You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Tyneside Heritage Vehicles
(02 Jun 2024, 8:47 pm)Storx wrote I think the bigger problem is no-one cares. Old buses just aren't interesting to 99.9% of people unless they're really old, Routemasters etc. Trains are the same pretty much, no-one wants to go and see a Class 319 at a museum as they're dull as dish water.

I'm part of that 99.9% aswell, there's no real revenue from them so the only way they're going to stay afloat is if someone rich funds them imo.

I agree in some respects but not others. Preservation does largely rely on people who have the money to save a vehicle but there are ways preservation clubs can generate revenue. NNRG are a good example of this by offering monthly memberships, open days, and the fish and chip runs etc. I'm not sure if THV or NEBPT offer anything similar.
I suggested in a previous message a few months ago that preserved buses could be used for special event shuttles etc. 

I think a big problem with the bus industry now is that it is not being run by proper bus people like it did for many years in the NGT and early Go-Ahead Northern days. These were people who took real pride and care in the buses and in their work. Sadly like a lot of industries now they are ran by people who are university graduates who have the qualifications to run a business but have very little interest or emotional connection to buses. It's all about money now and this probably why the interest in buses for the public has declined over the years too.

(22 Jun 2024, 9:10 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Saw 3771 heading off on what appeared to be a journey to it's final resting place this afternoon, passing through Gateshead on tow by Alpha looking to have been partly cannibalised.  A sad end.

Such a shame to hear this. Was looking forward to seeing this being fully restored. Does anyone know if  there any ex-NGT C reg metrobuses in preservation or have they all now bitten the dust? Also does anyone have any idea which THV vehicles have survived and which ones have been scrapped? Thanks

Tyneside Heritage Vehicles