You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses

RE: North East BSIP: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses
(20 Aug 2022, 5:27 am)Dan wrote Unlike CBSSG, the support from BRG wasn’t enough to bring Go North East to breakeven point - they’re still a loss-making business.

The cuts from Go North East would have happened regardless of BRG being there or not.

If I was a betting man, I’d say that cuts from other operators in this region will still go ahead at the end of October too - especially Arriva for any cuts linked to Jesmond, now the depot itself is linked to those cuts. The overheads saving from closing a depot is likely to be a lot higher than the revenue income from BRG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time will tell I suppose but it certainly does appear at the moment, GNE bolted a bit early less than a year ago these service changes were implement the key benefits as follows (taken from GNE’s website): rev
  • East Gateshead frequency revisions, meaning improved combined frequencies on common corridors with services running every 7/8 minutes between Newcastle and Deckham, Leam Lane and Heworth, and on Old Durham Road.
  • New evening and Sunday service 8. 
  • Service 265 increased from every 60 minutes to every 30 minutes providing much improved east-west movement across Durham, and new late evening and Sunday journeys. 
  • Service X1 extended to Dalton Park and Peterlee, providing new connections. 
  • Service 2A diverted via Leechmere to improve access to Asda. 
  • Reinstatement of cross Jarrow on 26, giving more frequent connections from Hebburn to South Tyneside Hospital. 
  • Introduction of new cross-Durham links by extending service 21 to Brandon, giving direct connections to key sites such as University Hospital, New College and Arnison Centre. 
  • Extension of service 47 to Consett gives a new Sunday service on V9 and introduces direct service to Metrocentre from Medomsley and Leadgate. 
  • Improved frequency of service to Gateshead Quays throughout the day and week with service 53/54, including more regular evening service. 
  • Simpler, easier to understand Washington local network.

A year on, many of those changes have been reversed or cut back - a couple remain in place (or have continued at the expense of other services) but it’s hardly a shining light. Yes the company has to make money but it’s a fine line as were already at the point when buses aren’t taking people were they need to be.

RE: £804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses
Ne14ne1
RE: Ne14ne1
Ne14ne1
£804 Million Pound Plan For North East Buses
Ne14ne1