Menu

BoroLad   10 Mar 2020, 8:26 pm
(09 Mar 2020, 5:02 pm)scanialover wrote You can see why Arriva service 81 between Guisborough and Stokesley is getting axed? Was on the 1348 trip ex Stokesley and all we carried between the two points was 3 or 4 individuals who did nothing but moan about Arriva and North Yorkshire County Council. I'll add that they were all travelling on concessionary passes so just how much revenue was generated there? Not enough to pay for the driver to have a pot of tea!! You can feel sorry for these people but times have changed.

On the same I'd be surprised if the 81 stays as it is come the next round of service revisions. Unless I'm missing something it doesn't seem to warrant two trips an hour
Mind, I decided to go down and try the 81 today, and was surprised at how busy the service was. I was on the 1035 ex Redcar and loadings were very good, especially on our way out of Guisborough, where it acts as effectively as the town service. There were 10 passengers heading to points beyond Guisborough, with most getting off at Stokesley but some at Great Ayton too (which reminds me - scrapping that section of the 81 will make Roseberry Topping significantly harder to access by bus). On my return I took the 28A which gets busy once you get into urban Middlesbrough, but was actually quieter than that 81 south of Nunthorpe.

The demographics of the route would be a concern either way though - just like you I noticed the vast majority of passengers were concessionary pass holders. But it didn't strike me as a service which has no demand.