You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(07 Jan 2014, 12:44 pm)gtomlinson wrote The way 'some' people go on you'd think the X3 was some super route operated by fleets of constantly packed double deckers

Sunderland and its outyling surburban bus routes are not the centre of the universe

nb - the last sentence is not a dig at some of the enjoyable debate that has taken place on the topic

What you going on about man, Marley Pots, Monkwearmouth and Carley Hill is Gods Country, Capital of the World Big Grin
RE: Go North East - Latest
(07 Jan 2014, 12:44 pm)gtomlinson wrote The way 'some' people go on you'd think the X3 was some super route operated by fleets of constantly packed double deckers

Sunderland and its outyling surburban bus routes are not the centre of the universe

nb - the last sentence is not a dig at some of the enjoyable debate that has taken place on the topic

The Newcastle - Sunderland via Newcastle Road route, was and never has been a successful operation (either now or in its previous lives).

However, the new timetable seems silly and a waste of a driver, vehicle and fuel.

Not sure what purpose it is meant to have.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(07 Jan 2014, 1:17 pm)andreos1 wrote The Newcastle - Sunderland via Newcastle Road route, was and never has been a successful operation (either now or in its previous lives).

However, the new timetable seems silly and a waste of a driver, vehicle and fuel.

Not sure what purpose it is meant to have.

I think its down to the pensioners and the councillor in the East Boldon area which would lose the direct link to Gateshead and Newcastle.

I think GNE 2 consulations ago, were thinking of cancelling the X3 to bring the passengers onto the X36 between Newcastle and Sunderland

(07 Jan 2014, 11:15 am)CatsFast101 wrote From what I can see;
Board 1:
7:30 Monkwearmouth-Newcastle
Runs dead to depot to pick up a scholar. Then returns onto the X3's.
9:19 Monkwearmouth-Newcastle
10:00 Newcastle-Monkwearmouth
There's a gap.
13:19 Monkwearmouth-Newcastle
14:00 Newcastle-Monkwearmouth
Picks up a scholar.
17:20 Newcastle-Monkwearmouth

2nd board;
Picks up the scholar.
10:19 Monkwearmouth-Newcastle
11:00 Newcastle-Monkwearmouth
Then there's a gap.
12:19 Monkwearmouth-Newcastle
13:00 Newcastle-Monkwearmouth
Picks up scholar.

Very strange workings. I can't quite make out if I'm right with what I've said, and the gaps in the middle of the day are strange. Not sure what buses will be used. I've guessed that these will interwork with the scholar the 99 used to do, 'board 1' pick that one up. I've said before about a scholar in Seaham which uses an MPD, it's possible that this bus will now be used on X3's during daytimes.
I can't see anything more than MPD been needed for this service I'm guessing we'll see 547 & 542 used on this with 544 & 561 used on the 99. Obviously with the East Durham branded examples, 541 & 543 been used on 238's. This does mean all Deptford MPD's are required daily with only 1 spare at Peterlee. I can see shortage of these vehicles in coming months, maybe more cadets on some MPD routes?

I think the workings will be the other way:
Board X3/1
7:30 Monkwearmouth-Newcastle
Runs dead to depot to pick up a scholar. Then returns onto the X3's.
9:19 Monkwearmouth-Newcastle
10:00 Newcastle-Monkwearmouth
Light to Park Lane, driver's break
Light to Monkwearmouth
12:19 Monkwearmouth-Newcastle
13:00 Newcastle-Monkwearmouth
Picks up scholar.

Board X3/2
Picks up the scholar.
10:19 Monkwearmouth-Newcastle
11:00 Newcastle-Monkwearmouth
Light to Park Lane, driver's break
Light to Monkwearmouth
13:19 Monkwearmouth-Newcastle
14:00 Newcastle-Monkwearmouth
Picks up a scholar.
17:20 Newcastle-Monkwearmouth
(07 Jan 2014, 10:29 am)Greg in Weardale wrote What a pathetic, pointless service the new X3 is. Which lunatic would design a timetable like that? Three Saturday journeys run only from Newcastle to not even the edge of Fulwell where the Newcastle Road joins the Shields Road. Last Mon - Fri run to Newcastle is lunchtime and there's a journey from Monkwearmouth at 09.19 so biddy passes can't use it. It is MENTAL and the company should be ashamed. The rot which set in 18 months or so ago in the design of their services and timetables is spreading.

Obviously the passenger numbers haven't been high enough, so they've looked at what are the busiest journeys that people use. All you ever seem to do is complain... That's ridiculous, what's the point of running a service that gets little passengers?
(07 Jan 2014, 10:29 am)Greg in Weardale wrote What a pathetic, pointless service the new X3 is. Which lunatic would design a timetable like that? Three Saturday journeys run only from Newcastle to not even the edge of Fulwell where the Newcastle Road joins the Shields Road. Last Mon - Fri run to Newcastle is lunchtime and there's a journey from Monkwearmouth at 09.19 so biddy passes can't use it. It is MENTAL and the company should be ashamed. The rot which set in 18 months or so ago in the design of their services and timetables is spreading.

So if the X3 is Pathetic and Pointless, What is your opinion on the 27X then, As I would think the Service Design is pretty the same.
(07 Jan 2014, 3:14 pm)Michael wrote Still waiting for the 29 timetable to be uploaded

Looking through the timetables, I really like these North Sunderland changes, unlike to other changes in the North Sunderland area.

X3 - It's not really bad, I suppose it's because the passenger numbers throughout the time Go North East have operated it, passenger numbers haven't been as good as expected. If the service is popular enough to get a upgrade in frequency next year, that that'd be a bonus! But overall, I don't think it will work. It is a good idea having that express service though.

X36 - I like it. I hope people will use this service more, as it has a brand etc. Also, I hope more passengers will use the service as a ''local'' bus if you know what I mean, rather than using the 4 around Downhill and Hylton Red House. Personally, I think the service will work this time, but I think it should stop on New Bridge Street or Pilgrim Street for two reasons, first one being taking more passengers from the X34. And people might get on it who use the long 56, who didn't know about the service?

9 - Nothing spectacular, but overall good. I think the 15 minute service between Jarrow and Sunderland is fantastic, though.

29 - Well, this service again, will hopefully take a few passengers from the Stagecoach services. I think the links to Doxford Park/Doxford International are also good, but I think the service should omit Park Lane (in addition to the ''Laser'' services) to speed up the journey times, as more people will wish to board the service in the City Centre, rather than Park Lane. I'd also like to see the 29 replace the 38, because I think the 20 minute service along the 39 is sufficient.

39 - Nothing much to say about this one...
Site Administrator
"Drifter" Streetlite 5372 has working Wi-Fi today. The first example I've been on with working Wi-Fi.

With the Wi-Fi working on all four "Fab Fifty Six" vehicles which are now out in service, I think we can safely assume that the parties involved in the fixing of the Wi-Fi have indeed managed to fix it, and the fix is being gradually rolled out across the fleet. It took long enough, but better late than never.
(07 Jan 2014, 4:14 pm)Dan wrote "Drifter" Streetlite 5372 has working Wi-Fi today. The first example I've been on with working Wi-Fi.

With the Wi-Fi working on all four "Fab Fifty Six" vehicles which are now out in service, I think we can safely assume that the parties involved in the fixing of the Wi-Fi have indeed managed to fix it, and the fix is being gradually rolled out across the fleet. It took long enough, but better late than never.

Maybe that's why some fab56 B9s were sent back to saltmeadows?
(07 Jan 2014, 3:20 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote So if the X3 is Pathetic and Pointless, What is your opinion on the 27X then, As I would think the Service Design is pretty the same.

Yes, the 27X is far less use than it could be, especially not using Gateshead Interchange - it seems to me that GNE put on a service in response to local requests, then make as useless as they can so people won't use it, then they can say at least they tried, rather than designing a good service which passengers will want to use. The X3 has been cut back time after time, not even mentioned in the last consultation, and its probably only been saved to satisfy me and a few others who added on the form that we wanted it to continue, but made virtually useless. The X3 loadings justified at least an hourly service, certainly more so than the X36, but then that was only changed as they wanted to cancel the 36/36A. So the X3 had to go, but to pacify those who saw through their heavily weighted consultation questions and called for it to be retained, they put on this idiotic new timetable.
And why only to Monkwearmouth, half a mile from the city centre, when the buses will run there empty??? Insane! (and I'm whingeing about it both because it's a deranged timetable and I use the X3)
Site Administrator

I agree.

I must say that I highly doubt a service would be withdrawn or see continuous changes if it was massively profitable. The fact that there have been so many changes to the X3 shows to me that there is little demand service for the service, or that it is not making profits as it should be.

In my opinion, the only reason why the X3 has remained (in the form which will take place later this month) will be down to local councillors in the affected areas. They have seemingly found reason to complain each and every time the services have been consulted in the past.

(07 Jan 2014, 3:02 pm)Tom wrote Obviously the passenger numbers haven't been high enough, so they've looked at what are the busiest journeys that people use. All you ever seem to do is complain... That's ridiculous, what's the point of running a service that gets little passengers?

Yes, I think that sounds quite logical.

(07 Jan 2014, 3:20 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote So if the X3 is Pathetic and Pointless, What is your opinion on the 27X then, As I would think the Service Design is pretty the same.

Difference obviously being that one is a commercial service, and the other is operated via a partnership...
Go North East have complete control with the X3, and if it ain't making money, there's no reason to keep it - whether it's Dot, Pat or Margaret's local bus or not.

(07 Jan 2014, 3:26 pm)Tom wrote Looking through the timetables, I really like these North Sunderland changes, unlike to other changes in the North Sunderland area.

X3 - It's not really bad, I suppose it's because the passenger numbers throughout the time Go North East have operated it, passenger numbers haven't been as good as expected. If the service is popular enough to get a upgrade in frequency next year, that that'd be a bonus! But overall, I don't think it will work. It is a good idea having that express service though.

X36 - I like it. I hope people will use this service more, as it has a brand etc. Also, I hope more passengers will use the service as a ''local'' bus if you know what I mean, rather than using the 4 around Downhill and Hylton Red House. Personally, I think the service will work this time, but I think it should stop on New Bridge Street or Pilgrim Street for two reasons, first one being taking more passengers from the X34. And people might get on it who use the long 56, who didn't know about the service?

9 - Nothing spectacular, but overall good. I think the 15 minute service between Jarrow and Sunderland is fantastic, though.

29 - Well, this service again, will hopefully take a few passengers from the Stagecoach services. I think the links to Doxford Park/Doxford International are also good, but I think the service should omit Park Lane (in addition to the ''Laser'' services) to speed up the journey times, as more people will wish to board the service in the City Centre, rather than Park Lane. I'd also like to see the 29 replace the 38, because I think the 20 minute service along the 39 is sufficient.

39 - Nothing much to say about this one...

All in all, I agree.

X3 - Overall, I think Go North East are trying to prove to local councillors that the service is not commercially viable. We're at what I would say was a peak time now, and the X3 I've just seen not so long ago was allocated a Vyking - with what looked like two passengers on board (both of which did appear to be fare payers). They've tried to operate it as cheaply as possible (omitting Eldon Square and Park Lane), with as low a PVR as possible too.

X36 - I doubt the X36 will ever be a local service. It can hardly compete against Stagecoach's streamlined ten minute frequency services, and will only ever pick up the people who are meeting further Go North East connections. Also, New Bridge Street? I can't think of one existing on the X36's route... There's a North Bridge Street in Sunderland, but the X36 does stop here (as shown here.

9 - I'm a little disappointed that the service is not branded, but this makes sense if the service is in line to be allocated B10BLE vehicles (it has been an aim to phase branding from these vehicles, not add more).

29 - I'm always in two minds whether I actually like cross-city services (Stagecoach standard) or not. There is the huge issue of disruption at one end of the route and passengers at the other end suffering as a result, but a lot of new links are created this way. With a Solar allocation rather than Vyking or SPD, I do hope reliability will improve though.

39 - While I would have liked to see a ten minute frequency to compete with the competition across the entire route, I do think it was perhaps a bit steep for so much of an upgrade at once (vehicle type and frequency). Glad to see that Go North East know there is a demand between those two points for that ten minute frequency and it has been retained as such. I've always disliked the short runs, as I do with all services. I feel it can often be quite confusing to the passenger, and many end up asking if it's the right bus or not - "Do you go up Pennywell or are you just going to the town?" I imagine will be a common question asked, despite there being a destination on the front of the bus.

(07 Jan 2014, 4:36 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote The X3 has been cut back time after time

That should tell you immediately that the service is not performing as it should be.

Serious question to anyone that knows the answer (I don't know the answer myself, so I'm not asking to be dickish), does it appear that the PVR of Deptford and Percy Main have remained the same, increased or decreased?
(07 Jan 2014, 4:36 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote Yes, the 27X is far less use than it could be, especially not using Gateshead Interchange - it seems to me that GNE put on a service in response to local requests, then make as useless as they can so people won't use it, then they can say at least they tried, rather than designing a good service which passengers will want to use. The X3 has been cut back time after time, not even mentioned in the last consultation, and its probably only been saved to satisfy me and a few others who added on the form that we wanted it to continue, but made virtually useless. The X3 loadings justified at least an hourly service, certainly more so than the X36, but then that was only changed as they wanted to cancel the 36/36A. So the X3 had to go, but to pacify those who saw through their heavily weighted consultation questions and called for it to be retained, they put on this idiotic new timetable.
And why only to Monkwearmouth, half a mile from the city centre, when the buses will run there empty??? Insane! (and I'm whingeing about it both because it's a deranged timetable and I use the X3)

You use the X3 from Sunderland to Newcastle? - Why not use the X36?
(07 Jan 2014, 5:01 pm)Dan wrote Also, New Bridge Street? I can't think of one existing on the X36's route... There's a North Bridge Street in Sunderland, but the X36 does stop here

New Bridge Street in Newcastle? It's where the 56, 57 and 58 (not those continuing to Hadrian Park) terminate at.
Site Administrator
(07 Jan 2014, 5:13 pm)BJ10VUS wrote New Bridge Street in Newcastle? It's where the 56, 57 and 58 (not those continuing to Hadrian Park) terminate at.

Oh, of course. It looks so odd seeing the name without 'West' on the end, so it completely went over the top of my head.
(07 Jan 2014, 5:15 pm)Dan wrote Oh, of course. It looks so odd seeing the name without 'West' on the end, so it completely went over the top of my head.

Yeah, that's the one I meant. Not sure if people are aware the X36 serves Southwick etc, so could be an idea.
(07 Jan 2014, 5:01 pm)Dan wrote I agree.

I must say that I highly doubt a service would be withdrawn or see continuous changes if it was massively profitable. The fact that there have been so many changes to the X3 shows to me that there is little demand service for the service, or that it is not making profits as it should be.

In my opinion, the only reason why the X3 has remained (in the form which will take place later this month) will be down to local councillors in the affected areas. They have seemingly found reason to complain each and every time the services have been consulted in the past.

Yes, I think that sounds quite logical.

Difference obviously being that one is a commercial service, and the other is operated via a partnership...
Go North East have complete control with the X3, and if it ain't making money, there's no reason to keep it - whether it's Dot, Pat or Margaret's local bus or not.

All in all, I agree.

X3 - Overall, I think Go North East are trying to prove to local councillors that the service is not commercially viable. We're at what I would say was a peak time now, and the X3 I've just seen not so long ago was allocated a Vyking - with what looked like two passengers on board (both of which did appear to be fare payers). They've tried to operate it as cheaply as possible (omitting Eldon Square and Park Lane), with as low a PVR as possible too.

X36 - I doubt the X36 will ever be a local service. It can hardly compete against Stagecoach's streamlined ten minute frequency services, and will only ever pick up the people who are meeting further Go North East connections. Also, New Bridge Street? I can't think of one existing on the X36's route... There's a North Bridge Street in Sunderland, but the X36 does stop here (as shown here.

9 - I'm a little disappointed that the service is not branded, but this makes sense if the service is in line to be allocated B10BLE vehicles (it has been an aim to phase branding from these vehicles, not add more).

29 - I'm always in two minds whether I actually like cross-city services (Stagecoach standard) or not. There is the huge issue of disruption at one end of the route and passengers at the other end suffering as a result, but a lot of new links are created this way. With a Solar allocation rather than Vyking or SPD, I do hope reliability will improve though.

39 - While I would have liked to see a ten minute frequency to compete with the competition across the entire route, I do think it was perhaps a bit steep for so much of an upgrade at once (vehicle type and frequency). Glad to see that Go North East know there is a demand between those two points for that ten minute frequency and it has been retained as such. I've always disliked the short runs, as I do with all services. I feel it can often be quite confusing to the passenger, and many end up asking if it's the right bus or not - "Do you go up Pennywell or are you just going to the town?" I imagine will be a common question asked, despite there being a destination on the front of the bus.

That should tell you immediately that the service is not performing as it should be.

Serious question to anyone that knows the answer (I don't know the answer myself, so I'm not asking to be dickish), does it appear that the PVR of Deptford and Percy Main have remained the same, increased or decreased?

It appears Percy's will increase by three, and not sure about Deptford. Probably about the same, as the X36 will be four, 29 about 7 (?).
After coming back from uni and having a proper look at the new timetables, the changes don't see bad, the 29 timetable is yet to be uploaded - (we know its evry 20 mins) but i think people want to know its route on a morning and evening/Sunday..

Only change and people have already talked about it.. is the X3... its a odd service, don't see the point in it.

X36 moves to Stand T

29 - no timetable but my Guess - its current Stand with the 135/136/29A being stand V along with the 700.

99A hasn't got a stand on its timetable, could be anywhere.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(07 Jan 2014, 5:21 pm)Tom wrote It appears Percy's will increase by three, and not sure about Deptford. Probably about the same, as the X36 will be four, 29 about 7 (?).

Percy Main's should be unchanged - the short 9s won't be interworking with the long ones looking at the timetable.

As for PVR, X35/X36 will be interworking, PVR of 11 (Going on timetable, X35/X36 round trip will be 5hr 8mins including the 8 minutes turn-round off X35 onto X36 and the 5 minutes on X36 in Eldon Square). The short 9s will be 2.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(07 Jan 2014, 6:41 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote Information on new depot: State of the art bus wash installed but they forgot to put any drainage in so when they tested it the pits got flooded. Lol, made me laugh when I first heard it

Thats actually quite funny
(07 Jan 2014, 6:41 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote Information on new depot: State of the art bus wash installed but they forgot to put any drainage in so when they tested it the pits got flooded. Lol, made me laugh when I first heard it

Wrong - Please get facts right before you post on a public forum Tongue
(07 Jan 2014, 7:10 pm)citaro5284 wrote Wrong - Please get facts right before you post on a public forum Tongue

Looks like that leak was a washout then. Wink
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Banned
(07 Jan 2014, 7:27 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote It did, one of the Winlaton and Gateshead drives said it.

Have to say I heard that today from a colleague at the council planning department
(07 Jan 2014, 5:32 pm)Kuyoyo wrote As for PVR, X35/X36 will be interworking, PVR of 11 (Going on timetable, X35/X36 round trip will be 5hr 8mins including the 8 minutes turn-round off X35 onto X36 and the 5 minutes on X36 in Eldon Square). The short 9s will be 2.

the x35/x36 cant interwork if you look again the x36 departs sunderland 8 minuets before the x35 arrives in sunderland