You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Park Lane getting built
(12 Jun 2013, 8:31 am)AdamY wrote I've got to admit that I preferred the old Eldon Square Bus Concourse to the new one. It felt more like a bus station and less like a shopping mall with a few bus stops attached to it. My main point of contention though is about having to wait to alight from a bus. In the old concourse, the bus either pulled into the first bus stop when entering the concourse (outside the old cafe) or the bus stop down the side of Marks and Spencer's. Now, you have to wait in a queue of buses, waiting for other buses to reverse out of bays. It's a nightmare, especially in the morning.

Made even worse when it is built around a MultiStory Car Park and then if something breaks down either at the traffic lights Coming into Eldon Square/Leaving Haymarket it causes chaos and then if something breaks down inside either Bus Station it gets even worse.

I'll use these examples.

1.) Pedestrian Hit By a Bus in Park Lane a few weeks back. Everything came to a standstill and all services had to the stands the 60/61 use etc and then Eldon Square/Haymarket a few days back someone got hit by a bus on the main stretch of road at the Entrance/Exit to both Bus Stations. And the Police taped off from the exit to Eldon Square to the Entrance of Haymarket while they investigated what happened.

I think with Park Lane on the main part where the 20/35/2A/2C stop etc there should be another exit either up by Greggs like the used to be or on the corner which leads to the Traffic Lights on the current exit from Park Lane.

As for Eldon Square/Haymarket gods knows as there is no other area to my knowledge to place a Bus Station in Newcastle City Centre.

Park Lane getting built