You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Leyland National 50
Having being on leave over the past few weeks, I was handed back my passport and received permission from the offices of our Dear Leaders to travel back to the United Kingdom for the purposes of leisure and merriment. Upon landing at the Carlisle and Lakes Airport, I noticed a flyer advertising this event and decided to pop along and sample what was on offer.

I think this was my first time in Whitehaven - although I have passed through the town on train. It is a congested, narrow, and hilly place with housing stock that wouldn't look out of place in a depressing film or television drama set in the 1980s. While the town seems to contain its fair share of amenities, it comes across as run down, or at least that's the impression I was left with.

Upon arrival I saw an Olympian being directed onto the harbour before having to do a convoluted three-point turn whilst cars were inexplicably attempted to squeeze by either side of the vehicle without being prevented from doing so by the stewards. I also saw the same vehicle attempting a similar manoeuvre into a tight car-park near Tesco where buses were parked between runs. There were also complaints about how drivers were getting lost, or taking too much time, on runs going around the town because they were unfamiliar with the area, which suggests the some of the logistics of the event could have been better prepared or organised.

All that aside, the buses on display were in top condition and there was a chance to ride various types buses around the town centre, in addition to other destinations such as the Park and Ride site, and the former Leyland factory at Lillyhall. I found the latter a bit underwhelming, in all honesty. While I appreciate it may have been the birthplace on many of the vehicles on display today, the site itself is mostly derelict and looks like an abandoned wasteland littered with empty industrial units. Possibly not the best destination to bring casual attendees of the event although, as I understand, it is due to be demolished soon so, perhaps, it was the last chance to see the former shell of the Leyland production line.

Criticisms aside, it was a decent day out and a relief from the daily pressures of life in downtown Pyongyang.

Leyland National 50