You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - June 2013

RE: Go North East
4906 on 36 at wheatchef heading to park lane

8319 (think thats the 100 years branded bus) is on the 700
East Durham on 26A heading for Heworth.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Jun 2013, 4:31 pm)Michael wrote 4906 on 36 at wheatchef heading to park lane

Wear Tees Xpress on the 36.... Jesus Christ, I suppose Deptford didnt fancy handing it straight back to Peterlee for the X7 then, which must mean there was an East Durham MPD on the X7 at somepoint today.
Yeh didn't expect it, havent got pic was on a diffrent bus Sad, first time ive seen the brand in person as i never head the way it goes, i think its a nice brand.

It also sounds terrible..
Same as the spare Sunderland Connect on the 700 haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2013, 4:35 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote
(25 Jun 2013, 4:31 pm)Michael wrote 4906 on 36 at wheatchef heading to park lane

Wear Tees Xpress on the 36.... Jesus Christ, I suppose Deptford didnt fancy handing it straight back to Peterlee for the X7 then, which must mean there was an East Durham MPD on the X7 at somepoint today.

Believe there is permanently one at Deptford in case of a break down at Sunderland..?
The one that breaks down is fixed at Deptford and kept for the next break down.
Cheers Daniel, seems a good idea haha

Silver arrow on 35 heading down durham road to houghton etc

In 30 mins on the bus ive spotted a few off route buses haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Convo today about the OK1..

Is true ur taking the ok1 bus off soon
Like · · 3 hours ago via BlackBerry

Go North East Hi Simon - yes, after an 18 month trial the OK1 service will end after its final journey on Saturday 10 August.

We’d like to thank you for using the OK1 and we’re sorry that we can no longer operate this service.
3 hours ago · Like

Simon Mace May I ask why cause it gets well used
3 hours ago · Like

Go North East Unfortunately whilst passenger numbers grew initially, numbers have remained low except for a few busy journeys and as such the service is just not sustainable to operate in the longer term.
3 hours ago · Like

Simon Mace A heard it was cause arriva don't like it
3 hours ago · Like

Andy Clifford it would be good if you could use the ok brand in other services
2 hours ago via mobile · Like

Simon Mace I'd say x7 me self
about an hour ago · Like

Chris Carter There should use the ex OK1 buses on the X7 and re brand the East Durham branded buses as the OK WAY as peterlee used to be a base for OK TRAVEL, The buses on the X7 at present are still breaking down regularly

Shame cause it had a decent route, Wonder where these will go.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Jun 2013, 4:43 pm)Daniel wrote

Believe there is permanently one at Deptford in case of a break down at Sunderland..?

No good if one breaks down elsewhere though, like 4909 did in Middlesbrough yesterday? Was there about 1.5 hours before Deptfords (?) fitters turned up.
I wouldn't be surprised if a gentleman's agreement had occurred between GNE and Arriva, they've both got form for it
The new Sunderland Connect timetable is on for the Summer ( from 1 July 2013 to 13 September 2013)

Sunderland Connect 700 is the perfect way to explore what Sunderland City Centre and surrounding areas has to offer.

Buses run every 20 minutes during weekdays and every 30 minutes on a Saturday.
A flat fare applies on this service, priced at £1.20 for any single journey.
An all-day ticket is also available priced at £2.00, which allows unlimited travel on Sunderland Connect for one day.

Couple of new tickets being added:

NEW Family ticket costing £5 for two adults and up to three children
NEW Weekly Ticket giving unlimited travel for a week, for only £8

Like Last year it will run to Roker Beach...Will only run to Roker from the 9:44am to 18:44pm - Shame it can't run to Seaburn to.

I can see y the Frequency drops during the Summer as the Uni is off.

Timetable.
http://www.simplygo.com/download/publication/53204.58
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(24 Jun 2013, 6:38 pm)Daniel wrote
(24 Jun 2013, 6:29 pm)CatsFast101 wrote
(24 Jun 2013, 6:19 pm)Michael wrote
(24 Jun 2013, 6:13 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Do we know if these new Ciatro's/Streetlites will be fitted with wifi and next stopping announcements?

God i hope not for the announcements, they were annoying as out on the 36 when they had them on the Versa's.

I hope for the WIFI, think this will be popular but they always having problems with it on the TEN/Tyne Tees Xpress, that could be a downfall.

I can see them having both, just hope the announcements aren't as loud as the ones on the Angel..

Yeah I like the next stop announcements but they can get irrating if they are too loud. I hope they do get wifi but as you say they do have a problems with it. But they didn't have the next stop announcements on last week when I was on the X1.

I think the announcements on the X1 are somewhat belittling. Announced upon arrival at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital are instructions on how to alight the bus. While this information is good and true, just about every Tom, Dick and Harry know how to alight a bus - and if they decided to follow the instructions given to us by the cheesy radio people rather than their own knowledge, chances are the bus would take off before they managed to get to the bottom step if they were originally sat in the upper saloon.
The hundredth anniversary Versa still has all the kit to make the announcements regarding next stops etc, and indeed still manages to play odd little sounds every now and again. Had a ride of her on the 135 the other day, and I found the random noises rather irritating indeed.
I reckon these new buses will all be fitted with the kit to announce next stops etc - not sure about WiFi though.

Wi-Fi is a very popular feature I'd imagine, but really, the infrastructure in the North East simply can't cope. Data networks are already congested - where you can get it. It struggles quite a bit of the route on the 21 for sure, and I can imagine similar problems exist whilst on the A19 for the X9/X10. Hopefully if enough money is poured in to the 4G rollout, it'll improve the reliability of the onboard Wi-Fi.

As for the next stop screens. They're completely over the top in my opinion. Absolutely no need to have a screen dedicated to them. Something similar to what the Metro have, or the TFL buses have would be more than ideal. Plus the TFL announcements are direct and straight to the point. None of this faffing around about how to sit on a seat, and not to pick your nose, etc.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
As for the next stop screens. They're completely over the top in my opinion. Absolutely no need to have a screen dedicated to them. Something similar to what the Metro have, or the TFL buses have would be more than ideal. Plus the TFL announcements are direct and straight to the point. None of this faffing around about how to sit on a seat, and not to pick your nose, etc.
[/quote]

I agree also not to have stupid voices on it, just say the stop name and get on with it, no one wants to listen to daft voices after a long day at work..

---

Washington road's new bus timetable has the X88 on heading to Sunderland... NEXUS fails once again..

Here it is on the NEXUS site as a Liner. http://liners.nexus.org.uk/24050.pdf
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Do the East Lancs dual doors still have the 'Please remain seated and exit the bus via the middle doors' announcement? Used to drive me mad on the Angel.

The Angel announcements have been toned down quite a lot now from what they were like at launch. The use of the CCTV screens as next stop is quite engaging as opposed to playing 'stare at your fellow passenger' (I remember the East Lancs used to have adverts running on them but that soon stopped)
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2013, 5:21 pm)tyresmoke wrote
(25 Jun 2013, 4:43 pm)Daniel wrote

No good if one breaks down elsewhere though, like 4909 did in Middlesbrough yesterday? Was there about 1.5 hours before Deptfords (?) fitters turned up.

That it, Scott? Wink
Usually takes them that long to get to Park Lane! Hahaha
(25 Jun 2013, 7:18 pm)gtomlinson wrote Do the East Lancs dual doors still have the 'Please remain seated and exit the bus via the middle doors' announcement? Used to drive me mad on the Angel.

The Angel announcements have been toned down quite a lot now from what they were like at launch. The use of the CCTV screens as next stop is quite engaging as opposed to playing 'stare at your fellow passenger' (I remember the East Lancs used to have adverts running on them but that soon stopped)

The ones at Deptford don't, ive only ever heard it once when they first arrvied but since then ive never used the middle door to exit,

it seems pointless having the middle, they could of blocked it out and made them to single door's but thier's no point now....
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2013, 7:28 pm)Michael wrote
(25 Jun 2013, 7:18 pm)gtomlinson wrote Do the East Lancs dual doors still have the 'Please remain seated and exit the bus via the middle doors' announcement? Used to drive me mad on the Angel.

The ones at Deptford don't, ive only ever heard it once when they first arrvied but since then ive never used the middle door to exit,

it seems pointless having the middle, they could of blocked it out and made them to single door's but thier's no point now....

Believe some Gateshead ones do. Actually heard it one time and refused to move from the centre doors because I heard the announcement play on the 24 one time. Stood there, waited, and the driver actually managed to press the button to open that door instead. Difficult task, it was. Despise how Deptford are completely unable to use these doors - don't get me started on the amount of e-mails I've sent about it.
(25 Jun 2013, 7:28 pm)Michael wrote

To convert the Vykings to single door would open a whole can of worms. If you hadn't already noticed, the wheelchair ramp is located at the centre door, and the front door isn't wide enough to meet DDA requirements. Therefore, the single door conversion would probably cost more than the vehicle's book value.
(25 Jun 2013, 7:37 pm)Daniel wrote [
Believe some Gateshead ones do. Actually heard it one time and refused to move from the centre doors because I heard the announcement play on the 24 one time. Stood there, waited, and the driver actually managed to press the button to open that door instead. Difficult task, it was. Despise how Deptford are completely unable to use these doors - don't get me started on the amount of e-mails I've sent about it.

Haha. When they first started on the Angel everyone ignored them and used to fight past people to get to the front door. Then get off the bus turn left and walk past the centre door.

They eventually made you use the middle doors and had people riding on the bus showing you to exit via the middle. That Jeff guy who was/(is?) Service Delivery Manager for the Angel used to be on all the time
To convert the Vykings to single door would open a whole can of worms. If you hadn't already noticed, the wheelchair ramp is located at the centre door, and the front door isn't wide enough to meet DDA requirements. Therefore, the single door conversion would probably cost more than the vehicle's book value.
[/quote]

Oh right i didnt know that the middle door was ramped only, i rarely use the Vykings as where i live is stagecoach with durham road having a few GNE.. so thats y i didnt notice...

Vykings are rubbish anyway build for London and should of stopped down thier
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(25 Jun 2013, 7:37 pm)Daniel wrote Believe some Gateshead ones do. Actually heard it one time and refused to move from the centre doors because I heard the announcement play on the 24 one time. Stood there, waited, and the driver actually managed to press the button to open that door instead. Difficult task, it was. Despise how Deptford are completely unable to use these doors - don't get me started on the amount of e-mails I've sent about it.

I know they don't use the middle doors on the 57, or if they do, it's a very rare occurrence. But on the other hand, they do on the 58 - although, this is just usually at the 'main' stops like Heworth and Gateshead Interchange, Fewster Square and Newcastle Pilgrim/New Bridge Street.

To be honest, I don't think it's really all that safe to use the rear doors at some of the stops the 58 serves - for example, Felling Square (towards Heworth), although I've seen it happen a few times. Nothing against using them on the double-deckers or 'regular' single-deckers though.
Site Administrator
(25 Jun 2013, 6:35 pm)aureolin wrote
(24 Jun 2013, 6:38 pm)Daniel wrote
(24 Jun 2013, 6:29 pm)CatsFast101 wrote
(24 Jun 2013, 6:19 pm)Michael wrote
(24 Jun 2013, 6:13 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Do we know if these new Ciatro's/Streetlites will be fitted with wifi and next stopping announcements?

God i hope not for the announcements, they were annoying as out on the 36 when they had them on the Versa's.

I hope for the WIFI, think this will be popular but they always having problems with it on the TEN/Tyne Tees Xpress, that could be a downfall.

I can see them having both, just hope the announcements aren't as loud as the ones on the Angel..

Yeah I like the next stop announcements but they can get irrating if they are too loud. I hope they do get wifi but as you say they do have a problems with it. But they didn't have the next stop announcements on last week when I was on the X1.

I think the announcements on the X1 are somewhat belittling. Announced upon arrival at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital are instructions on how to alight the bus. While this information is good and true, just about every Tom, Dick and Harry know how to alight a bus - and if they decided to follow the instructions given to us by the cheesy radio people rather than their own knowledge, chances are the bus would take off before they managed to get to the bottom step if they were originally sat in the upper saloon.
The hundredth anniversary Versa still has all the kit to make the announcements regarding next stops etc, and indeed still manages to play odd little sounds every now and again. Had a ride of her on the 135 the other day, and I found the random noises rather irritating indeed.
I reckon these new buses will all be fitted with the kit to announce next stops etc - not sure about WiFi though.

Wi-Fi is a very popular feature I'd imagine, but really, the infrastructure in the North East simply can't cope. Data networks are already congested - where you can get it. It struggles quite a bit of the route on the 21 for sure, and I can imagine similar problems exist whilst on the A19 for the X9/X10. Hopefully if enough money is poured in to the 4G rollout, it'll improve the reliability of the onboard Wi-Fi.

One ex-Red Arrows Citaro which is now branded as "Silver Arrows" has one of those Metro screens (5327 rings a bell?). Not a clue why as it's useless - whether it was a trial or not, I do not know, but it's not programmed correctly so it's useless.
"2A SUNDERLAND" is displayed twice, with the text overlapping each other on the bottom/top of the text so it's almost illegible. When someone presses the bell, "BUS STOPPING" is displayed in large text.
(25 Jun 2013, 8:18 pm)Daniel wrote One ex-Red Arrows Citaro which is now branded as "Silver Arrows" has one of those Metro screens (5327 rings a bell?). Not a clue why as it's useless - whether it was a trial or not, I do not know, but it's not programmed correctly so it's useless.
"2A SUNDERLAND" is displayed twice, with the text overlapping each other on the bottom/top of the text so it's almost illegible. When someone presses the bell, "BUS STOPPING" is displayed in large text.

Yeah, I've seen that when it was in use on the X3. It did excactly the same, except it showed "X3 Sunderland" or "X3 Newcastle". I know the new 'Tyne Tees Express' Gemini's have a display similar to this, but I think it's just to show "Bus Stopping".
Northern Renown on the 71 with 8289 missing again this morning. Saw it yesterday - sounded fine, but there seemed to be issues with the bodywork at the back end.
(26 Jun 2013, 7:59 am)Andreos1 wrote Northern Renown on the 71 with 8289 missing again this morning. Saw it yesterday - sounded fine, but there seemed to be issues with the bodywork at the back end.
8289 has been allocated to Lambton Worm 34 /34A today.
Is it? I noticed a couple of them this morning, but didn't see 8289 on it - they were all branded.

Did you notice the back end/bonnet at all?
I didn't know if the bonnet had warped or if there were other issues with it.

(26 Jun 2013, 11:30 am)Liam wrote 637 on the Q1
FestNE is on the 64/64A/95/96 board today. Somewhere on a 64 / 64A route now.
Marron red / plum (?) 4958 is back in service on the M1 today.

Have you got a photo of 4958? How much different is it to the old 27 colouring?
Wonder if some of the metrolink scanias are heading for waggonway then if its came back that colour.

On the 36A to park lane.. me and 2 people currently on it..currently at hylton castle
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.