You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion
(11 Jan 2015, 9:13 pm)aureolin wrote See, I completely agree with what you're saying about GNE always winning the battle between Durham and Newcastle on frequency alone, but it beggars the question of why the X2 is kept in it's present form? I'd say it would make more sense to keep the X12 as a standalone service, with added layover at either end to improve reliability. To replace the X2, run two of the 6's through to Newcastle as an X6, providing the same limited stop service between Durham & Chester le Street, but then non-stop to Gateshead (or even Newcastle) via the A1? It would probably even result in a reduction in PVR?

Just to query the price, as I think I missed your reply the other night when we were discussing. The comparison was the North East all zones ticket, but the Durham District is valid on the 6 to Bishop, and the X2 to Newcastle, priced at £17.40? I hadn't realised it was valid on the 6 until I checked mind.

But to answer the question, perhaps commuters are willing to pay more for a considerably quicker service? X21 has needed an increase in peak time frequency recently, which tells it's own story, and a flip of the coin - the X2 is pretty much bare between Durham and Newcastle. I can't believe for one minute that nobody commutes from Durham to Newcastle...

The northbound trains are heaving on a morning. The 072x EC is often crowded to the point standees are down the carriage.

It begs the question as to how they get in to Durham in the first place.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion V2.0