You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Gosforth Single Lane Traffic
(29 Aug 2020, 5:10 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I think the issue is the councils have have been given money by the government to support social distancing, and instead of using it wisely, they've gone through their list of things they want to try but couldn't justify, then used the free money and special planning exemptions to just go ahead and do it. If it doesn't work, it hasn't affected their budget.

And I wouldn't say I don't care, just that one way systems for the sake of it just don't work.
If walking past someone outdoors is enough to catch COVID, then so is walking 2m behind some walking the same direction, you're walking straight through the air they've just breathed out. You can walk 10m behind someone that's smoking and still taste the smoke in the air, COVID sticks around in the air as well.

You suggest that councils are just doing what they want, but this couldn't be further from the truth. They're following the Government instruction that has been issued in the form of the 'safer public places - urban centres and green spaces' guidance. See specifically part 4 - management of urban centres. The 'free money' you talk about is based on footfall, so they don't get any more than they need.

The only reason one way systems don't work is because people are too ignorant or think they know better than to use them. Its as if some people are capable of following basic instruction. Its not hard to follow arrows and show patience towards others.

(29 Aug 2020, 8:10 pm)Storx wrote I thought the money was for cycling schemes rather than social distancing stuff but I could be wrong.

There's two separate pots of money. There was a £2 billion fund for cycling and walking routes, then another £50 million fund for reopening high streets safely.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Gosforth Single Lane Traffic