You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva Northumbria - North Tyneside/South East Northumberland Network

Arriva Northumbria - North Tyneside/South East Northumberland Network

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
(07 Nov 2023, 12:41 pm)Storx wrote It's funny I see the impacts totally different to what you see. Personally I'd say

2, 35, 43, 44, 45, 47, 57A, 306, 308, 434, 553, X14, X15, X16, X18 - No Impact

1 - Small impact, Bedlington Station to Ashington
57 - Small impact, Seaton Delaval connecting to Metro (I do this and so do others)
X22 - Small impact, North Ashington, down to 2 BPH
X9 - Small impact, around Bebside Station, too far to walk for most - no changes, new housing at West Cramlington will help it, potential to increase to 3 BPH?

X10/X11 - Medium impact, Blyth to Newcastle traffic but Cramlington traffic will still exist, merged as a superroute and dropped to 3 BPH. Combined with X9, 6 BPH Cramlington to Newcastle? Unsure what to do with Druridge Drive.

X7 - Big impact, unsustainable Seaton Delaval to Blyth, it's quiet as it is and very slow especially at peaks, 1 BPH Blyth to Newcastle, 1 BPH Holywell (loop Tillmouth) to Newcastle?
X8 - Big impact, unsustainable Cramlington to Blyth, no Newcastle traffic and no need for 4 BPH combined with above, 1 BPH Blyth to Newcastle, 1 BPH Cramlington to Newcastle, combined with X7 to give 2 BPH Newcastle to South Beach?
X21 - Big impact, Bedlington station area in both directions, dropped to 2 BPH, combined 4 BPH with 1/2 in shared sections.

Won't reply to each service, but:
  • I don't understand how the X8 is unsustainable between Blyth and Cramlington? It's not a section of the route that is at all impacted by the train, so it's surely just as sustainable as it is now? It's the only service between South Beach and Cramlington, as well as several other unique passenger flows. 
  • Similar with the X7. It doesn't serve areas that are anywhere near the train stations in Blyth, and is the unique service along Amersham Road. Even with Seaton Delaval, a walk from Earsdon Avenue to the site of the station is 20 minutes while you'd already be passing Quorum on the X7. There will almost certainly be some impact, but the route is only served by one station on the line, and isn't this reportedly being delayed?
  • On the X21, and to an extent the 1, I think there's a misunderstanding of the passenger numbers and flows on those services. There are lots of little hops, and lots of people who realistically aren't going to splash out on a train ticket when the bus is free. It's all well and good saying there's a station at Bedlington Station and one at Ashington, but if the train + walking time is more than the bus, then nobody is going to use it. Northumberland College, Wansbeck Hospital, Jubilee Industrial Estate, and the Welwyn are nowhere near the train station, yet the bus stops directly outside all of them (small walk for Jubilee), and will likely stop closer to their house too. There are also other huge passenger flows for the X21 in particular. Newbiggin to Ashington, Ashington to Bedlington, Ashington (Wansbeck Hospital, Milburn Road, The Elephant), Stakeford, Bedlington (Rothesay Terrace, Allgood Terrace, Front Street, Red House Farm/Meadowdale estates), and Nedderton to Newcastle, and all points on the route to Cramlington Industrial Estate where you often see crowds waiting/alighting in both directions at peak times. 

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action