You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

What are you doing now you can't go out?

RE: What are you doing now you can't go out?
(18 Apr 2020, 10:37 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Plastering is the one thing I would rather not do (other than taking out plumbing, I'm fine putting it in, but taking it out is someone else's department!). 

At mine, I completely changed the layout upstairs, moved the bedroom door, raised the landing ceiling back up to it's full height (the previous owner lowered it for some reason!), knocked the back two bedrooms into one (once again, the previous owners with their bright ideas had two bedrooms, each literally the width of a single bed!). So I have the staircase wall as well as the landing walls to do, the ceiling and the back bedroom all to plaster. I mean, the walls (other than the staircase wall) are all plasterboard so I could just tape and joint them but I just prefer a plastered wall!

The only room I've 'done' so far is my bedroom, and the walls that were already plastered had to be sanded down because whoever plastered them must have been a bit merry!

Have you checked the guttering? We had damp down one corner of the house and it turned out the water was splashing off the guttering and somehow managing to go under the roof.
Failing that, could be worth checking if your cavity walls are insulated properly. My mother is in the process of getting hers re-done under warranty as two of her bedrooms along the back wall are getting damp due to one part of the cavity not being insulated properly
The guttering was all spruced up when we replaced the roof. There was a lot of water leaking around the chimney on that side (we have 2 of them but the other one is absolutely fine) so that has been repointed and the flashing replaced. Condensation is definitely a factor as we have the same problem on the back corner of that wall, which is our bathroom, worse luck (dormer bungalow - you will have passed our house many times on your travels). From what we've read, though, blown in cavity wall insulation can cause more problems than it fixes in houses of this age.

It's frustrating because the front wall is bone dry. It's just that side wall that's the problem. 

We're supposed to be off for our Boris walk but husband just needed to finish something. I've been waiting 20 minutes for him to just finish and littlun has started to watch the snail and the whale for the second time through.