You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - March 2014

Site Administrator
RE: Go North East - Latest
(19 Mar 2014, 8:17 am)AdamY wrote Compared to television and print advertising, radio advertising really doesn't cost that much. I doubt a company like Go North East would need a huge marketing budget to produce a couple of radio ads. I suppose if you wanted to draw a rough comparison, imagine the size of GNE to, say, Frank's Carpets, Browell Smith and Co, or any other company that you regularly hear adverts for on the radio.

Quite right. It was actually mentioned yesterday by the head of department how cheap radio advertising is compared to other Media forms - allowing smaller companies to advertise too.
There were companies who were paying as little as £120, and some up to £600. We visited the News & Star in Carlisle a few months ago and figures were often in their thousands for advertising using the print platform.

Combined with the cost of advertising on other radio stations as well as having a large print presence though, the costs seem massive. I think I've heard one or two Stagecoach ads, but I've never heard of Arriva advertising on the radio (but perhaps this is down to me living in Sunderland rather than the company not doing it - I recall the mention of East Durham radio ads the other day on the Arriva thread).
5255 Whey Aye Five-O in service this morning just went through Lambton at 0830 heading down to Shields.
(19 Mar 2014, 8:29 am)Dan wrote Combined with the cost of advertising on other radio stations as well as having a large print presence though, the costs seem massive. I think I've heard one or two Stagecoach ads, but I've never heard of Arriva advertising on the radio (but perhaps this is down to me living in Sunderland rather than the company not doing it - I recall the mention of East Durham radio ads the other day on the Arriva thread).

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen or heard an advert for GNE or any other bus company. For news, I mostly use the internet. If I do buy a newspaper, which is very rare, then I usually go with the Guardian or the 'i', or occasionally The Metro if I'm using public transport and it happens to be lying on the seat. I do listen the the radio quite a lot when driving at work. However, my three radio stations of choice are Radio 4, Radio Newcastle or Talksport. The only time I listen to Real, Capitial or Metro is if someone has left it on in the van before me and I forget to retune the station. I guess that feeds in to why radio advertising is so cheap - people are creatures of habit; they have a favourite and they stick to it. As Real, Capital and Metro are all essentially the same in terms of output (i.e. playlists and, in my opinion, annoying hosts), it's doubtful that a regular Metro listener is going to persuaded to switch to Real or Capital (or vice-versa).
(19 Mar 2014, 8:36 am)NeilF wrote 5255 Whey Aye Five-O in service this morning just went through Lambton at 0830 heading down to Shields.

i just seen it in boldon it looks great just a shame I didn't have a camera next to me
(19 Mar 2014, 7:57 am)Dan wrote Completely irrelevant to most, but thought I'd mention it nevertheless...

As part of a Media Studies school trip, I went to the Sun FM radio station yesterday. We had a tour of the building, were shown how things work, and we also had a chat with the commercial team.

I was interested to see a poster with Sun FM's top ten clients for radio advertising. I don't listen to Sun FM all too often, but Go North East was listed as the company's second best client - in my time there, two 30-second adverts for "The Key" were played. I was quite intrigued to hear this, and tried to imagine how big Go North East's marketing budget must be - I could only assume that the same story would apply for other radio stations in the region, as well as newspapers too.

We're currently listening to Real Radio at work, and there are regular GNE adverts on a loop. Cobalt, Fab 56 and X66 I think is the latest. Real also plug some stats that for every £1 spent on radio advertising, you get £8 back in 'benefit'. Plus, don't Real/Metro enjoy plugs on GNE buses with the audios? I've also noticed GNE now advertise on the Chronicle website. On the banner at the top of the home page where Arriva used to....

Interestingly, the Moe Syzlak lookalike that I share an office with nearly fell off his chair when he heard the adverts hawking free wi-fi. A good way to get the message out I think.
(19 Mar 2014, 1:24 pm)Bazza Houston wrote 8295 has now gained South Tyne branding and is in the process of having its copyright notices on

Why would they put copyright notices on the branding? Stop Trent Barton stealing it perhaps? :p

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Banned
(19 Mar 2014, 1:28 pm)tyresmoke wrote Why would they put copyright notices on the branding? Stop Trent Barton stealing it perhaps? :p

my own copyright notices Bazza90 Bus Photos
(19 Mar 2014, 1:56 pm)Bazza Houston wrote my own copyright notices Bazza90 Bus Photos

Ah on your photo! Should have said lol
Does look smart I have to admit. Looks better on a Versa than the Cadets imo

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Banned
(19 Mar 2014, 2:13 pm)tyresmoke wrote Ah on your photo! Should have said lol
Does look smart I have to admit. Looks better on a Versa than the Cadets imo

at the time when i originally saw this i was heading to Newcastle and then to Chester-le-Street for Whey Aye Five 0 then i saw a 88 with a rather looking advert couldnt see due to Sun but had my Sunglasses on the furthest i went i then realised it was branded got a rubish shot on the ASDA side of the road but then waited 2 Hours til it came back to get a proper shot of it outside my local ASDA
Banned
(19 Mar 2014, 4:17 pm)Michael wrote Looks alright on the versa

GNE have post about the upcoming changes.

http://www.simplygo.com/news/new-service...ce-changes

looks good the service changes i seem to like the new South Tyne livery on the versa when i saw it heading for Hebburn Metro listening to my iphone Alex Clare - Too Close i looked at 1st it looked unbranded then my plans changed at the last minute i saw a advert on the screens and realised it was branded waited 2 hours til it returned oh well Chester-le-Street can wait for now til at least Saturday or Something like that gonna wait til all branded so it is less time to hasstle
(19 Mar 2014, 5:46 pm)Bazza Houston wrote looks good the service changes i seem to like the new South Tyne livery on the versa when i saw it heading for Hebburn Metro listening to my iphone Alex Clare - Too Close i looked at 1st it looked unbranded then my plans changed at the last minute i saw a advert on the screens and realised it was branded waited 2 hours til it returned oh well Chester-le-Street can wait for now til at least Saturday or Something like that gonna wait til all branded so it is less time to hasstle

Its ok but I much preferred it on the Cadets.
Site Administrator
5164 is the latest Renown to be sent to Saltmeadoes for repaint into corporate livery.
(19 Mar 2014, 6:27 pm)Dan wrote 5164 is the latest Renown to be sent to Saltmeadoes for repaint into corporate livery.

Is their only:

5153,5156-5159,5163,5167-5172 (of the duel door B10's)

(Going by GNE fleet list)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(19 Mar 2014, 7:10 pm)Michael wrote Is their only:

5153,5156-5159,5163,5167-5172 (of the duel door B10's)

(Going by GNE fleet list)

That should be right. Still out so can't check on my notes for the moment though.
(19 Mar 2014, 8:17 am)AdamY wrote Compared to television and print advertising, radio advertising really doesn't cost that much. I doubt a company like Go North East would need a huge marketing budget to produce a couple of radio ads. I suppose if you wanted to draw a rough comparison, imagine the size of GNE to, say, Frank's Carpets, Browell Smith and Co, or any other company that you regularly hear adverts for on the radio.

If Mr Rahman and his zip shop next to the motorbike shops on Westgate Road could afford them...

(19 Mar 2014, 8:29 am)Dan wrote Quite right. It was actually mentioned yesterday by the head of department how cheap radio advertising is compared to other Media forms - allowing smaller companies to advertise too.
There were companies who were paying as little as £120, and some up to £600. We visited the News & Star in Carlisle a few months ago and figures were often in their thousands for advertising using the print platform.

Combined with the cost of advertising on other radio stations as well as having a large print presence though, the costs seem massive. I think I've heard one or two Stagecoach ads, but I've never heard of Arriva advertising on the radio (but perhaps this is down to me living in Sunderland rather than the company not doing it - I recall the mention of East Durham radio ads the other day on the Arriva thread).

As AdamY said, GNE have adverts promoting services currently. There have been some in the not too distant past.
The bod from ANE made a cameo on some a few years back too!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(19 Mar 2014, 7:24 pm)Dan wrote That should be right. Still out so can't check on my notes for the moment though.

Thought so!, they still only doing 1 every few days?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Mar 2014, 7:27 pm)Michael wrote Thought so!, they still only doing 1 every few days?

I think a sudden rush of Centurion B10s will be entering the paint shop because of the Centurion brand disappearing on Sunday.
Site Administrator
(19 Mar 2014, 7:27 pm)Michael wrote Thought so!, they still only doing 1 every few days?

Roughly works out at one every week from each depot. Smile
(19 Mar 2014, 7:35 pm)Dan wrote Roughly works out at one every week from each depot. Smile

Cheers =)

Anyone else think the 17 timetable is quite confusing?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 Mar 2014, 4:17 pm)Michael wrote Looks alright on the versa

GNE have post about the upcoming changes.

http://www.simplygo.com/news/new-service...ce-changes

Fab56 - The Monday to Friday 0550 Sunderland Interchange to Newcastle journey will be retimed to leave at 0546, then run up to four minutes earlier through to Wrekenton High Street Co-operative, in order to improve reliability

Reliability issues at that time of the morning?
Sounds like the traffic issues which affect Stanley out of peak times (according to Hignett anyway), are spreading! Big Grin
(19 Mar 2014, 10:36 pm)Andreos Constantopolous wrote Sounds like the traffic issues which affect Stanley out of peak times (according to Hignett anyway), are spreading! Big Grin

Ha!

I wonder how Ian and Janet are getting along these days. It's been awhile since that cheque was presented to them.
(19 Mar 2014, 7:37 pm)Michael wrote Cheers =)

Anyone else think the 17 timetable is quite confusing?

Not really, just need to know that when travelling towards cramlington only one of the buses per hour goes all the way, with people living in killingworth/forest hall getting an hourly service. Then you have the shorts to ASDA. As the day goes on more journeys tend to end at North Shields or Wallsend which is to aid inter working, like the 17A and the fact that the 17 (rose hill - cramlington) end up with anything that had been on the NTL that day. From then the 17A runs as usual to Whitley bay from walls end except it doesn't go through holy cross. The 17 continues to run but only as far as rose hill in how don. The timetable isn't that confusing when you're reliant on the slice everyday, like I am hahah Big Grin
Marxista Fozzski
Will Next Stop announcements ever be introduced to the 61, in general, I dont like them and find them annoying, but it seems a waste of space having the screen there and it not doing anything...
Just saw the 61 coming up from Seaham town centre up to police station then along the graham way going towards murton. Bus was full very strange off route
(20 Mar 2014, 10:18 am)Acky81 wrote Just saw the 61 coming up from Seaham town centre up to police station then along the graham way going towards murton. Bus was full very strange off route

There are problems down by Dalton le Dale apparently. Buses are being diverted
Marxista Fozzski
(20 Mar 2014, 10:18 am)Acky81 wrote Just saw the 61 coming up from Seaham town centre up to police station then along the graham way going towards murton. Bus was full very strange off route

In the past it has been a common diversionary route for Murton buses when there is a problem, I have known Murton bound buses use the Coast Road, Lord Byrons Walk and Station Road into Seaham and use The Avenue, The Graham Way and the A182 past Fox Cover to get back on track...

One of the strangest diversions I ever was a few year ago, a bus crashed at Cold Heseldon and some buses for Murton diverted all the way to Easington Village and come back down the A19 to Dalton Park as they could not get through the Crash site

(20 Mar 2014, 10:32 am)Andreos Constantopolous wrote There are problems down by Dalton le Dale apparently. Buses are being diverted

If there coming up Graham Way, the problem is not Dalton-le-Dale, the Graham Way comes out at the top of the Times Inn bank towards Dalton-le-Dale...

I am guessing the problem is somewhere between Ryhope and Deneside
(20 Mar 2014, 10:48 am)marxistafozzski wrote In the past it has been a common diversionary route for Murton buses when there is a problem, I have known Murton bound buses use the Coast Road, Lord Byrons Walk and Station Road into Seaham and use The Avenue, The Graham Way and the A182 past Fox Cover to get back on track...

One of the strangest diversions I ever was a few year ago, a bus crashed at Cold Heseldon and some buses for Murton diverted all the way to Easington Village and come back down the A19 to Dalton Park as they could not get through the Crash site

If there coming up Graham Way, the problem is not Dalton-le-Dale, the Graham Way comes out at the top of the Times Inn bank towards Dalton-le-Dale...

I am guessing the problem is somewhere between Ryhope and Deneside

Just going off the GNE update, that said the issue was at the Times Inn Bank

Thinking about it though, if it is diverted via the A182, it has to pick up the route into Seaham at the top of the Graham Way, for all the people waiting for it from Murton, towards Sunderland.
Essentially doubling back on itself from Times Inn Bank.