You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East service levels during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

Go North East service levels during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020
(01 Apr 2020, 5:44 pm)Storx wrote Dw I did think about that, aren't half the staff on furlong now anyway so the wage bill won't be that high. I just don't think the bus companies should be getting bailed out as they're not small companies and should have plans to be able to overcome stuff like that without anything any consequences ie losing shares etc. Not to mention 3 depots are closed and half the fleet are off the road.

https://www.go-ahead.com/media/press-rel...m-dividend - Btw I did do some research beforehand and 75% of GoAhead's money is contracted anyway and they believe they can get through this unharmed. They're share price is also still £8.00 so there's money which could be raised there.

I just think bailing out isn't the right thing here there's many other industries in similar issues; gardening, event venues, breweries, airlines, hotels etc and you can't start bailing everyone out we don't have an unlimited money tree. It's more the 'bailing out' part I have the issue with, no-one should be getting free money in the millions especially those that we're privitised for that exact reason. If this continues for awhile then the only money that possibly should be given is to the local LA's / Nexus and let them decide what they want running and what they don't and let them share funds out to continue running a limited service etc such as Boxing Day.

Don't forget all the financial support operators have had with their BSOG, Green Bus Fund, ticketer machines, uplifts and whatever else. 
And that's just the every day stuff! 

If they want to be de-regulated, then they've got to be totally de-regulated and that includes the curtailment of all handouts, grants and subsidies imo.
Bus priority measures? Not a taxpayers problem. 
Emniox conversions? Sort it themselves. 

It really annoys me that operators seemingly never stop with their begging bowl and wide eyed stare of pity, but fought so hard against having that begging bowl taken off them under the QCS scheme.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Fast forward to two weeks from today.
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2020
RE: Rare & Odd Workings - 8 May 2020
RE: Rare & Odd Workings - 8 May 2020
[split] Commercial service changes - May 2020
RE: [split] Commercial service changes - May 2020
Scania L94's back at Deptford
RE: Scania L94's back at Deptford
RE: Scania L94's back at Deptford