You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: WiFi Provision
(17 Feb 2014, 9:58 pm)Dan wrote Yes, and that's when Go North East started looking for a fix. It wasn't as simple as one may assume and took a rather long time to actually find out what the problem was. citaro5284 mentioned at the time that three or more parties were involved in fixing the Wi-Fi on buses - you make it sound like GNE simply weren't arsed about fixing the Wi-Fi! There was no workaround - just a fix. The fix itself is actually quite complex and takes a bit of time to perform.

Do you not think that's a better idea..? Fixing vehicles before they enter service?
The Drifters were the guinea-pigs, as it were. The fix was first applied to these vehicles and they were monitored for a certain period of time to ensure that the Wi-Fi was indeed working. It wasn't exactly a 'quick fix' and required the buses, one at a time, to be VOR for the day. You'll have seen CatFast101's daily queries at the time...
Customers on the Fab56 and Cobalt Clipper shouldn't be complaining as the Wi-Fi should be working on all vehicles - the fix was applied to these vehicles before they entered service for that very reason. It means that those customers aren't affected and they are unaware of any issues there may have been with the Wi-Fi on buses.

I thought you'd appreciate every vehicle in the fleet being looked at... Certainly not something every company in the world would do to ensure that there are no problems...............

Go North East has paid for Wi-Fi to be fitted to these vehicles, so yes it is worth fixing - and it will be fixed. Again, I reiterate, the focus has been ensuring that no other new vehicles are affected.
Passengers who always have their Wi-Fi enabled and have connected to one of Go North East's hotspots in the past will automatically connect and they should notice a speedier Internet connection when browsing.

Wrote out a reply last night and my battery ran out.
Couldn't be ar$ed to write it again, but will cover the gist of it again.

Whilst not disputing, disagreeing or arguing with any of your points, WiFi problems were encountered with the x1 long before any of the new vehicles arrived on these shores.
If I was in purchasing or signing off the cheque for additional wifi equipment for new vehicles, I would want to know the problems (whether new or old problems) were rectified and resolved BEFORE fitting them to the Citaro's, Streetlites etc.
I would also ensure that kit was working BEFORE running out the Citaro's and Streetlites.
If a fault was identified after this point, I would again ensure it was resolved before the new Gemini's arrived and more money had been spent on their wifi kit.

As aureolin has said, 4 months is a long time to have not resolved the issues.
WiFi is one of the usp's on the 4, it is advertised and is promoted as a perk.

If CrossCountry trains can get wifi installed and working across its entire fleet of trains in 6 months, I fail to understand why GNE/Moovbox cant do the same with 12/13 Citaro's in 4 months.

As I say, not arguing with you, just cant see the logic in decision making based on the information you have passed on
'Illegitimis non carborundum'

WiFi Provision