You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020

RE: Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020
(13 Feb 2020, 2:14 pm)Acky81 wrote Where would you have put it Michael

Be interesting to look into the stagecoach reasons for neglecting Sunderland interchange

Where the old central bus station was.

Stagecoach removed their services from Park Lane due to congestion problems (back when Sunderland had lots of separate routes), now it seems like they could go back in due to stands R, T, V are not currently used (Stand S only has the hourly 73, could include that), if Stagecoach to send their buses back in, it would only be towards of the likes of Hastings Hill, Plains Farm etc.

Stand R: 3/4
Stand S: 10/11/20
Stand T: 12/13
Stand V: 16/23

Some services wouldn't enter the bus station, the likes of the 8,18/18A and X24

(13 Feb 2020, 2:21 pm)Andreos1 wrote The central (or focus) points of a city or town centre move around over the years though.
They change and adapt. 

Look at Sunderland and John St/Fawcett St. I would argue they were the main areas until the Bridges was covered up. 
The pedestrianisation and tidying up of Park Lane indicated (to me anyway), that the focus point was going to move up that way and for a while, I think there were signs it was. 
It didn't quite work out like that though. Similar to the whole push towards Sunniside for a period.
Not sure it's the fault of the Park Lane Interchange planners, more the local economy. 

If you look at Newcastle, Northumberland St has been pedestrianised for years but is still popular. The Monument seems to be having its moment, Newgate St had its 5 minutes of fame and going back in time, the Quayside was the beating heart of the city. 
I'd say that only the Monument area has a decent amount of public transport running through it. Newgate St is just somewhere buses pass through and the it is only recently the Quayside has had a regular, reliable service.

Ye it does, Shame its still a dump, went for a walk through it today and there's nothing, should just bulldoze it all down and redo it all.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

RE: Stagecoach North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2020