You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency

Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency

RE: Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency
(05 Aug 2023, 3:14 pm)Malarkey wrote I'd re-introduce the X2 and have it run limited stop from Sunderland via Penshaw, Washington Galleries, Springwell, Wrekenton, Q.E. Hospital and Gateshead Interchange to Newcastle.

Another suggestion I'd like to make in regards to going through Gateshead for the likes of the 21/27/28/28/56/57/58/X1/X21, rather than serve the Interchange going into Newcastle why not serve High Street and then head straight over the Tyne Bridge which would shave off several minutes thus speeding up journey's and have them serve the Interchange only on the return, it would also reduce costs on the fees GNE pay Nexus to use the Interchange over using High Street which would cost significantly less.

Also for the "Express Services" I'd have them run around the Central Motorway and come in via Barrass Bridge with a potential stop replacing St.Mary's Place here often traffic can get congested around John Dobson Street more so now with the major building developments ongoing thus impacting reliability, coming back over from Newcastle I'd only have them stop at High Level Bridge and would for the X21/X71/X72 I would drop stopping at Wilkinson's/The Gate as time is added for stopping/hitting traffic lights then navigating down Bigg Market and can be a pain also due to traffic blocking the yellow box coming/to from Central Station.

In terms of putting service back to original frequency and an improvement for reliability I would say the 53/54 needs to be looked at as this now my local service having recently moved house I have found boards of these services being cancelled, particularly the very early morning runs which on a number of occasions has led to me either going down onto Teams for the 6/10's into Newcastle or going via Gateshead and getting the Metro through to work.

Bring back the X2/X3 (hourly)  but let it be become a local services around the new estates, with the express from Sunderland, University, Royal Hosptial then stops upto all the new estates, then Washington, then Non-Stop to

Eighton Banks (hourly X3) - Wrekton - QE - Gateshead - Newcastle 

Team Valley (X2) - Gateshead - Newcastle

RE: Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency