Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2016
(18 Dec 2016, 8:53 pm)LeeCalder wrote I don't think GNE's launches are bad, I generally think they are quite good, one thing that does let them down at the launches.....

Metro Radio

Having attended many of Go North East's publicity events, I am confident that it's the music and radio presenters being broadcasted at the chosen venues that actually entices most people.

It's something that doesn't happen every day and people naturally wonder why it is happening, so approach the Go North East members of staff / promo team to get more information.

The Go North East staff / promo team then hand out goodies and give some information about the bus being displayed, and explain why it is there, often allowing members of the public to get on board the bus, take some photos, etc.
(18 Dec 2016, 8:53 pm)Ryan99 wrote This is what my mate told me , releasing 5204-5209/11 to get rid of the remaining b10s

Only 4 remain in service now, 

1 at Stanley
3 at Riverside

Gutted to see the Scania L94's are the next to go though.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Dec 2016, 8:59 pm)Michael wrote Only 4 remain in service now, 

1 at Stanley
3 at Riverside

Gutted to see the Scania L94's are the next to go though.

4926-4936 I'm being told , more news another solar has been withdrawn
(18 Dec 2016, 9:12 pm)dannygee wrote Instead of the scanias going on the blue arrow mercs could of been a better option

Rather uneconomical for a ploddy route, though. As they're so expensive to run, they're best used where the power they have matters. You could put a horse and cart on the 11 and it would keep time.
(18 Dec 2016, 5:05 pm)Dan wrote This might spark some discussion...

They could also be for another brand of which is going to receive a refresh!
E.g.: Blaydon Racers could be getting New Buses and also the brand getting a striking new refresh!! 

Just an idea!
(18 Dec 2016, 11:08 pm)thetravelman wrote They could also be for another brand of which is going to receive a refresh!
E.g.: Blaydon Racers could be getting New Buses and also the brand getting a striking new refresh!! 

Just an idea!

Could be, never know, although, like you i think they'll stick with the Blaydon Racer name because it's part of the NE history.

Same as the Crusader, maybe better buses but it'll stop the same brand due to the history of the NE.

But ya never know.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Dec 2016, 11:08 pm)thetravelman wrote They could also be for another brand of which is going to receive a refresh!

Just an idea!
I can't see these being for the 49's with a new/revised brand just because they seem to be the same colour as the Metrocentre X66 StreetLite's and it's probably not the best idea having both routes using the same type of buses in the same colour especially as at Gateshead Interchange and MetroCentre Bus Station the two services leave from adjacent stands.
(18 Dec 2016, 11:26 pm)Jimmi wrote I can't see these being for the 49's with a new/revised brand just because they seem to be the same colour as the Metrocentre X66 StreetLite's and it's probably not the best idea having both routes using the same type of buses in the same colour especially as at Gateshead Interchange and MetroCentre Bus Station the two services leave from adjacent stands.

Aye, that's a good point about the colour being similar to The Metrocentre X66's And using nearby stands at both Gateshead and Metrocentre.
Jamie M
Unregistered
(18 Dec 2016, 5:36 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Looks more than likely to me in my opinion, As the only brand off the top of my head with similar base colors is the Connections4 and Blue Arrow.

The 2 corporate spare's bought for every batch could result in the redundancy of 5337 and 5338 at Stanley also....
Please, everyone loves the mercs up Stanley!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Speaking of brand updates, as travelman mentioned earlier, one route that I feel could do with an update is the Waggonway.

I'm guessing in new world GNE that wouldn't have even been branded? Though I like Waggonway and it's genuine historic ties to Kibblesworth, Birtley and Eighton Banks it's imo, the most dated of all GNE brands and probably shouldn't make it into a third set of vehicles.

Perhaps something plain like the Beamish branded stuff kicking about? I'm just assuming the 28s will end up wi Streetlites, the Solars look like they are slowly/quite quickly turning as unreliable as the DAFs became, especially first thing!
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(19 Dec 2016, 12:52 am)Ambassador wrote Speaking of brand updates, as travelman mentioned earlier, one route that I feel could do with an update is the Waggonway.

I'm guessing in new world GNE that wouldn't have even been branded? Though I like Waggonway and it's genuine historic ties to Kibblesworth, Birtley and Eighton Banks it's imo, the most dated of all GNE brands and probably shouldn't make it into a third set of vehicles.

Perhaps something plain like the Beamish branded stuff kicking about?  I'm just assuming the 28s will end up wi Streetlites, the Solars look like they are slowly/quite quickly turning as unreliable as the DAFs became, especially first thing!

Me too, i would think Citaro's would cope on the route, i think you're right, the Waggonway is the only brand not to change in anyway, been the same since the DAF's.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Dec 2016, 5:05 pm)Dan wrote This might spark some discussion...

I think the Streetlites might arrive early January, with going in to service start of February.

Any idea on how many are currently at Wrightbus?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Dec 2016, 10:55 am)Michael wrote Me too, i would think Citaro's would cope on the route, i think you're right, the Waggonway is the only brand not to change in anyway, been the same since the DAF's.

They probably would cope, but I think they're still suited for prime, front-line service, rather than a service like the 28.
Maybe they need a refurb, but I know which I prefer from a passenger perspective vs some of the more recent purchases (even with their added extras)
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Jamie M
Unregistered
(19 Dec 2016, 10:56 am)Michael wrote I think the Streetlites might arrive early January, with going in to service start of February.

Any idea on how many are currently at Wrightbus?
That would spoil the surprise, wouldn't it? 😛
I get excited with any sort of tension, even if it's over Streetlites...
If they've got an automatic gearbox that's functional, I think they'll be great buses. They're nippy, stick to the road like glue - at higher speeds and have awful leather seats which were removed from Stanley's driver cabs on request.
Aside from the horrible e-leather, what really lets them down is that the gearbox is supposedly too large. If it were a manual bus, it would be great. The bus changes up to 3rd when it shouldn't, in return it can't handle the size of the next gear up. Because it can't handle the gear, the RPM drops to below 500, when at the top of 2nd it was around 2050. So when the automatic computer decides that it needs to go back up a gear - to 2nd - it causes a huge shudder because it's changing such huge amounts of RPM in one go (amongst other things).
If the 3rd gear was a bit smaller, the transmission could handle the shift down to 3rd without having to come all of the way back up, a mere 8 seconds later.
Hopefully they've come up with some sort of workaround, and they'll be welcome at Stanley

(19 Dec 2016, 12:52 am)Ambassador wrote Speaking of brand updates, as travelman mentioned earlier, one route that I feel could do with an update is the Waggonway.

Perhaps something plain like the Beamish branded stuff kicking about?  I'm just assuming the 28s will end up wi Streetlites, the Solars look like they are slowly/quite quickly turning as unreliable as the DAFs became, especially first thing!

I think the reason the brand hasn't changed from the DAF'S to the Scania's is because Beamish have something if not all to do with the funding of the branding on these vehicles
(19 Dec 2016, 11:12 am)LeeCalder wrote I think the reason the brand hasn't changed from the DAF'S to the Scania's is because Beamish have something if not all to do with the funding of the branding on these vehicles

Ye, i hope they don't change it, i like the brand but inside, it could be promoted more, some of the Scania's have like 4 adverts, the same.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Dec 2016, 11:10 am)Jamie M wrote That would spoil the surprise, wouldn't it? ?
I get excited with any sort of tension, even if it's over Streetlites...
If they've got an automatic gearbox that's functional, I think they'll be great buses. They're nippy, stick to the road like glue - at higher speeds and have awful leather seats which were removed from Stanley's driver cabs on request.
Aside from the horrible e-leather, what really lets them down is that the gearbox is supposedly too large. If it were a manual bus, it would be great. The bus changes up to 3rd when it shouldn't, in return it can't handle the size of the next gear up. Because it can't handle the gear, the RPM drops to below 500, when at the top of 2nd it was around 2050. So when the automatic computer decides that it needs to go back up a gear - to 2nd - it causes a huge shudder because it's changing such huge amounts of RPM in one go (amongst other things).
If the 3rd gear was a bit smaller, the transmission could handle the shift down to 3rd without having to come all of the way back up, a mere 8 seconds later.
Hopefully they've come up with some sort of workaround, and they'll be welcome at Stanley

I was on a purple Streetlite the other day and as the driver approached Houghton Cut, he made sure he had enough power behind him. He used the slip-road run-up to his advantage.
However, on joining the dual-carriageway, the bus came to more or less a juddering halt.
I have no idea if it was to do with the engine management system or it was an issue with the gearing.
Either way, I am glad nowt hurtled in to the back of us.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(19 Dec 2016, 11:16 am)Michael wrote Ye, i hope they don't change it, i like the brand but inside, it could be promoted more, some of the Scania's have like 4 adverts, the same.

I don't think Beamish pay for the branding on the Waggonway Scania L94s - there is a well-established partnership between the two organisations, but I don't think this involves payment for route branding.

The internal cove panels on the Waggonway Scania L94s were updated in late August to promote Beamish - I haven't seen these to know what the designs look like, though.
(19 Dec 2016, 11:28 am)Dan wrote I don't think Beamish pay for the branding on the Waggonway Scania L94s - there is a well-established partnership between the two organisations, but I don't think this involves payment for route branding.

The internal cove panels on the Waggonway Scania L94s were updated in late August to promote Beamish - I haven't seen these to know what the designs look like, though.

Do you ever think that in some point, most area's will have a direct bus to Beamish, the likes of South Shields, even if it's just like the 128 and runs on Saturdays?.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Dec 2016, 8:59 pm)Dan wrote Having attended many of Go North East's publicity events, I am confident that it's the music and radio presenters being broadcasted at the chosen venues that actually entices most people.

It's something that doesn't happen every day and people naturally wonder why it is happening, so approach the Go North East members of staff / promo team to get more information.

The Go North East staff / promo team then hand out goodies and give some information about the bus being displayed, and explain why it is there, often allowing members of the public to get on board the bus, take some photos, etc.

I have to agree that having music playing helps attract attention to a launch.  With the X46/49 launch that Arriva did in Durham, the atmosphere was amazing and I'm proud to have been a part of it.  The free pizza certainly helped, but the attention that the bus itself was getting was phenomenal.  Even if just one person from that launch was attracted onto the bus, it has been a success in my opinion.
(19 Dec 2016, 12:04 pm)Michael wrote Do you ever think that in some point, most area's will have a direct bus to Beamish, the likes of South Shields, even if it's just like the 128 and runs on Saturdays?.

South Shields used to have a link to Beamish years ago operated by Northern VRs. The 004 it was.  It's somewhere in the bygone era posts.
Jamie M
Unregistered
(19 Dec 2016, 12:04 pm)Michael wrote Do you ever think that in some point, most area's will have a direct bus to Beamish, the likes of South Shields, even if it's just like the 128 and runs on Saturdays?.

Durham, Chester-le-Street, Consett, Stanley, Newcastle, Sunderland, Gateshead and everywhere imbetween has a direct link to Beamish. (8/78A/128/28/28A)
Isn't this already most areas? 😛
It becomes impractical when you consider times. It takes half an hour to drive it on motorway. If you did a direct non-stop link from SS to CLS then Beamish, it'd scrape 45
minutes, but it'd also be absolutely useless.
Maybe you'd get a few people on, on a nice day, probably about half concessions. On a bad day, probably not many. The 128 has poor loads when it isn't sunny. Is it really worth sending a bus flying down the motorway for that?
In terms of shifts and PVR it works, you can just put two extra buses into the 50 to allow one to be sent off on this new service and there be no distruption to the origional service.
I honestly think these kinds of special service would be instantly created with ease if they were practical to take.
If you add other destinations in, it just pushes the journey time further and further away from getting a lift, and it's these kinds of service where most passengers do travel to the end of the route, obviously.
It's no more than two steps away from anyone who isn't up in the mountains. Whitely Bay is 309 then 28s, S.S. is 27 then 28 or 50 then 8. Bishop Auckland is X21 then 128. For this reasoning, I don't think there will be any more links added - simply because they are neither practical nor sensible to add with the current system.
Bit wordy as always, but I was actually thinking about this earlier when I was up Stanley 😛

Talking of updates, I'm surprised there is so little interest in the Tynedale Express. In my experience, it carries good loads and the Scanias on at present handle the job well but they look tatty and are not the most comfortable. It competes directly with the train which is getting a makeover in the near future and an improved timetable. There is a lot of good quality building going on in Hexham at the moment - particularly at the East End. Most residents will travel to Newcastle for work and a high quality, quick and reliable service would attract business.
(19 Dec 2016, 4:35 pm)grandad wrote Talking of updates, I'm surprised there is so little interest in the Tynedale Express. In my experience, it carries good loads and the Scanias on at present handle the job well but they look tatty and are not the most comfortable.  It competes directly with the train which is getting a makeover in the near future and an improved timetable.  There is a lot of good quality building going on in Hexham at the moment - particularly at the East End. Most residents will travel to Newcastle for work and a high quality, quick and reliable service would attract business.

There is something strange going on with the X85/Arriva 685.
Arriva have retimed the 685 so that it now leaves Hexham towards Newcastle immediately in front of the X85.
Invariably they run nose to tail at least as far as Corbridge, where they both vie for space on the single bus stop.
Even when the 685 stops to pickup between Hexham and Corbridge the X85 seems to hang back and not overtake.
(19 Dec 2016, 4:35 pm)grandad wrote Talking of updates, I'm surprised there is so little interest in the Tynedale Express. In my experience, it carries good loads and the Scanias on at present handle the job well but they look tatty and are not the most comfortable.  It competes directly with the train which is getting a makeover in the near future and an improved timetable.  There is a lot of good quality building going on in Hexham at the moment - particularly at the East End. Most residents will travel to Newcastle for work and a high quality, quick and reliable service would attract business.

Previous chat on here has said, that the Tynedale Express should be upgraded, more in the Predictions thread though.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(18 Dec 2016, 8:53 pm)LeeCalder wrote I don't think GNE's launches are bad, I generally think they are quite good, one thing that does let them down at the launches.....

Metro Radio

I don't think you have much to worry about nowadays - I can't recall a launch in this manner since the Castles Express back in March! 

Has there been one since? I recall something for indiGo North Tyne, but can't for the life of me find any information or photos about it.

I'm not a huge fan of Metro Radio being there, but that is mainly because I think GNE could do better with a PA system themselves, or through another third party. The coffee, ice cream and other such things attracts more people than anything else. Although I do think there's an opportunity to push more info onto people, before they get their free food and drink.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
In relation to Metro Radio's attendance, I reckon their live show from GNE's Open Day earlier this year was hugely successful. I (and a fair few others) did get a bit annoyed with it after a while however I'm not sure lots of people spent all day there. It's certainly not going to drive people away!
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]

It would make sense to promote the links from the 20/20A and 50 to appropriate services from Washington and Sunderland, bearing in mind that people in Shields, Cleadon, the Boldons etc might not live directly on a new route, if it was introduced and might still have to change, anyhow..