Menu

Andreos1   06 Aug 2020, 10:21 pm
(06 Aug 2020, 12:11 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Quite frankly, I'd rather not, but I can see the point you're trying to make, I just happen to disagree that reducing the pricing would make enough of a difference to get more passengers. Although I do wonder whether GNE removing the ability to check single/return prices from the website was a conscious decision rather than it just being down to them changing platform like they made it out to be...

I don't think they're keeping single prices high to make give the impression other tickets are better value, and I don't necessarily think single tickets are /that/ expensive. Sure, they're perhaps not the best value out there, but they're not outrageous. 

I personally think the main issue with the single ticket pricing is the fare stages. You can travel several miles and stay within a fare stage, and pay less than £2, or you can travel one stop, but pass over a 'border' and be charged double. I can't remember who it was, but I think travelling from Birtley to CLS was an issue for pricing?

Might be worth doing the next time you're on a 2 hour trip on the x21 or waiting 30 mins for the next one that has space at a table. Will kill some time. 

As for the other bit about lowering prices not guaranteing an increase in profits. I agree. Its not guaranteed. However, there's many an example in public transport of the demand curve increasing with lower prices. There's been businesses built on that very model and there is many a business management theory which shows it can work.

The fact is, singles are expensive as operators use it to take advantage of the conc scheme. 
As a result, it has a negative impact on irregular passengers or those making one direction journies (like the ones mentioned previously or who work with your mam).

'Illegitimis non carborundum'