Menu

Pages (47)    115 16 1747   
DeltaMan   13 Oct 2023, 3:29 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 3:25 pm)idiot wrote Just had an email from GNE about the strike... Two sides to every story, be interesting to hear union reps side of it.

The Unite website has the union side on a news article. For some reason it doesnt mention the counter offer they allegedly made.
Ambassador   13 Oct 2023, 4:36 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 2:59 pm)Thomas12 wrote Seen this on Facebook, embarrassing

It’s lovely they’re allowing work experience from 6th form to write these things though. 

The tone is so condescending and poor, do they actually have internal communication resource? On a serious note, as a senior HR and Engagement Manager, it genuinely worries me that a grown paid manager thought that was appropriate

Wistfully stuck in the 90s
ASX_Terranova   13 Oct 2023, 4:49 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 3:11 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Surely at this point, DCC and Nexus could legitimately consider them to be unable to deliver their secured services. I would encourage anyone reliant on those to make a lot of noise.

Should I email the Nexus Customer Relations Team about the 81/82/83 then?

Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
BusLoverMum   13 Oct 2023, 4:56 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 4:49 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Should I email the Nexus Customer Relations Team about the 81/82/83 then?

You absolutely should and encourage neighbours who also rely on those buses to do the same.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
stagecoachbusdepot   13 Oct 2023, 5:10 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 2:59 pm)Thomas12 wrote Seen this on Facebook, embarrassing

Was this written by a child?  Or maybe Donald Trump ... who else talks like that "we made a big attempt" and "there was a BIG breakthrough"... I can almost picture the weird Trumpian hand gesture going with it. 

I don't particularly take one side or the other in the debate on strikes (often the union demands seem unrealistically OTT) but there should be basic standards for a supposedly professional employer to communicate with it's employees and this just reads like a sulky teenager having a rant "it means that you're out" - I suspect they realise that!

Presume at some point they are going to start heamorrhaging more staff to SNE/ANE/GCT etc if there is an indefinite strike (not sure whether anything prevents a striking employee change employer while partaking in industrial action - presumably not?)
itsadam   13 Oct 2023, 5:22 pm
We're getting told one thing from Unite and another by GNE. It's another PR disaster in the making and another week of mayhem. It's just unfortunate how different operators dominate certain areas in the region, but complaining isn't going to make matters any better though, is it? Seriously.
Ambassador   13 Oct 2023, 5:36 pm
I’d be less concerned about the PR and more how abjectly badly they handle internal communications

cbma06   13 Oct 2023, 5:37 pm
From the last time northern was on strike in the early 90’s , how long was the strike on for before independent operators etc stepped in to cover northern routes until northern restarted there routes again, does it have to be a continuously for a few weeks or months?, even though most independent operators mostly all gone now and stagecoach and Arriva can’t even cover there own commercial routes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Bazza   13 Oct 2023, 5:49 pm
I seem to recall that when there was industrial unrest in one of the southern companies (maybe even London) they sounded out GNE drivers to go and cover services down there.

Nothing came of it. I wonder if they would contemplate this
Ambassador   13 Oct 2023, 5:53 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 5:37 pm)cbma06 wrote From the last time northern was on strike in the early 90’s , how long was the strike on for before independent operators etc stepped in to cover northern routes until northern restarted there routes again, does it have to be a continuously for a few weeks or months?, even though most independent operators mostly all gone now and stagecoach and Arriva can’t even cover there own commercial routes

Do the independents have the fleet or drivers these days? 

You could draft in drivers from other areas but again, they’re likely to be not cheap and again, the rest of the network is likely struggling for drivers.

Unless those Gran Tourismo tribute acts that drove the metro replacements are available

DeltaMan   13 Oct 2023, 5:54 pm
"Unite are literally rejecting a deal they themselves proposed" Ben is quoted on the Chronicle website.

If that is true then I'd literally throw my computer out the window, nevermind issue a uniquely worded staff briefing.
tynesider   13 Oct 2023, 6:22 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 5:53 pm)Ambassador wrote Unless those Gran Tourismo tribute acts that drove the metro replacements are available

Genuinely the only time I've ever felt the need to call the police over a concern for a driver's fitness for duty!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   13 Oct 2023, 6:22 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 5:37 pm)cbma06 wrote From the last time northern was on strike in the early 90’s , how long was the strike on for before independent operators etc stepped in to cover northern routes until northern restarted there routes again, does it have to be a continuously for a few weeks or months?, even though most independent operators mostly all gone now and stagecoach and Arriva can’t even cover there own commercial routes

Guessing they would need to be registered with the TC and follow standard procedures with them.

(13 Oct 2023, 5:54 pm)DeltaMan wrote "Unite are literally rejecting a deal they themselves proposed" Ben is quoted on the Chronicle website.

If that is true then I'd literally throw my computer out the window, nevermind issue a uniquely worded staff briefing.

But to play this out in public like he is... 

Quite easily proven should the minutes and emails be leaked.
Quite easily disproven too mind.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Rapidsnap   13 Oct 2023, 8:28 pm
Unlike the Go North West strikes where they drafted in coach operators who were still recovering from Covid and had plenty of drivers and vehicles spare at the time, the only alternative probably it to hire a load of agency drivers (like they did for Metro Replacements), however that could also cause issues down the line with buses getting lost, and you going to end up with one getting stuck under one of the many low bridges in the area (probably the one near the Metrocentre). Either way it's not looking good for either party (GNE or Unite) as they are just blaming each other whilst the drivers are stuck in the middle getting abuse and unsure on what's happening next.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Storx   13 Oct 2023, 8:38 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 8:28 pm)Rapidsnap wrote Unlike the Go North West strikes where they drafted in coach operators who were still recovering from Covid and had plenty of drivers and vehicles spare at the time, the only alternative probably it to hire a load of agency drivers (like they did for Metro Replacements), however that could also cause issues down the line with buses getting lost, and you going to end up with one getting stuck under one of the many low bridges in the area (probably the one near the Metrocentre). Either way it's not looking good for either party (GNE or Unite) as they are just blaming each other whilst the drivers are stuck in the middle getting abuse and unsure on what's happening next.

The big difference between GNW and GNE is the GNW was a driver's strike, as far as I'm aware this is everything from drivers to the office staff.

If you had numerous routes in service, it won't be long before they run out of vehicles. They're not exactly the most reliable things anyway.
Ambassador   13 Oct 2023, 9:03 pm
Gateshead Council have posted a list of school bus routes that will not operate next week

We have now been informed that the following scholars bus services will not run during the strike:
836 service - 14:40hrs Thorp Academy, Ryton
841 service - 15:45hrs (15:10hrs on a Friday) St Thomas More, Blaydon
891 service - (15:10hrs Friday) St Thomas More, Blaydon
882 service - 07:50hrs to Cardinal Hume
880 service - 15:25hrs Cardinal Hume
878 service - 15:30hrs (15:00hrs Friday) Cardinal Hume
873 service - 15:30hrs Lord Lawson of Beamish
855 service - 14:40hrs (Friday) Grace College

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
MurdnunoC   13 Oct 2023, 9:08 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 9:03 pm)Ambassador wrote Gateshead Council have posted a list of school bus routes that will not operate next week

Sneaky, so kids can get to school but can't get back.

If I were still at school, and always up for a day-off,  I'd consider that as being very unsporting indeed.
Adrian   13 Oct 2023, 9:22 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 8:28 pm)Rapidsnap wrote Unlike the Go North West strikes where they drafted in coach operators who were still recovering from Covid and had plenty of drivers and vehicles spare at the time, the only alternative probably it to hire a load of agency drivers (like they did for Metro Replacements), however that could also cause issues down the line with buses getting lost, and you going to end up with one getting stuck under one of the many low bridges in the area (probably the one near the Metrocentre). Either way it's not looking good for either party (GNE or Unite) as they are just blaming each other whilst the drivers are stuck in the middle getting abuse and unsure on what's happening next.

The GNW strike was also at a time when operators were receiving plenty of government subsidies, not to mention ENCTS reimbursement at 2019 levels (rather than actuals)

There's none of that with this GNE strike. They're being hit in the pocket, won't be able to claim actuals on ENCTS, issuing refunds to their own customers, and likely a loss of income through contract work they're unable to fulfil.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian   13 Oct 2023, 9:27 pm
(13 Oct 2023, 4:36 pm)Ambassador wrote It’s lovely they’re allowing work experience from 6th form to write these things though. 

The tone is so condescending and poor, do they actually have internal communication resource? On a serious note, as a senior HR and Engagement Manager, it genuinely worries me that a grown paid manager thought that was appropriate

I've never seen anything like it, despite all my experience as a rep. As you say, its so condescending. I am really not surprised they're making little progress if this is the company attitude.

From what Ben puts out/is told to put out, to the propaganda department freelancers on local resident groups, it's little surprise that we are where we are.

Ambassador   13 Oct 2023, 10:37 pm
I’ve seen GNEs internal comms on a few sites now, some I’d consider very centre right to right wing and the rest pretty centrist to left. So the whole spectrum, it’s even appeared on LinkedIn on how not to manage crisis comms.

Every single site contributor has criticised the statement as unprofessional and appalling. Less PG words also used!

My HR hat on, I remain…agahst. GNE knew this would be leaked, what was the end game? The management look out of touch and incapable of handling basic colleague communications. The Union just ride the wave but…I just can’t understand who authorised this.

People are at the heart of any organisation and culture is absolutely key, it’s at its best when people don’t even notice it, it’s clearly not the case at GNE unless you are one of the chosen few. Hell you can even pretend to care a little

I’d be sacked if I put that statement out and I’d sack anyone who did as well. Would these people survive in any other industry?

And the continuing Facebook and Twitter in jokes and posts on various sites…there’s no management or control. It’s us vs them.

I’m off to pour a large wine and thank the Lord I work in an industry led by grown ups and professionals and not whatever is updating displays or popping out nonsense that like in memos

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Aaron21   14 Oct 2023, 8:23 am
The leaked briefing read different to what Ben said on the Website when updated. I can't tell if he at this point now doesn't care and just will give the worst bad names under the sun to Unite and the drivers

Here's what he said

"Quote"
Go North East business director Ben Maxfield said, “Our workforce is beside itself with worry, but instead of a constructive dialogue what we are seeing from the local Unite representatives is moving goal posts, U-turns and knee jerk reactions, with no consideration of the impact on the travelling public”.

He also said, “This dispute and strike are entirely of Unite’s making. All we want is for the local union representatives to work constructively and collaboratively with us to secure the region’s bus services”.

“There is mounting anger within the workforce over Unite’s handling of negotiations and their call for a continuous strike. Unite are literally rejecting a deal they themselves proposed. Wild and unfounded claims by the union of ‘paltry pay offers’, and false claims that the company are ‘not coming to the table’ don’t help”.
deanmachine   14 Oct 2023, 9:49 am
(14 Oct 2023, 8:23 am)Aaron21 wrote The leaked briefing read different to what Ben said on the Website when updated. I can't tell if he at this point now doesn't care and just will give the worst bad names under the sun to Unite and the drivers

Here's what he said

"Quote"
Go North East business director Ben Maxfield said, “Our workforce is beside itself with worry, but instead of a constructive dialogue what we are seeing from the local Unite representatives is moving goal posts, U-turns and knee jerk reactions, with no consideration of the impact on the travelling public”.

He also said, “This dispute and strike are entirely of Unite’s making.  All we want is for the local union representatives to work constructively and collaboratively with us to secure the region’s bus services”.

“There is mounting anger within the workforce over Unite’s handling of negotiations and their call for a continuous strike.  Unite are literally rejecting a deal they themselves proposed.  Wild and unfounded claims by the union of ‘paltry pay offers’, and false claims that the company are ‘not coming to the table’ don’t help”.

He keeps forgetting how big of a mandate Unite has doesn't he? When he's insulting Unite he's insulting a large proportion of the drivers.
Unber43   14 Oct 2023, 9:59 am
So what do Unite/Drivers want now?
Thomas12   14 Oct 2023, 10:12 am
(14 Oct 2023, 9:59 am)Unber43 wrote So what do Unite/Drivers want now?

Despite Ben saying the offer is 'no-strings', I don't think it really is.

Apparently they want to return to discussing the amendment of T&Cs in a couple of months.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Rob44   14 Oct 2023, 10:41 am
a single 335 seems to be running in north tyneside
xpm   14 Oct 2023, 10:41 am
(14 Oct 2023, 10:12 am)Thomas12 wrote Despite Ben saying the offer is 'no-strings', I don't think it really is.

Apparently they want to return to discussing the amendment of T&Cs in a couple of months.

Exactly that.  They are trying to say they will discuss on depot by depot basis - basically to try to incite infighting and divisions amongst staff, and go back to the dark ages where some depots are paid more and some less and have different terms and conditions on what they do and don’t get paid for. 

It’s clear it’s not all about money anymore, directly at least, it’s still gne trying to get drivers to fund their own pay rise by takeaways, and the union has rightly (hopefully) told them exactly where to shove it.  Union comms could be a bit more direct on this though.
deanmachine   14 Oct 2023, 10:46 am
(14 Oct 2023, 9:59 am)Unber43 wrote So what do Unite/Drivers want now?

We haven't changed what we asked for.
Driver9***   14 Oct 2023, 4:02 pm
I've read on another forum that one of the conditions for the pay deal is not paying the drivers for time driven "out of service" first thing in the morning and late at night, is that true?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unber43   14 Oct 2023, 4:48 pm
Drivers will not accept that some of the longest dead run time is upto 70 mins (late X10's on football nights)

X21 from/to West Aukland
20 from/to Langley Park
21 from/to Brandon/Durham
6 to/from Metrocentre
1 to/from Metrocentre
Adrian   14 Oct 2023, 4:53 pm
(14 Oct 2023, 4:48 pm)Unber43 wrote Drivers will not accept that some of the longest dead run time is upto 70 mins (late X10's on football nights)

X21 from/to West Aukland
20 from/to Langley Park
21 from/to Brandon/Durham
6 to/from Metrocentre
1 to/from Metrocentre
And if this is indeed the case, nor should they.

If they're driving a company vehicle, then it's work and should be paid. Regardless of whether it's in service or not.

Pages (47)    115 16 1747