Menu

North East Buses The Canteen General off-topic chat Whats made you happy today?

Whats made you happy today?

Whats made you happy today?

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (203): Previous 113 14 15203 Next
11 Jul 2014, 4:50 pm
(11 Jul 2014, 4:28 pm)Marcus I'm off to Germany with the school tomorrow morning. Got to be at the school for 5:30 in the morning. Arrive at the hostel at about 9:00.

Spent the entire English lesson today in a class discussion - discussing Pokémon with my teacher Tongue

Somebody brought up Gameboys - and he suddenly had a smile from ear to ear and he burst out saying he used to play on Blue. Was absolutely creased - looked like he'd just won the lottery!

Nothing better when a lesson moves to a random subject and u spend all the lesson talking about it.

I still have my pokemon games and cards XD

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
11 Jul 2014, 4:50 pm #261

(11 Jul 2014, 4:28 pm)Marcus I'm off to Germany with the school tomorrow morning. Got to be at the school for 5:30 in the morning. Arrive at the hostel at about 9:00.

Spent the entire English lesson today in a class discussion - discussing Pokémon with my teacher Tongue

Somebody brought up Gameboys - and he suddenly had a smile from ear to ear and he burst out saying he used to play on Blue. Was absolutely creased - looked like he'd just won the lottery!

Nothing better when a lesson moves to a random subject and u spend all the lesson talking about it.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

11 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm

Potentially giving up my anonymity here - but we had a teacher who when made redundant from the shipyards - spent time travelling.
He often used to share tales of his adventures (better at that than teaching) and mentioned about a time he was in Papua New Guinea.

Wandering in the middle of nowhere, he heard electronic beeping coming from a short distance away.
As he got closer, he realised a kid from a tribe was playing on a Game Boy, left by a fellow traveller.
Presumably a stash of batteries were left as I can't see the leccy supply being too hot out there.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
11 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm #262

Potentially giving up my anonymity here - but we had a teacher who when made redundant from the shipyards - spent time travelling.
He often used to share tales of his adventures (better at that than teaching) and mentioned about a time he was in Papua New Guinea.

Wandering in the middle of nowhere, he heard electronic beeping coming from a short distance away.
As he got closer, he realised a kid from a tribe was playing on a Game Boy, left by a fellow traveller.
Presumably a stash of batteries were left as I can't see the leccy supply being too hot out there.

11 Jul 2014, 5:27 pm
(11 Jul 2014, 4:50 pm)Michael Nothing better when a lesson moves to a random subject and u spend all the lesson talking about it.

Oh trust me - some of my teachers (well, ex-teachers seeing as I've finished school for the year) just have to jump in when a new, normally controversial topic comes about.
R852 PRG
11 Jul 2014, 5:27 pm #263

(11 Jul 2014, 4:50 pm)Michael Nothing better when a lesson moves to a random subject and u spend all the lesson talking about it.

Oh trust me - some of my teachers (well, ex-teachers seeing as I've finished school for the year) just have to jump in when a new, normally controversial topic comes about.

Dan
Site Administrator
11 Jul 2014, 5:48 pm
(11 Jul 2014, 5:27 pm)Marcus Oh trust me - some of my teachers (well, ex-teachers seeing as I've finished school for the year) just have to jump in when a new, normally controversial topic comes about.

One of the best things about school - when teachers share their views on a controversial topic (even though they're apparently not allowed to - they have to 'sit on the fence' and remain impartial in case it influences our views).

Here's what made me happy today...
[Image: 10518259_350164138466311_1979541867_n.jpg]

Over the past few days, store management have really recognised the hard work and effort I've put in, and have often complimented me. It was also mentioned that unlike many in the store, I looked happy to be there... Debatable, but I was the only one singing along to the music playing in-store quietly to myself... Tongue

Indeed the compliments have been replicated by other members of staff too! An older member of staff on the bakery department (of whom I had not even seen prior to today) came up to me this afternoon whilst the department manager was standing next to me and said how she knew it wasn't her place to say given that she isn't even on my department, but she's been watching me over the past few days and has been incredibly impressed by the amount of effort that I've put in. She said that she has seen so many students on work experience come to the store, put no effort in, and leave before the work experience placement expired - and how it was so refreshing and wonderful to see a massive amount of enthusiasm being put into the job.

On the subject of students ditching the work experience placement before 17:00 on the Friday came, I was told fairly early on in the week that some students last year came on the Monday morning, went out for their lunch, and did not return! Mind, I must say if I had been doing it in Year 10 (like most schools do), I don't think I could have coped with it.
Dan
11 Jul 2014, 5:48 pm #264

(11 Jul 2014, 5:27 pm)Marcus Oh trust me - some of my teachers (well, ex-teachers seeing as I've finished school for the year) just have to jump in when a new, normally controversial topic comes about.

One of the best things about school - when teachers share their views on a controversial topic (even though they're apparently not allowed to - they have to 'sit on the fence' and remain impartial in case it influences our views).

Over the past few days, store management have really recognised the hard work and effort I've put in, and have often complimented me. It was also mentioned that unlike many in the store, I looked happy to be there... Debatable, but I was the only one singing along to the music playing in-store quietly to myself... Tongue

Indeed the compliments have been replicated by other members of staff too! An older member of staff on the bakery department (of whom I had not even seen prior to today) came up to me this afternoon whilst the department manager was standing next to me and said how she knew it wasn't her place to say given that she isn't even on my department, but she's been watching me over the past few days and has been incredibly impressed by the amount of effort that I've put in. She said that she has seen so many students on work experience come to the store, put no effort in, and leave before the work experience placement expired - and how it was so refreshing and wonderful to see a massive amount of enthusiasm being put into the job.

On the subject of students ditching the work experience placement before 17:00 on the Friday came, I was told fairly early on in the week that some students last year came on the Monday morning, went out for their lunch, and did not return! Mind, I must say if I had been doing it in Year 10 (like most schools do), I don't think I could have coped with it.

11 Jul 2014, 6:18 pm
(11 Jul 2014, 5:48 pm)Dan One of the best things about school - when teachers share their views on a controversial topic (even though they're apparently not allowed to - they have to 'sit on the fence' and remain impartial in case it influences our views).

The compliments certainly can't do any harm Smile why don't you write to one of those managers in a couple weeks time and enquire about part time work? I know Sainsburys over this way do a lot of part time contracts for students in sixth form/college, but unlike most places, you at least get a set amount of hours per week.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
11 Jul 2014, 6:18 pm #265

(11 Jul 2014, 5:48 pm)Dan One of the best things about school - when teachers share their views on a controversial topic (even though they're apparently not allowed to - they have to 'sit on the fence' and remain impartial in case it influences our views).

The compliments certainly can't do any harm Smile why don't you write to one of those managers in a couple weeks time and enquire about part time work? I know Sainsburys over this way do a lot of part time contracts for students in sixth form/college, but unlike most places, you at least get a set amount of hours per week.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Dan
Site Administrator
11 Jul 2014, 6:33 pm
(11 Jul 2014, 6:18 pm)aureolin The compliments certainly can't do any harm Smile why don't you write to one of those managers in a couple weeks time and enquire about part time work? I know Sainsburys over this way do a lot of part time contracts for students in sixth form/college, but unlike most places, you at least get a set amount of hours per week.

One of the lads today said it'll be a shame not having me around as an extra pair of hands! Gotta say, unless the rotas were worked around people being in for Work Experience, they would have struggled this week... I think today was the only day when they weren't short staffed really! Can't remember if I mentioned it on here or not, but I had the entire department to myself all morning yesterday (well, with the other lad I was doing work experience with... but he's about as good as a blind lifeguard.

I know that employers can't discriminate against me for age (officially), but given the fact, at a guess, nobody in there was under the age of 25... Think it says a lot.
We were told that we should write a thank you letter (which I intend on doing), and I had originally planned to say I'd be more than happy to work part-time on evenings/weekends during term time... Not sure about adding that extra bit in now, but we'll wait and see.
Dan
11 Jul 2014, 6:33 pm #266

(11 Jul 2014, 6:18 pm)aureolin The compliments certainly can't do any harm Smile why don't you write to one of those managers in a couple weeks time and enquire about part time work? I know Sainsburys over this way do a lot of part time contracts for students in sixth form/college, but unlike most places, you at least get a set amount of hours per week.

One of the lads today said it'll be a shame not having me around as an extra pair of hands! Gotta say, unless the rotas were worked around people being in for Work Experience, they would have struggled this week... I think today was the only day when they weren't short staffed really! Can't remember if I mentioned it on here or not, but I had the entire department to myself all morning yesterday (well, with the other lad I was doing work experience with... but he's about as good as a blind lifeguard.

I know that employers can't discriminate against me for age (officially), but given the fact, at a guess, nobody in there was under the age of 25... Think it says a lot.
We were told that we should write a thank you letter (which I intend on doing), and I had originally planned to say I'd be more than happy to work part-time on evenings/weekends during term time... Not sure about adding that extra bit in now, but we'll wait and see.

MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
11 Jul 2014, 6:44 pm
(11 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Potentially giving up my anonymity here - but we had a teacher who when made redundant from the shipyards - spent time travelling.

I remember one of my mates going visiting a Russian Orphanage back in late 90's, it was upsetting for him what he saw, the kids had nothing at all, ran a guilt trip on himself and left all of his clothes he went out for the Russian kids...

Another story unrelated to the above, another mate went to Romania with Save The Children, while there he bought a gun shaped cigarette lighter, he got pulled in at Customs at either Gatwick or Heathrow, he told the Customs officer it was a lighter no a real shooter, the customs man took it, put his opposite up in front of the lighter and pulled the trigger...Lucky it really was a lighter otherwise it would have blown his hand off
MrFozz
11 Jul 2014, 6:44 pm #267

(11 Jul 2014, 4:57 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Potentially giving up my anonymity here - but we had a teacher who when made redundant from the shipyards - spent time travelling.

I remember one of my mates going visiting a Russian Orphanage back in late 90's, it was upsetting for him what he saw, the kids had nothing at all, ran a guilt trip on himself and left all of his clothes he went out for the Russian kids...

Another story unrelated to the above, another mate went to Romania with Save The Children, while there he bought a gun shaped cigarette lighter, he got pulled in at Customs at either Gatwick or Heathrow, he told the Customs officer it was a lighter no a real shooter, the customs man took it, put his opposite up in front of the lighter and pulled the trigger...Lucky it really was a lighter otherwise it would have blown his hand off

15 Jul 2014, 1:06 am
Losing 10lbs in weight after my first week with Slimming World.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
15 Jul 2014, 1:06 am #268

Losing 10lbs in weight after my first week with Slimming World.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
15 Jul 2014, 7:30 am
(15 Jul 2014, 1:06 am)GMitchelhill Losing 10lbs in weight after my first week with Slimming World.

Well done Mr Mitchelhill
MrFozz
15 Jul 2014, 7:30 am #269

(15 Jul 2014, 1:06 am)GMitchelhill Losing 10lbs in weight after my first week with Slimming World.

Well done Mr Mitchelhill

15 Jul 2014, 12:42 pm
Just had my graduation ceremony at Northumbria University this morning.

It's the second time I've graduated as a student and, on the whole, the affair was just as boring as the previous occasion. With approx 540 students to get through in around two hours it can also seem rather impersonal - the fact that was held in the main sports hall at Sport Central (Newcastle University's, for example, is held in The Kings Hall) doesn't really add to the event in my opinion.

My own personal observations and complaints aside, getting through university and graduating is an achievement and it's one that I'm happy about.
MurdnunoC
15 Jul 2014, 12:42 pm #270

Just had my graduation ceremony at Northumbria University this morning.

It's the second time I've graduated as a student and, on the whole, the affair was just as boring as the previous occasion. With approx 540 students to get through in around two hours it can also seem rather impersonal - the fact that was held in the main sports hall at Sport Central (Newcastle University's, for example, is held in The Kings Hall) doesn't really add to the event in my opinion.

My own personal observations and complaints aside, getting through university and graduating is an achievement and it's one that I'm happy about.

15 Jul 2014, 12:47 pm
(15 Jul 2014, 12:42 pm)AdamY Just had my graduation ceremony at Northumbria University this morning.

Well done Mr Y!

Andreos1
15 Jul 2014, 12:47 pm #271

(15 Jul 2014, 12:42 pm)AdamY Just had my graduation ceremony at Northumbria University this morning.

Well done Mr Y!

Dan
Site Administrator
15 Jul 2014, 12:49 pm
Very well done!
Dan
15 Jul 2014, 12:49 pm #272

Very well done!

MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
15 Jul 2014, 3:42 pm

Well done mate, I'm chuffed for you Wink
MrFozz
15 Jul 2014, 3:42 pm #273

Well done mate, I'm chuffed for you Wink

15 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm
Thanks all.

Now the big question I have to ask myself is whether I should blow around £15,000 on doing a PhD?
MurdnunoC
15 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm #274

Thanks all.

Now the big question I have to ask myself is whether I should blow around £15,000 on doing a PhD?

15 Jul 2014, 8:51 pm
(15 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm)AdamY Thanks all.

Dr Y I presume?

If it was me, I would ask the following questions:
Will it help me find employment?
Will I get my money back? i.e the PhD will enhance my salary by £15k over a period of time?

If you enjoy the subject and aren't bothered about the money,go for it.

Andreos1
15 Jul 2014, 8:51 pm #275

(15 Jul 2014, 8:38 pm)AdamY Thanks all.

Dr Y I presume?

Will I get my money back? i.e the PhD will enhance my salary by £15k over a period of time?

15 Jul 2014, 9:02 pm
(15 Jul 2014, 8:51 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Dr Y I presume?

Answering those questions is easy.

1) I study Transport History so probably not!
2) I'm in my mid-30s so finding a job in 3-5 years time where I'll be able to enhance my salary by 15k looks unlikely.

However, I would love for everybody at work to call me Dr Young. In fact, I'll have to insist upon it - customers too!
MurdnunoC
15 Jul 2014, 9:02 pm #276

(15 Jul 2014, 8:51 pm)Andreos Constantopolous Dr Y I presume?

Answering those questions is easy.

2) I'm in my mid-30s so finding a job in 3-5 years time where I'll be able to enhance my salary by 15k looks unlikely.

However, I would love for everybody at work to call me Dr Young. In fact, I'll have to insist upon it - customers too!

MrFozz
Marxista Fozzski
16 Jul 2014, 9:55 am
(15 Jul 2014, 9:02 pm)AdamY Answering those questions is easy.

Will Doc do
MrFozz
16 Jul 2014, 9:55 am #277

(15 Jul 2014, 9:02 pm)AdamY Answering those questions is easy.

Will Doc do

16 Jul 2014, 12:14 pm
(16 Jul 2014, 9:55 am)marxistafozzski Will Doc do

No.

Only Doctor or Your Eminence will suffice!
MurdnunoC
16 Jul 2014, 12:14 pm #278

(16 Jul 2014, 9:55 am)marxistafozzski Will Doc do

No.

Only Doctor or Your Eminence will suffice!

19 Jul 2014, 12:42 am
At 02:10 to 02:20 - "I can't believe you kiss your "Cock" at Night" - Go ahead tell me I am totally wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VFgDYkTXUQ

Furthermore to the clip above, and how this post Originated - Peter Kay Song Lyrics.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cylsLhQaPFw
Malarkey
19 Jul 2014, 12:42 am #279

At 02:10 to 02:20 - "I can't believe you kiss your "Cock" at Night" - Go ahead tell me I am totally wrong

Furthermore to the clip above, and how this post Originated - Peter Kay Song Lyrics.

Dan
Site Administrator
19 Jul 2014, 6:57 am
(19 Jul 2014, 12:42 am)NEBCD Malarkey At 02:10 to 02:20 - "I can't believe you kiss your "Cock" at Night" - Go ahead tell me I am totally wrong

Pretty funny clip - haven't seen that before!
Dan
19 Jul 2014, 6:57 am #280

(19 Jul 2014, 12:42 am)NEBCD Malarkey At 02:10 to 02:20 - "I can't believe you kiss your "Cock" at Night" - Go ahead tell me I am totally wrong

Pretty funny clip - haven't seen that before!

Pages (203): Previous 113 14 15203 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 994
Views 510164
16 May 2024, 11:48 am
Last Post by Andreos1
Replies 3815
Views 1756750
14 May 2024, 1:23 pm
Last Post by Rob44
Replies 2999