', or '...the best X in all the land!'. That would sound unprofessional and make you wonder if there was some sort of sponsorship or paid deal between the bus company and whatever the POI was.
And I think 'get off here for...' sounds too casual - Keep that for tour bus commentary.