You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Change of Mayoralty in the North East

RE: Change of Mayoralty in the North East
(11 Apr 2024, 2:11 pm)Adrian wrote From the transport hustings I attended in Newcastle, the Lib Dem and Green candidate also supported the idea of a franchised bus network.

The Tory, perhaps as expected, spoke a lot about caution about punishing motorists (which I think is the national narrative?) and the Reform candidate didn't really for or against the model, but towed some of the same line as the Tory about motorists.

It needs to be, but I think realistically it'll be taken over largely as is, then gradual reforms and changes made.

There'll be a lot for everyone to learn, if we're to move forward with this model, and I think one of the biggest decisions will be ensuring we've got the right management in place. As things stand, I'm not convinced we do have. We've a Joint Transport Committee that make the decisions, without a single public transport user amongst them. I think Gannon and Hughes only see a bus when they're stood between it and a camera.

I make no secret about being a big supporter of Jamie Driscoll, but I hope whoever gets in, the first thing they realise is that this never-ending pointless branding just doesn't work. It doesn't need to be branded anything other than 'Transport North East' or whatever the trading name is.

As for colour scheme, then yes, I'd say it makes sense to paint them similar to the Metro, but it's really the least of our worries with the current network. 

I agree in the sense the network is way more important, but a quick win in deciding on a colour scheme should allow them to focus on the bigger picture and get the network re-built, with the added colour scheme ready to roll out to help support any PR, profile raising, events and consultations.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'