You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
Looking at that latest press release GNE still don't get it - it's not all about the money - they still refer to 'slowing down' the introduction of revised conditions - and that's where the sticking point will be. I'm sure GNE will have been holding out for a last minute 'Hail Mary' in american football terms and trying to stop the strike or at least delay it, and to try to force Unite to take the offer to their members. Hopefully the branch chairs and secretaries have had enough nouse about them to agree the 'no deal' points at the branch meetings and in collaborations with other branches agree what the shared priorities were, it would certainly appear that way.

100% behind the drivers, and yes some innocent people are going to be massively inconvenienced as part of this, that is unfortunately unavoidable due to GNEs complete ineptitude, and suggestions from some that doing strike days here and there would have been better - yeah I'm sure it would have been for you so that you aren't inconvenienced! The point of a strike to to cause inconvenience. The Japanese model of working but not taking fares would not work here because so much of the revenue is propped up by local or central government grants now - there would be no noticeable impact to GNE realistically, and they'd just discipline the drivers involved - I know a lot of you are saying no they wouldn't - believe me, they would! A strike is a legal way of protest despite successive governments attempts to outlaw it.

There is one other thing which most people won't have thought about though with that many buses being off the road for a week - how many batteries will conk out either at first use check, or at first layover - it's normally bad enough after a bank holiday and jump packs can only be used so many times on a charge.

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
RE: Disruptions and driver shortages