You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion
(09 Jan 2015, 9:08 pm)aureolin wrote I work with a lot of people from Bishop Auckland, and most tend to use the Arriva 6, based on both price and frequency. GNE offer a Pronto saver for £22.50 a week, which is cheaper than a two zone Buzzfare (£24.50), but Arriva's weekly ticket is £16.90 (Bishop Auckland zones). 4-weekly would be £85.55 compared to £60.50. 

Between Durham and Bishop Auckland, I don't think anyone could argue against Arriva providing the superior service (and this is without the added 'sparkle' on service 6). The fares and frequencies between the two operators aren't competitive for a reason: the main purpose of service X21 is to link passengers from Bishop Auckland to Chester-le-Street and Newcastle, which is why this was the focus of my previous post.

You correctly quote that Go North East's "Pronto Saver" is £22.50/week. That allows travel all the way from Bishop Auckland to Newcastle, and includes the further four buses per hour from Durham to Newcastle that the "Angel" 21 service adds. Arriva's "North East All Zones" ticket costs £27.20/week, or £91.00/28 days.

(09 Jan 2015, 9:21 pm)citaro5284 wrote but on the flip side...how many people benefit from a zonal system?

I'd suggest that all customers who purchase a one zone BuzzFare ticket actually benefit from the zonal system.

For argument's sake, let's say the price for a day ticket would be the average cost of the current three prices (£4.75, £6.20, £7.70), which would be approximately £6.20. All customers who would have otherwise purchased a one zone BuzzFare would be £1.45 out of pocket each day...

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion
Go North East: Latest News & Discussion V2.0
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion V2.0