You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Optare Solo Command Support Units (CSU) for the Fire Service

Optare Solo Command Support Units (CSU) for the Fire Service

RE: Fire Bus
(19 Feb 2023, 12:23 am)streetdeckfan wrote What engines do the Solos use?

I know GNE's Streetlites that have been modified (I remember reading it was the engine mounts replaced?) are so much better for idle vibrations now.

Most Streetdecks I've been on have been rattle free (which admittedly hasn't been that many recently), with the few bad ones nearly always being upstairs with either the panel on the front (for the blind I assume), and the big one at the top of the staircase.

The B5s are probably a bit worse, but I think mostly come from the same problem areas

Believe it's
Arriva Solo's: Mercedes Engine / Allison Gearbox
GNE Solo SR's: Daimler Engine / Allison Gearbox

I could be wrong though as I know there's Cummins and Voith examples around aswell.

Aye to be fair most Wright Double Deckers are generally alright, some are bit off lately it's the single deckers which are appalling. Gone down the pot in the last 15 year. Pulsar's aren't particularly much better than Streetlite's either. Yeah the front panel is for the blind though, I can always remember as a kid you could watch the driver's moving the blinds around on the old Cityzen's at Blyth as there was a gap.

(19 Feb 2023, 10:55 am)Andreos1 wrote It's amazing that car manufacturers have dedicated teams and departments to eliminate or reduce rattles.
I remember speaking to someone (in a work capacity) working for JLR who said it can often be as simple as moving or adding an extra sticky pad to a certain part of the body. 
Yet the bus manufacturing industry seem to just let it slide.

Yeah totally agreed, obviously there's always arguments that there's always going to be some because of the miles they do but Optare buses, Streetlites, Pulsars and anything ADL have been rattling since new so they can't really use that excuse. It's the exact same places aswell.

Fire Bus