You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Service X93
The first time I have used the X93 was at the beginning of this year and have only used the off peak timetable. I normally travel on the 10:25 departure from Middlesbrough (and for the times I have used it this year has always been single deck).

Passenger loadings seem to vary according to weather and from the Middlesbrough end I have observed most passengers seem to have a free pass.

I have travelled once all the way to Scarborough and then back again. When boarding in Scarborough, most passengers seemed to be fare paying and from observation most 'free pass' passengers travel between Whitby and Middlesbrough (as I say these are just things I noticed).

As for the buses I have used on the route, majority have been Scania Omnicity, one Temsa, A Prestiege and one Enviro 400 (the time I travelled from Scarborough to Middlesbrough). The Scania seemed to cope well with the route - only downside is standing passengers. The Temsa (first time I had travelled on one) also seemed to manage really well but I don't like the seating arrangement. The Prestiege, I have a soft spot for them and it managed well (sure it was 4081 but not sure on Arriva fleet numbers). As for the Enviro, in it's favour it had enough seats.

I haven't been one one of the Volvo B7's yet. From what I have read, size of engine seems to be brought up quite a lot. However, I think the gearbox has a lot to do with it as well. I don't like the Arriva E400's but I do like the Stagecoach version. I also like the Volvo B7TL although how it will do on the X93 remains to be seen. A good comparison I think would be comparing one of the ex London Volvo's against one of the Alexander bodied examples with different gearbox.

As for different buses, I like the ex London Dafs but not sure how they would work on that route (seem to go fine on hills from my experience). Or how about Arriva try different double deck types from other Arriva companies and see how they do on the route then they could buy there own or loan them for the peak season or swap for some of their vehicles. I know this idea is not the cheapest but surely it is plausible and allows different vehicle types to be tried on the route. Comparisons could also be done on fuel consumption etc.

Anyway, just my views and experience from riding on the service. I hope to try out the summer timetable soon (well when it starts at least) and hopefully try one of the Volvo's =]

Service X93