You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Buses over the Christmas and New Year Period

Buses over the Christmas and New Year Period

RE: Buses over the Christmas and New Year Period
(30 Dec 2013, 11:44 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I know people will shout and say bus drivers need a rest too, but at the end of the day certain jobs require certain demands. Hospitality, catering, public services are required on bank holidays etc. Certain jobs require a lot of working away, a lot of working from home out of hours and every job is the same.

The modern world is moving to a 24/7 way of working. People want access to services at extended hours, whether it be the bank, the supermarket, or the transport to get there. It's a culture change that everyone in the service industry is having to go through, as they aim to meet the demands of their customers.

I don't know how driver shifts work or whatever, but I'd imagine operators nowadays bring new recruits in on lesser terms and conditions than long serving staff. I wholeheartedly agree that drivers need a rest too, as does every employee in every company. Why does it have to be on a bank holiday though? There is no legal requirement for an employer to give an employee time off on a bank holiday. Going forward, surely it's got to be a better solution to include it in holiday entitlement instead, and drivers are still getting the said rest, but not necessarily on the day of a bank holiday.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook