You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency

Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency

RE: Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency
(04 Feb 2024, 2:05 am)Jimmi wrote At least some of the boards on the X20 require double deckers for peak time loadings to/from Langley Park which was why some 20 boards were being allocated double deckers in the X20's absence.

Not too sure beyond that if the X20 really requires deckers, although at least its more Euro 6 CAZ compliant deckers that could be sent to Newcastle on the 56 if required.

Fair points about the Langley Park decker requirements, pretty much what I thought that it wasn't really needed elsewhere though. True about the extra deckers for the 56 though mind.

(04 Feb 2024, 12:15 pm)Andreos1 wrote Data gathered from the vehicles or actual data from people who would make the modal switch if there was a viable alternative?

It goes without saying that the data they gather on their vehicles is useful. But it's only useful in gathering data for existing passengers. 
Not data from the ones who have moved on or never touched public transport in the first place. 

The proportion of people using public transport regularly vs the proportion that don't, shows how many views/opinions/needs aren't taken in to consideration when these changes, revisions or tweaks are made. 
A pro-active operator would seek these out at whatever cost*. Because even a small proportion of car users switching to a viable alternative, not only makes helps those profits, but it has a huge positive impact on reliability.

*I'd hazard a guess the ROI is far greater than titivations ever were.

See, if this 'enhanced partnership' is more than some buzzwords people are throwing around to get funding, I personally think the data research should be the job of Nexus / Transport North East with the operators each putting their share of funds and passenger data in so they can get a full picture of things.

When you've got 3 operators with their own 'turfs' then they're never going to be interested in areas beyond their own areas so the data will always be flawed. It really needs to be someone independent from it all, then working together - build a network which works for everyone with integrated tickets etc. Plus it would be cheaper anyway than having 4 seperate studies doing the same thing pretty much (Metro / GNE / Arriva / Stagecoach).

Not to mention there's conflicts of interests, we need to cut costs, well this estate is a pain in the arse, let's find some 'data' to proove that it's pointless serving there sort of nonsense. There's lots of it, in these 'consultations' that happen anyway.

I seriously question whether the data exists lately, as the councils seem convinced that every car heading over the Tyne Bridge is heading into Newcastle City Centre.

RE: Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency