You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016
(22 Mar 2016, 3:16 pm)Jimmi wrote Have to agree on EconoSpeed, had 1426 on the X66 the other Sunday and it felt pretty steady whereas that would have absolutely flown down the A66 in the past.

There is a sneaky way to get Pulsars with Econospeed to kickdown as shown in this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61MB1IiwI2Q
It goes steady at first and then the driver fiddles with the pedal to make it downshift and lock into 3rd, Though I believe only a few drivers know this.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(22 Mar 2016, 3:02 pm)Jimmi wrote *shudders* Don't remind me of them!

This time 5 years ago the 7 used all sorts, so you never knew exactly what sort of bus was going to turn, it was great from an enthusiast's point of view but pretty poor from a normal passengers point of view, especially when I was waiting for buses to/from college which never turned up!

It's amazing how far the 7 has come since then, from clapped out old bangers to Sapphire. Hopefully more improvements are to come...

Same for the 22. We didn't even have all low floor vehicles until the 61 reg Pulsars arrived. It was still hourly back then, too, so if one didn't turn up in the afternoon, that meant I had to catch a rather expensive unplanned taxi. IOW, if I had an afternoon appointment, I had to make sure I had at least £20 in my purse. I couldn't even cut my losses and catch the 57A because that left when the SB 58 does, now, ie before the 22!
This fleet list is only <counts on fingers> 3.5 years old. There's N re stuff in there!
https://durhambus.wordpress.com/durham-b...fleetlist/

And these were still in the fleet, 5 years after this photo was taken!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/4391862319

This made me smile, given that this vehicle is still in daily service, almost 5 years on!
https://durhambus.wordpress.com/2011/07/...down-7444/
(19 Mar 2016, 8:51 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I thought grotty old buses were your thing Tongue

Is it any worse than the W reg.s?

(19 Mar 2016, 9:10 pm)mb134 wrote Please explain how it is 'the worst thing ever'?

I'm sure passengers that boarded it today would have been far happier seeing that, than no bus at all.

Agree. Like the 45xxs.
I don't care if he is anyones colleague or indeed a member of this forum.

Maybe his version of events will differ from reality. Who knows?
But the absolute muppet driving the EDC bus through Murton and blinded for Houghton at approx 1730 tonight, needs to invest in some overtaking and planning skills. Particularly when driving a vehicle full of students and deciding to overtake the cyclist with a stream of traffic (headed by myself) heading in the opposite direction.

I don't appreciate having to slam my brakes on at the best of times. I don't like slamming them on when the kids are in the car and there is a double deck bus hurtling towards me.

This is out there in the public domain and maybe the driver will get word of his public shaming.
Either way, his bosses will be getting word of the incident.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
On Friday, I was on the A1231 loop, to join the A1.

I was in the left hand lane, trying to merge into the middle lane, to carry on the A1. I was running alongside 7618, an Arriva MAX Gemini. It appeared to be running light from Belmont to pick up its usual duties on the X12 to Durham for Middlesbrough, with the destination set as such. I wasn't in a position to speed up, to get in front of the bus, as there was a car in front. Likewise it wouldn't have been particularly safe to slow down to allow the bus to go into the left hand lane, as I had a queue of traffic behind me.

As we were making no progress, given that the driver of the bus wouldn't slow down to give me a gap to get in front of him, the driver decided to merge left with me running parallel to him.

I was forced to slam my brakes on - as did the drivers behind me - and I felt quite lucky to come out of that situation without a single bump. The driver seemed to be of the mindset that he could do whatever he liked, because he was in a big bad bus.

I forgot to send an e-mail to Arriva, but find their Customer Services team is appalling anyway, so don't usually bother. Andreos1's complaint reminded me of the experience.
Aye, don't bother sending a complaint in. I can probably dig out the template that they'll send you anyway, if you're both that bothered for a "response". Smile
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(22 Mar 2016, 7:51 pm)Dan wrote On Friday, I was on the A1231 loop, to join the A1.

I was in the left hand lane, trying to merge into the middle lane, to carry on the A1. I was running alongside 7618, an Arriva MAX Gemini. It appeared to be running light from Belmont to pick up its usual duties on the X12 to Durham for Middlesbrough, with the destination set as such. I wasn't in a position to speed up, to get in front of the bus, as there was a car in front. Likewise it wouldn't have been particularly safe to slow down to allow the bus to go into the left hand lane, as I had a queue of traffic behind me.

As we were making no progress, given that the driver of the bus wouldn't slow down to give me a gap to get in front of him, the driver decided to merge left with me running parallel to him.

I was forced to slam my brakes on - as did the drivers behind me - and I felt quite lucky to come out of that situation without a single bump. The driver seemed to be of the mindset that he could do whatever he liked, because he was in a big bad bus.

I forgot to send an e-mail to Arriva, but find their Customer Services team is appalling anyway, so don't usually bother. Andreos1's complaint reminded me of the experience.

I've given up trying to get a response to my complaint about a driver swearing at a passenger, snatching his ticket off him, screwing it up and throwing it back at him. Seems to keep getting completely lost. I was going to get a snail mail address to try again, but then I needed to concentrate on things closer to home.
(22 Mar 2016, 12:16 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Ex London VLA LJ55BTO has entered service in MAX livery but still contains its Urburn 90s from London. Must've been rushed half way though refurb at Thorntons into service.
Photo of it on Emjdt42s Flickr

I had that yesterday, it's 7416 and has been refurbished internally but retains urban90 seating. More on these to follow when I get a confirmation on what's happening Wink

This time 5 years ago the 7 used all sorts, so you never knew exactly what sort of bus was going to turn, it was great from an enthusiast's point of view but pretty poor from a normal passengers point of view, especially when I was waiting for buses to/from college which never turned up!

It's amazing how far the 7 has come since then, from clapped out old bangers to Sapphire. Hopefully more improvements are to come...

If only Go North East would do something about the Q3. 
I used to live on the 46 route. The day I moved house they extended the route to the CAV and made it more frequent AND added WiFi

Remarkable improvements since the occasional use of Metrobuses & Olympians until 2008. This photo was taken in September 2007, when 614 was 27 years old.
.jpg GYE515W (2).JPG
(22 Mar 2016, 11:02 pm)John_R wrote Remarkable improvements since the occasional use of Metrobuses & Olympians until 2008. This photo was taken in September 2007, when 614 was 27 years old.

That one even has sliding windows!

I suspect the new DDA requirements have been responsible for a fair bit of the clearout that's taken place.
(22 Mar 2016, 7:57 pm)Adrian wrote Aye, don't bother sending a complaint in. I can probably dig out the template that they'll send you anyway, if you're both that bothered for a "response". Smile

A response from a bus operator? Never had a reasonable one yet.
Saw a 35 branded Streetlights heading south on the A1 at the angel earlier.

Another loan vehicle?
(22 Mar 2016, 7:51 pm)Dan wrote On Friday, I was on the A1231 loop, to join the A1.

If you weren't in a situation to slow down, therefore the cars behind you wouldn't have been either, therefore the bus wouldn't have been able to pull over at any point.  Had I been the X12 driver in said situation, despite wondering why am I on the A1231, I would have stopped in the outside lane, applied my handbrake, put my hazards on and read a book until the rush hour traffic had ceased and then continued on my journey when the road was clearer.

EDIT: I've just realised you meant that you were on the A1 at the time - on the Birtley exit slip road, trying to merge onto the A1.  Therefore, since you were trying to merge onto the A1, technically you should have backed off to allow traffic on the existing carriageway to pass and merge safely Smile.

EDIT 2: I'm not condoning the actions of the X12 driver as he shouldn't have cut across, but I'm saying the situation could've been avoided.  Also, I'm not saying all Arriva drivers are perfect, because trust me I know they're not Smile.
(23 Mar 2016, 9:38 am)Andreos1 wrote Saw a 35 branded Streetlights heading south on the A1 at the angel earlier.

Another loan vehicle?

I have absolutely no idea... I'll ask whats happening.
(22 Mar 2016, 7:57 pm)Adrian wrote Aye, don't bother sending a complaint in. I can probably dig out the template that they'll send you anyway, if you're both that bothered for a "response". Smile

Yes, same when I complained about that Whitby driver last summer. Who, unfortunately, contrary to reports otherwise, has not retired - she was on the Park and Ride on Monday!
(22 Mar 2016, 9:40 pm)tyresmoke wrote I had that yesterday, it's 7416 and has been refurbished internally but retains urban90 seating. More on these to follow when I get a confirmation on what's happening  Wink

That beggar's belief!
(23 Mar 2016, 12:05 pm)Cock Robin wrote Yes, same when I complained about that Whitby driver last summer. Who, unfortunately, contrary to reports otherwise, has not retired - she was on the Park and Ride on Monday!

Aye. The miserable git I'd complained about was on the 6 to bishop, supervising a younger driver, when I went with Big'un to check out the Castles Express in the market place. Clearly I've not destroyed his livelihood by trying to tell his employer that he was unprofessional and abusive.
Site Administrator
(23 Mar 2016, 11:31 am)palatine3833 wrote If you weren't in a situation to slow down, therefore the cars behind you wouldn't have been either, therefore the bus wouldn't have been able to pull over at any point.  Had I been the X12 driver in said situation, despite wondering why am I on the A1231, I would have stopped in the outside lane, applied my handbrake, put my hazards on and read a book until the rush hour traffic had ceased and then continued on my journey when the road was clearer.

EDIT: I've just realised you meant that you were on the A1 at the time - on the Birtley exit slip road, trying to merge onto the A1.  Therefore, since you were trying to merge onto the A1, technically you should have backed off to allow traffic on the existing carriageway to pass and merge safely Smile.

EDIT 2: I'm not condoning the actions of the X12 driver as he shouldn't have cut across, but I'm saying the situation could've been avoided.  Also, I'm not saying all Arriva drivers are perfect, because trust me I know they're not Smile.

Yes - the situation could have been avoided.

The driver could have gone into the left hand lane AFTER I had passed him, instead of attempting to merge into my lane while I was running parallel to him. Not a kick in the arse off being in line with the doors.
(23 Mar 2016, 12:01 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I have absolutely no idea... I'll ask whats happening.

Just noticed the autocorrect typo in my previous message.
It could be that it was being used to collect/drop off parts whilst on test.
I only mentioned it in light of all the recent loans.
(23 Mar 2016, 12:48 pm)Dan wrote Yes - the situation could have been avoided.

The driver could have gone into the left hand lane AFTER I had passed him, instead of attempting to merge into my lane while I was running parallel to him. Not a kick in the arse off being in line with the doors.

Although technically, that would've been classified as undertaking.
Site Administrator
(23 Mar 2016, 1:21 pm)palatine3833 wrote Although technically, that would've been classified as undertaking.

Not really, as I was originally ahead of the bus but because the bus was travelling at a higher speed, the driver caught up to my car and was running parallel to me, before merging into my lane unsafely (causing me and other drivers to slam their brakes on, to avoid an accident). Wink

Not sure how familiar you are with that area, but it's common for drivers in the middle lane to let the driver in the left hand lane merge right, before merging to the left themselves, avoiding the situation I described above.
Here we go again with "issues" on the X93, and issues that all seem to eminate around Dormanstown / Redcar. The route, as I've said before, is a success story and Arriva management should be proud and recognise it as so. We got the BTL9's for the service that can just about cope with the none peak PVR but here we just a week into the 2016 'peak' and there are reports of 1102 (!) being used and Pulsar operation from the Redcar boards; vehicles that, incidentally, are not "Max" branded. The PVR for the route, as I understand is 8 vehicles and those 8 should be BTL9's, equivalant, or better; and approriately branded (and marketed). Ideally there should be spare capacity on the route to cover for breakdowns and other emergencies (road closures) but we know that isn't going to happen, don't we. 7485/6/7 will be cobbled together and plod (being the operative word) along and all the good work and reputation undone. It wouldn't happen on Yorkshire Coastliner would it?
(22 Mar 2016, 7:21 am)jaimzm wrote dose anyone know what at jesmond for the metro

Arriva: 7416, 7423, 7424, 7425, 7426, 7455, 7458, 7468, 7470, 7477, 7479, 7485, 7534. On Hire: JH LT02 ZZM, Stanley Travel S4 STX
(23 Mar 2016, 7:24 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Arriva: 7416, 7423, 7424, 7425, 7426, 7455, 7458, 7468, 7470, 7477, 7479, 7485, 7534. On Hire: JH LT02 ZZM, Stanley Travel S4 STX

7488 was out today too.
(23 Mar 2016, 2:23 pm)scania driver wrote Here we go again with "issues" on the X93, and issues that all seem to eminate around Dormanstown / Redcar. The route, as I've said before, is a success story and Arriva management should be proud and recognise it as so. We got the BTL9's for the service that can just about cope with the none peak PVR but here we just a week into the 2016 'peak' and there are reports of 1102 (!) being used and Pulsar operation from the Redcar boards; vehicles that, incidentally, are not "Max" branded. The PVR for the route, as I understand is 8 vehicles and those 8 should be BTL9's, equivalant, or better; and approriately branded (and marketed). Ideally there should be spare capacity on the route to cover for breakdowns and other emergencies (road closures) but we know that isn't going to happen, don't we. 7485/6/7 will be cobbled together and plod (being the operative word) along and all the good work and reputation undone. It wouldn't happen on Yorkshire Coastliner would it?

Well said Scania Driver. No it wouldn't. Nor on East Yorkshire.

(23 Mar 2016, 12:18 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Aye. The miserable git I'd complained about was on the 6 to bishop, supervising a younger driver, when I went with Big'un to check out the Castles Express in the market place. Clearly I've not destroyed his livelihood by trying to tell his employer that he was unprofessional and abusive.

They probably gave him an award!
Happy Easter people. Commiserations though to anyone in the Middlesbrough area thinking of going to the seaside. Not only is the weather going to be poor but 7485/6/7 are back in the pool for the X93. Be lucky.