You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc

RE: Sunderland Area Developments - St Mary's Way, Vaux, New Wear Bridge etc
(09 Jul 2014, 6:50 pm)Brandon Stone wrote Does anyone know if the plans have changed at all since 2011 for the Wearmouth Bridge roundabout?

There is a plan on page 25 of 59 of the book (31 of 72 of the actual PDF).

It says that two-way traffic would be instigated on Bridge Street, which potentially allows buses direct access from Fawcett Street to the Wearmouth Bridge. While I like the idea in that buses may not have to traverse around High Street West, Bedford Street and West Wear Street, I'm wondering if the shorter / more direct route via Bridge Street would cause greater congestion in Fawcett Street, exaggerated possibly by long signal dwell times at the bridgehead junction. If the 8/20 continue to stay at the bottom end of Fawcett Street, and only the first bus stop used in Fawcett Street for the 19/23/E1/E2/E6 & 35, could the top two bus stops in Fawcett Street be discontinued, freeing up the road-space for two northbound exit lanes?

"Wearmouth Bridgehead Signalisation involves the conversion of the A1018 Wearmouth Bridge / A1018 West Wear Street / A183 St Mary’s Way roundabout to signal control. The scheme includes a new bus lane from Wearmouth Bridge southbound to West Wear Street southbound, a dedicated free-flow slip from Vaux Boulevard to Wearmouth Bridge northbound (hugely benefiting the Sunderland Connect 700/701!), and a revised layout at the junction of West Wear Street. This layout is presented in Figure 4-6."

Despite my reservations at the time, the Wheatsheaf gyratory changes have proved successful. Fingers crossed this scheme too won't serve any major traffic headaches upon completion!

Brandon, i have being looking for that document everywhere.

Ye, that was the proposal, it looks much better than the current roundabout
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

RE: St Mary's Way, Sunderland