You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

What are you listening to right now? (The Music Thread)

What are you listening to right now? (The Music Thread)

RE: What are you listening to right now? (The Music Thread)
My Primary School years occurred in the late 80's. So while Frankie Goes To Hollywood might have been on the playlist at school discos/parties (I can't remember), the rest were certainly not. I remember Bros, New Kids on the Block and Brother Beyond being popular at the time and my class had a number of passionate Brosettes. I also remember Stock, Aitken and Waterman produced artists such as Rick Astley, The Reynold Girls, Kyle Minogue, Bananarama and Sonia being played at school events as well as the local youth club in Blaydon.

I don't remember attending too many school organised events when I went to Comprehensive school. However, every Friday night, there was the youth club at Winlaton Centre which was notorious for underage drinking, smoking and the consumption of drugs. The Centre, as it was colloquially known, actually had Decks and a range of budding DJ's - usually older kids between the ages of 15-18. The music played at The Centre was predominately Rave. Not just chart stuff like Altern8, Shades of Rhythm and Bizzare Inc, but also the more hardcore stuff like Neuromancer, Ezeee Posse, 2 Bad Mice and Manix. Looking back - it was quite strange!