You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - February 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
Out of interest, does any of the GNE reps know if there has ever been any thought of starting more services in the Northumberland area, as these would be well welcomed due to the dreadful service provided by Arriva. Whenever I go to Alnwick, the X15 is always at least 30 minutes late, and the X18 even more!
From my bash today:

5334 Haymarket to North Shields (0842 ex Haymarket) - 310
5334 North Shields to Battle Hill (0937 ex N. Shields) - 310
5337 Battle Hill to Heworth (1007 @ Battle Hill) - 58
5367 (BEAST) Heworth to Concord (1126 ex Heworth) - 4
6087 Concord to Sunderland Park Lane Interchange (1144 @ Concord)
4837 Sunderland Park Lane Interchange to Stanley Bus Station (1252 ex Sunderland) - 8
5285 Stanley Bus Station - Metrocentre (1425 @ Stanley) - 44
5282 Metrocentre - Blaydon (1519 @ Metrocentre) - 49B
3941 Blaydon - Eldon Square (1609 @ Blaydon) - 10B

Really enjoyed today; thanks for fozzovmurton for the company up to Sunderland.

Sean
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(08 Feb 2014, 6:58 pm)Tom wrote Out of interest, does any of the GNE reps know if there has ever been any thought of starting more services in the Northumberland area, as these would be well welcomed due to the dreadful service provided by Arriva. Whenever I go to Alnwick, the X15 is always at least 30 minutes late, and the X18 even more!

Wasn't the 'deal' whereby GNE swapped routes with Arriva supposed to end 'competition'?

Arriva and Go North East secret bus routes deal exposed

Acquisition by Arriva Northumbria Limited of the bus operations of Go North East Limited in Ashington
(08 Feb 2014, 7:28 pm)G-CPTN wrote Wasn't the 'deal' whereby GNE swapped routes with Arriva supposed to end 'competition'?

Acquisition by Arriva Northumbria Limited of the bus operations of Go North East Limited in Ashington

Suppose so, but a express service from Newcastle to Alnwick (via Gosforth, Regent Centre, Brunton Lane, Stannington, Morpeth then non-stop) would be good. Possibly add a ''unique'' section of the route to it that the X15 doesn't serve, but god knows what that could be!
Site Administrator
Major delays to the 56 - waited an hour at Concord and one turned up with nobody on board.

Many thanks to the Saltmeadows driver who tried to help me, and to the Deptford driver who shouted "NO" when I asked him if he could get in control because two old women had been waiting an hour: You're a cunt.
(08 Feb 2014, 3:54 pm)andreos1 wrote I was thinking along those lines, but then thought about the problems at Teams, Redheugh and then getting stuck on Askew Road (there's been many a time stuck on an x66 Prestige going via Bensham from Teams) compared to scooting along the river and getting stuck at Oakwellgate.

Maybe another Top Gear challenge for busman101 to try out!

As busman101 was engaged in some high octane dodgem action at the Metrocentre last night, its possibly not a good idea to touch a bus steering wheel for a while ! I just wanted a cash tray fitting to the dodgem to lean on & go proper Stagecoach driver-stylee.

Anyway, Centrelink should always be the quickest way for the X66, so it's going to be single decks, one suspects
(08 Feb 2014, 8:04 pm)Dan wrote Major delays to the 56 - waited an hour at Concord and one turned up with nobody on board.

Many thanks to the Saltmeadows driver who tried to help me, and to the Deptford driver who shouted "NO" when I asked him if he could get in control because two old women had been waiting an hour: You're a cunt.

Dan you think that is Bad - Read This

I had worse on the 4 Today, Waited 20 Minutes at The Galleries, Got on the 4, sat there 10 Minutes without Moving, due the Driver taking ages in Letting People on, He then Turfed 2 Passengers with Pushchairs as there was already a Wheelchair onboard and a OAP with a Zimaframe who Refused to Move, Saying she had Rights to sit There.

The second Passenger with a Pushchair then Argued with the Driver for 5 Minutes, Further holding up the Queue of Passengers waiting to get on, Same Pushchair Arguement happened again with a 3rd Passenger at Concord, who could got on the M2 Behind, Then at the Second Bus Stop up from Heworth Golf Course.

The Wheelchair Passenger got off, But the Driver Stopped the Bus so the Passenger could not get off the Ramp onto the Pavement as the Bus Shelter was in the Way, So he had then turn sideways on the Ramp to get off, in which he needed help in doing so, And the Driver refused to help him due to Health and Safety.

So I then got off and Pushed and Helped the Wheel Chair Passenger, Then once we Eventually got to Heworth, I opted to then Read the Riot Act to Driver at how Disgraceful his Behaviour and Customer Service was, In which he told me to Piss Off.

So a Journey from Washington Galleries to Heworth which supposed to take around 20-25 Minutes, Took 45 Minutes.
Site Administrator
I was affected by the delay of the 4 too - stood around at Heworth for 20 minutes.

So about an hour and a half spent in sub zero temperatures.

I pity the lad who didn't have a jacket, and also pity the two old women at the stop who were confused as hell. Probably missed the time slot for their meds, the lot.

One hell of an angry e-mail being sent tomorrow...if I can get out of bed. The way I feel at the moment, it will be the last time I leave the house!
(08 Feb 2014, 8:34 pm)Dan wrote I was affected by the delay of the 4 too - stood around at Heworth for 20 minutes.

I pity the lad who didn't have a jacket, and also pity the two old women at the stop who were confused as hell. Probably missed the time slot for their meds, the lot.

One hell of an angry e-mail being sent tomorrow...if I can get out of bed. The way I feel at the moment, it will be the last time I leave the house!

Doesn't sound too good for the office people tomorrow then Tongue
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East - Latest
(08 Feb 2014, 1:09 pm)Dan wrote The way the TEN goes is not where the low bridge is.

The TEN goes over the Swing Bridge whereas the X66 goes up towards Gateshead.

Talking of Low Bridges and Deckers, whatever happened to the bus that was turned in an open top at Percy Main a while back?
(08 Feb 2014, 8:34 pm)Dan wrote I was affected by the delay of the 4 too - stood around at Heworth for 20 minutes.

Sshhh, Citaro will think you are obsessed with the company and use any opportunity you can to have a pop at GNE, like me, Greg and everyone else (probably) Wink

(08 Feb 2014, 8:13 pm)busman101 wrote As busman101 was engaged in some high octane dodgem action at the Metrocentre last night, its possibly not a good idea to touch a bus steering wheel for a while ! I just wanted a cash tray fitting to the dodgem to lean on & go proper Stagecoach driver-stylee.

Anyway, Centrelink should always be the quickest way for the X66, so it's going to be single decks, one suspects

The single deckers probably help with speedy boarding/alighting too.

I think we all agree the x66 will remain single deck operation, the conversation was about why deckers couldn't use Centrelink - when, in theory they can.

High octave dodgem action?
The mind boggles!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Marxista Fozzski
(08 Feb 2014, 7:28 pm)G-CPTN wrote Wasn't the 'deal' whereby GNE swapped routes with Arriva supposed to end 'competition'?

A deal that was thrashed out in the 19th hole on some golf course of my mate is to be believed, I wouldn't actually over surprised if the deal was decided on the Golf Course, A game of cards or spin of a coin...

Chances of that are virtually nil, but amused me at the time...I am easily amused lol
(08 Feb 2014, 8:52 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Talking of Low Bridges and Deckers, whatever happened to the bus that was turned in an open top at Percy Main a while back?

3870... it was repaired. See it here in one of Dan's photos.
(08 Feb 2014, 8:52 pm)andreos1 wrote Sshhh, Citaro will think you are obsessed with the company and use any opportunity you can to have a pop at GNE, like me, Greg and everyone else (probably) Wink

If you are going to discuss me I would appreciate it if you got the name right.
Marxista Fozzski
(08 Feb 2014, 8:04 pm)Dan wrote Major delays to the 56 - waited an hour at Concord and one turned up with nobody on board.

Many thanks to the Saltmeadows driver who tried to help me, and to the Deptford driver who shouted "NO" when I asked him if he could get in control because two old women had been waiting an hour: You're a Cunt.

Must be bad if you have to use language like that, the worst swear word of them, but I would be thinking the same

(08 Feb 2014, 8:25 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Dan you think that is Bad - Read This

I had worse on the 4 Today, Waited 20 Minutes at The Galleries, Got on the 4, sat there 10 Minutes without Moving, due the Driver taking ages in Letting People on, He then Turfed 2 Passengers with Pushchairs as there was already a Wheelchair onboard and a OAP with a Zimaframe who Refused to Move, Saying she had Rights to sit There.

The second Passenger with a Pushchair then Argued with the Driver for 5 Minutes, Further holding up the Queue of Passengers waiting to get on, Same Pushchair Arguement happened again with a 3rd Passenger at Concord, who could got on the M2 Behind, Then at the Second Bus Stop up from Heworth Golf Course.

The Wheelchair Passenger got off, But the Driver Stopped the Bus so the Passenger could not get off the Ramp onto the Pavement as the Bus Shelter was in the Way, So he had then turn sideways on the Ramp to get off, in which he needed help in doing so, And the Driver refused to help him due to Health and Safety.

So I then got off and Pushed and Helped the Wheel Chair Passenger, Then once we Eventually got to Heworth, I opted to then Read the Riot Act to Driver at how Disgraceful his Behaviour and Customer Service was, In which he told me to Piss Off.

So a Journey from Washington Galleries to Heworth which supposed to take around 20-25 Minutes, Took 45 Minutes.

Thats twattish kicking people off a bus, technically the old woman with the Zimmer is within there right, seats at the front are for the elderly as well, but surely it would not hurt to move one back.

Good on you Detective Malarkey for saying something to the driver and well done for helping a fellow passengerin a wheelchair, whether the driver is in breach of Health and Safety by helping a wheelchair or not is irrelevant, It is common sense and courteous...

Telling you to piss off is uncalled for, I would be writing a nice letter to customer services about it

I dont envy being customer services with you and our resident dectective being a bad mood over the lack of customer service Big Grin

Shocking. Another example of a disgruntled employee thinking that the world owes them something. I really wish the bus industry as a whole would deal with the issue of driving staff morale.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Walking to get 18:08 50 yesterday at shields yesterday walked round corner from subway that was 18:05 seen 50 go past didn't leave the stop it should think they should leave the stop on time r 1 minute before going to put a compalint in about these bus drivers and there attitude is crap
(08 Feb 2014, 9:07 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Thats twattish kicking people off a bus, technically the old woman with the Zimmer is within there right, seats at the front are for the elderly as well, but surely it would not hurt to move one back.

Good on you Detective Malarkey for saying something to the driver and well done for helping a fellow passenger
in a wheelchair, whether the driver is in breach of Health and Safety by helping a wheelchair or not is irrelevant, It is common sense and courteous...

Yeah unfortunately that's true. The ideal solution would be to do what London do, and like the ex-London President's are configured, i.e. without any seats in the wheelchair/buggy bays. It discourages people from using them who don't need to.

Good on Adam as well. It's pathetic the way Health and Safety is always used as an excuse, despite those using it never being able to point you to the particular piece of legislation that they're referring to. The key to Health and Safety is identifying and preventing risks or hazards prior to them occurring. That being said, a wheel chair user trying to alight without a ramp and assistance is surely a bigger hazard than assisting them. Or even better - move the bus a few feet.
Marxista Fozzski
(08 Feb 2014, 9:22 pm)aureolin wrote Yeah unfortunately that's true. The ideal solution would be to do what London do, and like the ex-London President's are configured, i.e. without any seats in the wheelchair/buggy bays. It discourages people from using them who don't need to.

Good on Adam as well. It's pathetic the way Health and Safety is always used as an excuse, despite those using it never being able to point you to the particular piece of legislation that they're referring to. The key to Health and Safety is identifying and preventing risks or hazards prior to them occurring. That being said, a wheel chair user trying to alight without a ramp and assistance is surely a bigger hazard than assisting them. Or even better - move the bus a few feet.

Precisely mate, the chair user could fall out the chair or anything, it is just common sense and health and safety as you say is used as an excuse all too much...

As my mate used to tell me, bus driving is a thankless job, and some drivers attitude will ultimately end up with a lot of lads being tarred with the same brush, and would also say 'No matter how pissed off you maybe with someone or something, just smile through gritted teeth, it does not take much, even if you don't like somebody say hi, say bye, say thank you, as that way your not lowering yourself to the level of an arse'

Some drivers just dont get it, the kind of people who twist on 21, moan for moaning sake, and have a face like a smacked arse Big Grin
Drivers view: last sunday, match day 3 passengers who'd gone out to drown their sorrows tried to use the magpie mover, i simply told them the rules of how long these passes were valid & charged the correct fare, i was branded " a f**king w*nker, a thieving jobswoth & a pr*ck", now this was within 5 mins of leaving eldon sq & i only had 8 on. Now on a typical weekday morning i welcome in excess of 150 passengers on 2 runs into newcastle, a simple morning passes my lips as those mainly pass holders get on and i can say only 10% of those will make eye contact or say morning back to me, and when the 9.30am barrier lifts and the freebies begin well lets say the conc D holders are the most ungrateful passengers i've ever met, so maybe no wonder drivers attitude is brought up in many complaints because what we have to put up with on a daily basis.
(08 Feb 2014, 9:22 pm)speedwheels22 wrote Walking to get 18:08 50 yesterday at shields yesterday walked round corner from subway that was 18:05 seen 50 go past didn't leave the stop it should think they should leave the stop on time r 1 minute before going to put a compalint in about these bus drivers and there attitude is crap

When u get on a bus do u check your watch against the clock on the vehicle?, we leave by the ticket machine not the customers watch!!
(08 Feb 2014, 9:22 pm)aureolin wrote Yeah unfortunately that's true. The ideal solution would be to do what London do, and like the ex-London President's are configured, i.e. without any seats in the wheelchair/buggy bays. It discourages people from using them who don't need to.

In my eyes the Driver is to Blame for the Health and Safety Hazard that occurred Today in the First Place, as he Stopped right in front of the Bus Shelter, Knowing once he got of his Cab and pulled the Ramp Out, That the Wheelchair wouldn't be able to get off the Ramp due to the Plated Glass part of the Bus Shelter being in the Way, with it being one of those New Shelters as well. He should of simply folded the ramp back up and moved the Bus a few Feet before allowing the Wheelchair Passenger off, Then the problem he caused would have been easily solved, but then again he should of moved the Bus a few more Feet before even getting the Ramp Out. What if when the Wheelchair Passenger was turning the Wheelchair to get off side ways, had tipped over on the Ramp, The wheel Passenger would ended up going Head First through the Bus Shelter window. Just complete Laziness and Lack of Customer Care, could argue that he should be Sacked for what he did also.
(08 Feb 2014, 9:39 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote In my eyes the Driver is to Blame for the Health and Safety Hazard that occurred Today in the First Place, as he Stopped right in front of the Bus Shelter, Knowing once he got of his Cab and pulled the Ramp Out, That the Wheelchair wouldn't be able to get off the Ramp due to the Plated Glass part of the Bus Shelter being in the Way, with it being one of those New Shelters as well. He should of simply folded the ramp back up and moved the Bus a few Feet before allowing the Wheelchair Passenger off, Then the problem he caused would have been easily solved, but then again he should of moved the Bus a few more Feet before even getting the Ramp Out. What if when the Wheelchair Passenger was turning the Wheelchair to get off side ways, had tipped over on the Ramp, The wheel Passenger would ended up going Head First through the Bus Shelter window. Just complete Laziness and Lack of Customer Care, could argue that he should be Sacked for what he did also.

Wouldn't like anybody being sacked but a day at riverside on disability awareness is in desperate need for this driver.
(08 Feb 2014, 9:36 pm)nk55 wrote Drivers view: last sunday, match day 3 passengers who'd gone out to drown their sorrows tried to use the magpie mover, i simply told them the rules of how long these passes were valid & charged the correct fare, i was branded " a f**king w*nker, a thieving jobswoth & a pr*ck", now this was within 5 mins of leaving eldon sq & i only had 8 on. Now on a typical weekday morning i welcome in excess of 150 passengers on 2 runs into newcastle, a simple morning passes my lips as those mainly pass holders get on and i can say only 10% of those will make eye contact or say morning back to me, and when the 9.30am barrier lifts and the freebies begin well lets say the conc D holders are the most ungrateful passengers i've ever met, so maybe no wonder drivers attitude is brought up in many complaints because what we have to put up with on a daily basis.
To be fair, the horrible shifts that change constantly wouldn't make me too happy if I was a driver. That said, it doesn't take much to break out a smile once in a while.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Marxista Fozzski
(08 Feb 2014, 9:36 pm)nk55 wrote Drivers view: last sunday, match day 3 passengers who'd gone out to drown their sorrows tried to use the magpie mover, i simply told them the rules of how long these passes were valid & charged the correct fare, i was branded " a f**king w*nker, a thieving jobswoth & a pr*ck", now this was within 5 mins of leaving eldon sq & i only had 8 on. Now on a typical weekday morning i welcome in excess of 150 passengers on 2 runs into newcastle, a simple morning passes my lips as those mainly pass holders get on and i can say only 10% of those will make eye contact or say morning back to me, and when the 9.30am barrier lifts and the freebies begin well lets say the conc D holders are the most ungrateful passengers i've ever met, so maybe no wonder drivers attitude is brought up in many complaints because what we have to put up with on a daily basis.

I agree with you mate, there is always a minority of wankstains, and I can see why a driver would have a short fuse sometimes and be stroppy, I used to get like that working at the Stadium of Light having to deal with pissed football fans who can be a bunch of wankers without making the effort...

As for pass holders, dont tar us all with the same brush Tongue we aint all bad, I will always speak to the driver 'say hi, say bye, say thank you' it is just common courtesy, some people are just ignorant though...

The thing with bus driving is it is thankless, we rarely hear the good things drivers do, but step out of line and by god you will know about it, I have always had the thing of taken time to write to the company if they do something to please me, and I know of at least 2 drivers who recieved commendations for me a good turn

That's customer service for you. You're always going to get customers like that, but under no circumstances should a bad experience from one customer be handed down to the next customer. As an example, I wouldn't expect to get a mouthful of abuse calling a call centre, just because the call centre worker had a bad call previously.
Marxista Fozzski
(08 Feb 2014, 9:52 pm)aureolin wrote That's customer service for you. You're always going to get customers like that, but under no circumstances should a bad experience from one customer be handed down to the next customer. As an example, I wouldn't expect to get a mouthful of abuse calling a call centre, just because the call centre worker had a bad call previously.

Off topic a bit, my sister gets shit loads of grief in her job on the phones, she works for everybodies friend, the good old taxman Wink