You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Apply for zero emission bus funding (ZEBRA 2)

RE: Apply for zero emission bus funding (ZEBRA 2)
(17 Jan 2024, 10:35 pm)mb134 wrote Imagine it's largely down to Newcastle introducing the CAZ, so they were forced to invest in routes which serve Newcastle ahead of others. 

I obviously don't know the GNE financials, but I would imagine some of their highest revenue routes (which can justify new vehicles) are those which serve the biggest city in the region. Given the nature of the GNE network, many of these routes also pass through Gateshead prior to getting to Newcastle which again is another major place along the route to make money. I think another issue is that with the lack of recent investment in even these routes (the Angel Streetdecks are nearly 7 years old), it means that nothing newer can be cascaded to the rest of the network hence seeing 2006 E400s on routes like the 16 and 58 plate Tridents on the 21. It's the same problem as Arriva have really, just in their case they have a load of single deckers from around 2009 which aren't quite ready for the scrap yard, but when they are they'll pretty much all need replacing at once.

In fairness, I'm surprised Deptford (maybe technical I don't know?) isn't sustainable for some form of electric buses.

The 2/2A, 56 and 60 seem the sort of routes which would be ideal for it and would benefit many different areas and even Newcastle if the 56 was chosen. Seem more beneficial than the X66 which people are on for 10 minutes max.

All 3 routes are pretty much crying out for investment aswell really with those buses displaced to see off Versa's etc.