You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion
(01 Jan 2015, 8:40 pm)mb134 wrote I'd reckon, if the X21/22 has seen growth in line with what some of the other Sapphire routes have, they'll get new buses within a couple more years. Can't remember which route it is but I'm positive I've saw a comment or something somewhere stating that the older E400's used on said route are being replaced this year (think it might be the 280 route).

Sure is - the 280 Aylesbury - Oxford is getting a batch of new Enviro 400's this year. More to do with the fact that the current stock is too old for the Oxford LEZ. The current E400's are heading to Hemel Hempstead for use on service 320 to Rickmansworth, alongside new Streetlites on service 100/101 Luton - Stevenage.

(01 Jan 2015, 9:04 pm)9920up wrote Interesting views. Certainly the likes of sapphire  shouldn't  be expected to be run with aged stock, not as a premier  service.  It does raise other policy questions though. For example the omni city's for the X66  These are nigh on 10 at the point of entry onto a high speed front line MAX service. Maybe their time should be limited as well
Also,  bear in mind that ANE ensure book values are always nil and some more before vehicles are withdrawn. Recent Darts and Prestige examples have all only gone after 17 or more years. 

MAX is a concept designed by North East & Yorkshire to improve inter-urban routes. It will soon become standard across longer distance routes I am sure, and it's already been adopted by Wales, Shires and I understand soon Midlands too. They're refurbishing existing stock but yes there will come a time when they're due to be replaced - certainly the Scanias on X26/X66 are 10 years old like you say and are well past their best.

The new engineering director is starting to get to make his mark on the fleet too, of course the state of the fleet has been improved drastically over the last year or so. I am hoping that we can start repainting existing stock that needs it - some of the S-reg Darts and Prestiges lasted their whole lives on their original coat of paint!

I think the purchase of the Volvo B9TL's is a good view into the future... purchasing vehicles specifically for routes rather than a "one size fits all" approach, as in the past. Using Darts on the 213/214 from new is an example of previous wrong purchases, they were never designed to do work like that so its no wonder they were absolutely knackered at the end.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion V2.0