You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Lumo
Had my first Lumo ride last week and I have to say I think I will continue to fly to EDI or get LNER first class. Only went Lumo as it was a very last minute journey and LNER prices were sky high and flights full.

First thing I noticed was there was no where near enough space for luggage (took people about 30 minutes from leaving Kings Cross to get everything sorted), seats for someone who is over 6ft were so uncomfortable and I couldn't reach into my bag to get things out of it, such as chargers and cables. The seats were hard, and for supposedly being angled at an ideal pitch, I just couldn't get comfortable and they seemed far too low. Legroom was also a huge issue - lot of which was taken up by my rucksack, which normally fits under my legs so I can stretch out - but due to the seat pitch I couldn't do this which rendered the 4-and-a-bit hour ride really uncomfortable. The seats had a really annoying support that meant you couldn't properly fit your bag under the seat in front which also was irritating and meant a good 45-minute shuffle to try and get somewhat comfortable.

The announcements onboard seemed like they had taken the BA script and altered it, minus "doors to automatic and cross-check". At one point we were held outside of Darlington (we were ahead of schedule) and the Customer Driver announced why we were waiting - even though we were perfectly on time. Same kind of message when we pulled into Kings Cross on the return 1 minute late. Maybe it's customer service but there was no change in time and no rules regarding staying in seats until you came to a stop to stop people falling over - it just felt really unnecessary.

Overall - yes, they are cheaper but I don't think I would sacrifice an hour flight, having plenty of space to avoid a luggage debacle for 45 minutes or a little bit more comfort on LNER next time for a little bit more cash.

Aircraft flown on:

744, 77W, 772, E145, E190, E170, E175, E195, A319, A320, A320NEO, A321, A321NEO, A330-200, A330-300, A340-600 763, 752, 733, 737, 738, CRJ900, CRJ1000
Favourite aircraft: G-STBL/G-ZBKL

Lumo