You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - March 2015
(07 Mar 2015, 10:47 pm)aureolin wrote I wouldn't think the Geminis being limited to 50mph would create a massive problem? I can only think of one part of the route that it could legally exceed 50 anyway? Between Pity Me and Chester. Stockton is just as bad as Durham imo, and I can only put it down to lack of running time in the timetable.

Look at Durham Bus Station to the Science Site for example. 8 minutes, and 10 minutes during peak times. That's navigating the busy North Road roundabout, getting through the Millburngate roundabout lights (which will cost you a few minutes if caught). After then, you have the potential of a further 4 or 5 sets of lights, not to mention the usual Elvet/Church Street congestion, due to it being tight and a single lane. Then you've got stops to take account of... It's a miracle if you can do that in 8 or 10 mins. In my own experience, it takes about 15 mins or 20 at peak times. The timetable also allows 8 minutes from Durham Science Site, to the Bowburn Hare & Greyhounds, both normally and at peak times. Google quotes that as 7 minutes by car, and lets face it, you're not stopping to pick up and drop people off in a car.

Oh I agree there's some of the timings you look at and wonder how they timed them. Durham Bus Station to the science site is one of those impossible ones... The time between Bowburn and Coxhoe is slack though! There is recovery time built in at the far end between Stockton and Middlesbrough too with way too much time allowed there (waiting 2-3 mins at Teesdale is annoying when you're finished...)

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

RE: Arriva North East: Rare & Odd Workings - March 2015