You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: GNE Service X21
Re the Pronto X20. It started as an experiment and I would say it did quite well between Durham and Sunderland, however, there was little through traffic across Durham, save for the odd concessionary pass holder having a ride out. That is what led to its demise.

What I did notice however, is that people from Houghton were reluctant to use it and it was because they were under the misconception that it was limited stop along Durham Road. I remember many times pulling into Houghton and a 20 would appear behind, and everybody would go for that. Also remember being waved past at the Board Inn and Lidl heading into Sunderland, so they could catch the 20?!?!

I'm not going to comment on the condition of the Pronto Presidents, although I will point out that having spent most of their lives plodding around London they do, by and large, cope with this demanding route well. I will concede that the interior layout is not perfect but from a drivers viewpoint they are a doddle to drive; comfortable and light with excellent visibility.

The best buses, in my opinion, to be used on this route are the K-reg Olympians that OK bought (they became 3808-10 with GNE). They were the last bespoke design for this service, uprated engines and high back seats with high capacity. Oh for the days of simple engineering!

GNE Service X21
Re: RE: GNE Service X21