You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019
(21 Nov 2019, 9:48 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I doubt it. The reason this will have been put in the manifesto is to target the 'youth' (of which I am very much the target), young people these days want everything for nothing, and it's just yet another 'free' thing that they are offering.

I agree that the system is broken, but I don't think nationalising it will help. What we need to do is stop pumping this 'sh!t load of money' into the companies, they are perfectly capable of funding it all themselves, but why would they when we offer them money to do it.
If Arriva was owned by a company that wasn't in it just to suck as much money out of it as they could, services in County Durham would be a hell of a lot better.

I believe that we need more competition in the North East, part of the reason services are so bad is because each company has their own area. I don't know how this could be done without having a system like London where each route is tendered out, but I don't think that's the right solution either.

You doubt that costings have been looked at and comparisons made with similar schemes across Europe? Interesting... 

My eldest is also in that category. 
He passed his driving test earlier this year and is struggling to cover the costs of his insurance, fuel and maintenance. With him being young, a black box was installed limiting his mileage. 
Despite this, he is reluctant to use public transport. It doesn't suit his needs, wants or expectations. It's inconvenient. It's unreliable. It can be expensive and the comparable journey times are not competitive at all. 

He won't be the only one in that position. 
He won't be the only one essentially forced on to the road, due to the decisions made by operators up and down the land. 
The same operators who complain that the roads are clogged and that using public transport is better for the environment. 

I'd hope you can see the irony in the behaviour shown by the operators here? 
If axed routes were re-introduced, if services became more efficient and suitable for the travelling publics needs, along with free fares for under 25's, then I would guarantee there would be less cars on the roads, causing less pollution.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2019