You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

New Housing Estates and Other Developments

RE: New Housing Estates and Other Developments
(03 Oct 2020, 4:07 pm)Adrian wrote I fear that is the attitude that operators are taking, sad as it may seem! But you're never going to attract more people onto public transport, when they cannot get access to public transport.

Access to public transport was the number one thing on my list when I was looking for a house. Access to GNE in particular, although a short trip on an Arriva to get to GNE would be fine. 
That's why I decided to move down to Bishop (That, and being 30 miles away from people I went to school with so there's basically zero chance of bumping into them and having to pretend it's nice to see them!)

(03 Oct 2020, 4:54 pm)MurdnunoC wrote A lot of new residents will have kids who'll need to use public transport until they're old enough to take driving lessons and get a car.

While I appreciate the freedom of having your own mode of motorised transport is extremely appealing to a seventeen-year-old, I think more needs to be done by bus operators to deter this from happening. After all, school children who are using public transport today are potentially your full-fare paying customers of tomorrow, and if the provision isn't there then they'll always opt for the utility of the car/bike/scooter over the bus.

To be honest, when I was 17, getting a car was at the bottom of my list of things I wanted. The expense of driving lessons, car insurance, car tax and fuel just didn't appeal to me when I can pay less than my friends pay in insurance alone on a bus ticket.
Sure, it's not as 'convenient' as having my own car, but the savings more than make up for it.