You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency

Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency

RE: Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency
(04 Feb 2024, 12:15 pm)Andreos1 wrote Data gathered from the vehicles or actual data from people who would make the modal switch if there was a viable alternative?

It goes without saying that the data they gather on their vehicles is useful. But it's only useful in gathering data for existing passengers. 
Not data from the ones who have moved on or never touched public transport in the first place. 

The proportion of people using public transport regularly vs the proportion that don't, shows how many views/opinions/needs aren't taken in to consideration when these changes, revisions or tweaks are made. 
A pro-active operator would seek these out at whatever cost*. Because even a small proportion of car users switching to a viable alternative, not only makes helps those profits, but it has a huge positive impact on reliability.

*I'd hazard a guess the ROI is far greater than titivations ever were.

I think the ticketing data (especially smart) is useful, but it's so full of flaws and lacks any kind of joined up thinking. If we're ever going to have a proper understanding of how the network is used, there needs to be a single joined-up smart ticketing system, like the one we were promised many moons ago. At present, if I buy a TNE Day Rover on the GNE app for example, I can't scan it on the Metro or on Stagecoach buses, so you lose all that vital data. 

Another issue is the £2 flat fare. I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but check the fare stage next time you buy one. There's no consistency. I've had fares issued to the terminus, rarely to the destination (or fare stage) I ask for, but more often than not, it's to the next fare stage only. I wonder how this data helps operators to understand how their services are used? A sudden influx of short-hop users?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

RE: Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency