You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015
(27 Aug 2015, 9:53 am)Cock Robin wrote Probably a lookalike!
Just hope it's better than some bloke from TOWIE which they got for the 22/24 launches. Some may have seen the appeal of him but I didn't as I don't watch stuff like that.
With GNE having the B8RLE and Streetdeck on demonstration currently, the ADL E400MMC recently, and the B5TL last year, will ANE trial any of these vehicles before their next round of orders?

I can't actually remember the last demonstrator I've seen working for ANE, and although there are various demonstrators with Arriva in other regions, surely the North East should get one at some point, no way of knowing if buses are suitable for our routes if not?
(27 Aug 2015, 1:31 pm)mb134 wrote With GNE having the B8RLE and Streetdeck on demonstration currently, the ADL E400MMC recently, and the B5TL last year, will ANE trial any of these vehicles before their next round of orders?

I can't actually remember the last demonstrator I've seen working for ANE, and although there are various demonstrators with Arriva in other regions, surely the North East should get one at some point, no way of knowing if buses are suitable for our routes if not?

It was Versa YD63 UZN back in late 2013
(27 Aug 2015, 1:35 pm)Kuyoyo wrote It was Versa YD63 UZN back in late 2013

Didn't have a clue that came, even so, that's around 2 years ago and what about double decker allocated routes? The last double decker trialled with ANE, if I recall correctly, was the E400 back in 2007? 

E400's bought for the 7 while the B5TL may have coped, as an example, a short period of demonstration may help in the long run.
(27 Aug 2015, 1:43 pm)mb134 wrote Didn't have a clue that came, even so, that's around 2 years ago and what about double decker allocated routes? The last double decker trialled with ANE, if I recall correctly, was the E400 back in 2007? 

E400's bought for the 7 while the B5TL may have coped, as an example, a short period of demonstration may help in the long run.

Don't think we've had many double decker demonstrators, the only one I remember was the hybrid version of the Enviro 400 which was trialled at Darlington depot on the 1/1B Darlington - Crook - Tow Law (1B) in late 2011.
(27 Aug 2015, 1:47 pm)Jimmi wrote Don't think we've had many double decker demonstrators, the only one I remember was the hybrid version of the Enviro 400 which was trialled at Darlington depot on the 1/1B Darlington - Crook - Tow Law (1B) in late 2011.

Couldn't remember that either, haha! But you see my point? 

Demonstrator vehicles are there for a reason, how can ANE know if vehicles are suitable for a route without demonstration, or more importantly, how will they know if another vehicle will do a better job?
(27 Aug 2015, 1:51 pm)R852 PRG wrote Never knew about that Versa demonstrator on the 64, would have tried it out at the time had I realised.
Think that barely saw service, I tried my hardest to ride it and failed miserably and I was still at college two days a week at this point and often got the 64 into Durham.
(27 Aug 2015, 1:52 pm)Jimmi wrote Think that barely saw service, I tried my hardest to ride it and failed miserably and I was still at college two days a week at this point and often got the 64 into Durham.

How long was it on trial out of interest?
(27 Aug 2015, 1:51 pm)R852 PRG wrote Never knew about that Versa demonstrator on the 64, would have tried it out at the time had I realised.

So would I
(27 Aug 2015, 1:50 pm)mb134 wrote Couldn't remember that either, haha! But you see my point? 

Demonstrator vehicles are there for a reason, how can ANE know if vehicles are suitable for a route without demonstration, or more importantly, how will they know if another vehicle will do a better job?
We did have a few over the years although it seemed like they'd only be trialled on one route and wouldn't be around very long. I remember the 723 (now the Sapphire 7) had trialled a Scania Omnicity and a Optare Solo. Also remember another Optare Versa demonstrator at Darlington which I only ever saw a photo of operating the Darlington 5A. It's a shame we don't get many demonstrators in the North East anymore as we have some pretty demanding routes which would be ideal to test their performance capabilities.
(27 Aug 2015, 2:00 pm)Jimmi wrote We did have a few over the years although it seemed like they'd only be trialled on one route and wouldn't be around very long. I remember the 723 (now the Sapphire 7) had trialled a Scania Omnicity and a Optare Solo. Also remember another Optare Versa demonstrator at Darlington which I only ever saw a photo of operating the Darlington 5A. It's a shame we don't get many demonstrators in the North East anymore as we have some pretty demanding routes which would be ideal to test their performance capabilities.

Think my lack of demonstrator knowledge lies in the fact that they've never ventured north of the Tyne then! 

But you hit the nail on the head, the X18, the X93 etc, are very demanding routes, if a bus performs well on those, they'll handle anything. You wouldn't want B9TL operating a city route though, like you wouldn't want a Streetdeck on the X93, which is why I don't agree with Arriva's 'E400 for everything' policy, although I'd prefer E400's everywhere than Streetdeck's everywhere...
We did have an electric Solo on demo in 2014 too, though I don't think it ever went out in service

In other news 4652 and 1434 were swapped back at lunchtime, though 1434 did manage one trip on a 28!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

The 723 trialed a Solo?!!

(27 Aug 2015, 1:51 pm)R852 PRG wrote Never knew about that Versa demonstrator on the 64, would have tried it out at the time had I realised.

But they decided on second hand Enviro 200s!
Site Administrator

Was in service for all of a week at Belmont on the 64 - I remember being quite critical at the time, as I didn't know how it was possible to gather data in such a short period of time.

The ADL Enviro400 MMC Go North East recently had was for around two weeks, and I feel that was too short a period of time too.
(27 Aug 2015, 4:45 pm)Dan wrote Was in service for all of a week at Belmont on the 64 - I remember being quite critical at the time, as I didn't know how it was possible to gather data in such a short period of time.

The ADL Enviro400 MMC Go North East recently had was for around two weeks, and I feel that was too short a period of time too.

Would have loved to see that do what the Streetdeck is now doing, by moving onto the X9/X10 sooner or later. I think it was more a case of the Streetdeck being more favoured in the first place with it's fuel consumption and costs in mind, so they're trying it out on more than one thing to see if it's another suitable upgrade for something else.
(27 Aug 2015, 4:38 pm)Cock Robin wrote The 723 trialed a Solo?!!

Yes, Darlington trialled two Optare Solos at the same time in 2007 I think, one was allover white and was used on the 723, think at this point the 713/723 ran combined every 15 minutes between Darlington and Durham Arnison Centre, may be wrong on that. They also trialled another Solo at the same sort of time which I think they used on Darlington Town Service 21 (not to be confused with the current 21 route).

Sadly I have been unable to find any photos or information of these two Optare Solo demonstrators.
Allocation amendments from next Tuesday:

Darlington
1424/63/5/6 from Durham replacing 1305/12/4 & 1799
1523 returns to Durham

Ashington
7491/2 To Jesmond exchanged for 7445/6 (reason given - due to Nexus Contracts, yet 7445/6 are newer than 7491/2)
1527 on loan from Durham

Blyth
1526/9/30 on loan from Durham
1502/4 for Refurbishment
7605 listed as 'under repair'

Durham
1523 and 1476 regained from Darlington and Stockton respectively, allowing 1424/63 to move to Darlington
1531/2 formally allocated, releasing 1465/6 to Darlington
7453 reinstated from under repair

Redcar
4501 to disposal

Stockton
1476 returns to Durham
1415 retained, replacing 1909 for disposal
(27 Aug 2015, 5:02 pm)Jimmi wrote Yes, Darlington trialled two Optare Solos at the same time in 2007 I think, one was allover white and was used on the 723, think at this point the 713/723 ran combined every 15 minutes between Darlington and Durham Arnison Centre, may be wrong on that. They also trialled another Solo at the same sort of time which I think they used on Darlington Town Service 21 (not to be confused with the current 21 route).

Sadly I have been unable to find any photos or information of these two Optare Solo demonstrators.

Following a quick search of Flickr I can confirm the registration of the one used on the 21 was YJ07 VRP.
(27 Aug 2015, 5:25 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Allocation amendments from next Tuesday:

Ashington
7491/2 To Jesmond exchanged for 7445/6 (reason given - due to Nexus Contracts, yet 7445/6 are newer than 7491/2)
1527 on loan from Durham

Interesting.... 

I haven't travelled on 7445/6 yet, nor my mam (she's a big critic on buses, ALX400s are her most hated bus!). It will be interesting to see what these are like up here. Are these staying here for a while?

Ashington

1527 on loan from Durham

Going to hunt down 7445/6 if I get the chance, never been on either of those!

Darlington
1424/63/5/6 from Durham replacing 1305/12/4 & 1799

So long awful Darts

At least getting them four Pulsar's should hopefully decrease the chances of Frequenta Solos appearing on the 1/5/5A/19 during the daytime at least not sure about the 5A on a night though.
(27 Aug 2015, 5:46 pm)Jimmi wrote So long awful Darts

At least getting them four Pulsar's should hopefully decrease the chances of Frequenta Solos appearing on the 1/5/5A/19 during the daytime at least not sure about the 5A on a night though.

5A becomes Frequenta Solos on a night from the timetable change if I recall what was mentioned here. Interworking with 3/66

Also presently rumours that Blyth are after more Pulsars to replace 1401-3 - we'll have to wait and see where they come from and where 1401-3 end up going.
(27 Aug 2015, 5:47 pm)Kuyoyo wrote 5A becomes Frequenta Solos on a night from the timetable change if I recall what was mentioned here. Interworking with 3/66

Yeah that was mentioned on here, thought Frequenta Solos would become the allocation for the evening 5A considering it interworks with the 3 (and 66) although I have seen a few Frequenta Solos on the evening 5As recently.
(27 Aug 2015, 5:47 pm)Kuyoyo wrote 5A becomes Frequenta Solos on a night from the timetable change if I recall what was mentioned here. Interworking with 3/66

Also presently rumours that Blyth are after more Pulsars to replace 1401-3 - we'll have to wait and see where they come from and where 1401-3 end up going.

Any reason why Blyth want rid of 1401-3?