You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(19 Sep 2013, 3:04 pm)Andreos1 wrote I'm racking my brains.

Easington Lane has a stack of services already and is already linked to Murton and South Hetton (granted South Hetton lost its link to Newcastle a few years ago).

Could it terminate at Hetton or Low Moorsley?
Do a circuit around Eppleton?
Are there parts of Seaham or Dawdon it could go to and terminate at Murton?

Low Moorsley is a great one!

Where is Eppleton, have no idea! Tongue
(19 Sep 2013, 3:08 pm)W179SCU wrote Low Moorsley is a great one!

Where is Eppleton, have no idea! Tongue

When I put Eppleton into Google maps, apparently it is in Munich...

Eppleton is here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Hetton-le-Hole&hl=en&ll=54.824191,-1.448886&spn=0.007009,0.021136&sll=48.132304,11.536274&sspn=0.00812,0.021136&oq=hetton+&t=h&hnear=Hetton-le-Hole,+Tyne+and+Wear,+United+Kingdom&z=16

The square encompassing Caroline Street, Market Street and Regent Street (see Laser timetable for current timings).

At the top of Caroline Street (Downs Pitt Lane), past the lake, you will also see the site where a lot of bus restoration is carried out... It is private property just beyond the lake like.
(19 Sep 2013, 3:39 pm)Andreos1 wrote When I put Eppleton into Google maps, apparently it is in Munich...

Eppleton is here: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Hetton-le-Hole&hl=en&ll=54.824191,-1.448886&spn=0.007009,0.021136&sll=48.132304,11.536274&sspn=0.00812,0.021136&oq=hetton+&t=h&hnear=Hetton-le-Hole,+Tyne+and+Wear,+United+Kingdom&z=16

The square encompassing Caroline Street, Market Street and Regent Street (see Laser timetable for current timings).

At the top of Caroline Street (Downs Pitt Lane), past the lake, you will also see the site where a lot of bus restoration is carried out... It is private property just beyond the lake like.

Oh right! - I think Low Moorsley will be the best, and most popular option. What route do you think it would take going that way (from Murton)?
(19 Sep 2013, 3:57 pm)W179SCU wrote Oh right! - I think Low Moorsley will be the best, and most popular option. What route do you think it would take going that way (from Murton)?

Probs the same as the 265 to be honest from Murton - Hetton - Low Moorsley.
When it gets to Low Moorsley it could possibly do some sort of circular route, rather than go through the estate (like the 35 7 mins between Hetton and Low Moorsley Front Street) or skirt it (like the 265 which takes 5).

If you find the 265 route doesn't give you enough time (or too much), you could send it to Easington Lane traffic lights and then from there, head to Hetton like the X1 does.
(19 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm)Andreos1 wrote Probs the same as the 265 to be honest from Murton - Hetton - Low Moorsley.
When it gets to Low Moorsley it could possibly do some sort of circular route, rather than go through the estate (like the 35 7 mins between Hetton and Low Moorsley Front Street) or skirt it (like the 265 which takes 5).

If you find the 265 route doesn't give you enough time (or too much), you could send it to Easington Lane traffic lights and then from there, head to Hetton like the X1 does.

I'll re-do the timetable, and post it on here when I've finished!
I think the Newcastle-Low Moorsley idea is better:
PVR Full X4 = 3
PVR Short X4 = 1
Total = 4 (3 Northern Presidents, Red Arrows Spare?)

Both the short and full X4 will get ten minutes layover at Newcastle. The full X4 will get 2 minutes layover at Low Moorsley, and the short X4 will get 6 minutes at Washington, works out quite nicely!

Timetable:
Newcastle, Eldon Square: 04, 34
Washington Galleries: 26, 56 (via A1)
Barmston A1231 Slip Rd: 31
Waterview Park: 35
Seaham: 57 (via A19)
Seaham Station Road: 01
Dalton Park: 05 (via Church Lane)
East Moor Estate: 07
Murton Colliery Inn: 09
Murton Station Estate: 15
Hetton-le-Hole 21
Low Moorsley Front St: 28

Low Moorlsey Front St: 30
Hetton-le-Hole 38
Murton Station Estate: 44
Murton Colliery Inn: 50
East Moor Estate: 52
Dalton Park: 54
Seaham Station Road: 58 (via Church Lane)
Seaham: 02
Waterview Park: 24 (via A19)
Barmston A1231 Slip Rd:27
Washington Galleries: 32 02
Newcastle, Eldon Square:54 24
Site Administrator
Following on from discussion in the main Go North East section - thought I would make sure everyone knows suggestions can be placed here.. Wink

Would anyone agree that the Sunderland to Concord section is used less than the Concord to Newcastle section of the 56 service?

How's about a service every 20 minutes between Sunderland and Newcastle, but every 10 between Concord and Newcastle? The short and long 56s would interwork at Newcastle, and would provide a PVR of 12.

If we were to suggest that the 56 was to receive 17 new B9s and the 309/310 was to also receive 17 new B9s, the remaining 5 vehicles for the 56 could be used for an X56 service (feel free to send in your suggestions for this one!) requiring 4 vehicles, while 1 acts as a spare.
Liking the Idea of that X4, and I agree with some of the other comments to for improved links to Dalton Park etc and Xpress Services between these Areas to Newcastle/Sunderland. So here is a few Suggestions of my own.

“Re - Introduction”
X2 – Sunderland – Royal Hospital – Waterview Park – Washington – Wrekenton – Gateshead – Newcastle – Re – Introduction – Every 30 Minutes

8 – Sunderland – Royal Hospital – Penshaw – Washington – Chester le Street – Stanley
Re - Routed heading to Between Washington and Sunderland otherwise Maintains Current Route

X3/X36 – Withdrawn – Service 9 Upgraded to Every 20 Minutes

56 – Reduced to Every 15 Minutes

“New Service”
X56 – Newcastle – Gateshead – Wrekenton – Concord – Waterview Park – Queen Alexandra Bridge – Sunderland – Every 30 Minutes

“New Service”
X61 - Murton - Dalton Park - New Seaham – Seaton – Houghton le Spring – Washington – Heworth – Gateshead – Newcastle – Every 30 Minutes
Site Administrator
The X2 took just over an hour before, if I remember correctly. The X3 is still a more attractive choice.

An express service calling at Sunderland, Concord, Heworth (outside station), Gateshead and Newcastle would take 50 minutes... Perhaps worth considering
Marxista Fozzski

“New Service”
X56 – Newcastle – Gateshead – Wrekenton – Concord – Waterview Park – Queen Alexandra Bridge – Sunderland – Every 30 Minutes

“New Service”

Would the 10 minute frequency be kept between Sunderland and Newcastle
(20 Sep 2013, 6:43 am)Daniel wrote The X2 took just over an hour before, if I remember correctly. The X3 is still a more attractive choice.

An express service calling at Sunderland, Concord, Heworth (outside station), Gateshead and Newcastle would take 50 minutes... Perhaps worth considering

The X2 actually took only 55 minutes from Sunderland to Newcastle.
Initially, the x2 was timed at 55 minutes. But the level of traffic congestion it encountered pushed it over the 60 minute (4 buses) mark, so buses inter worked at eldon square with x1/x3.
Marxista Fozzski
“New Service”
X61 - Murton - Dalton Park - New Seaham – Seaton – Houghton le Spring – Washington – Heworth – Gateshead – Newcastle – Every 30 Minutes

Like it mate, but how about

New X93
Murton-Dalton Park-Ryhope-Doxford Park-Board Inn-Sbiney Row-Washington-MetroCentre
(20 Sep 2013, 8:41 am)JakeSavage wrote Initially, the x2 was timed at 55 minutes. But the level of traffic congestion it encountered pushed it over the 60 minute (4 buses) mark, so buses inter worked at eldon square with x1/x3.

Pretty certain it didn't interwork with the x3 - only because the x3 was worked by whatever stock was left lying about and wasn't operated with Citaros or coaches at that time.

The x1 and x2 were the only Red Arrows branded service for a long time.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Marxista Fozzski
Here is a timetable for a new X4 idea:
Newcastle, Eldon Square: 00, 30
Washington Galleries: 22, 52 (via A1)
Barmston A1231 Slip Rd: 27
Waterview Park: 30
Seaham: [/align] 52 (via A19)
Seaham Station Road: 57
Dalton Park: 01 (via Church Lane)
East Moor Estate: 03
Murton Colliery Inn: 05
Murton Station Estate: 11
Easington Lane Clock: 17
South Hetton: 22

Hmmmm, that sounds interesting, however, would it make any sense to continue it onto Peterlee and run it off the 202
(20 Sep 2013, 11:51 am)fozzovmurton wrote Hmmmm, that sounds interesting, however, would it make any sense to continue it onto Peterlee and run it off the 202

Then the PVR would increase, but only by 1! - Unless the 202 gets scrapped?
(20 Sep 2013, 8:49 am)Andreos1 wrote Pretty certain it didn't interwork with the x3 - only because the x3 was worked by whatever stock was left lying about and wasn't operated with Citaros or coaches at that time.

The x1 and x2 were the only Red Arrows branded service for a long time.

Just had a look at the 2008 Red Arrows timetable and on this it did indeed appear to interwork with the X3. The X3 arrived at Eldon Square at 05 and 35, and the X2 departed at 10 and 40.

Here's the link: http://northeastbuses.co.uk/archive/GoNo...er2008.pdf
(20 Sep 2013, 6:03 pm)big mac wrote Just had a look at the 2008 Red Arrows timetable and on this it did indeed appear to interwork with the X3. The X3 arrived at Eldon Square at 05 and 35, and the X2 departed at 10 and 40.

Here's the link: http://northeastbuses.co.uk/archive/GoNo...er2008.pdf

I forgot about that short period.

I was thinking prior to that, when the x2 were coaches and then Citaros - with the x3/x4 each hourly, being ran by Deltas, Prestiges and whatever else Washington had lying about.

Appologies Jake! Smile
Cats Fast Services Changes

X34 = Washington - Shiney Row – Fence Houses - Houghton-le-Spring – Seaton – Seaham – Dalton Park – Murton - Easington Lane - South Hetton - Easington Village – Essington Way - Horden - Blackhall - Peterlee - Hartlepool
Every 1 Hour

X35 - Sunderland - Doxford International - Houghton-le-Spring - Hetton-le-Hole - Easington Lane - South Hetton - Easington Village – Essington Way - Horden - Blackhall - Peterlee - Hartlepool
Every 30 Minutes

Frequency upto Every 15 Minutes Between Houghton le Spring and Hartlepool across parts of Both Services along with East Durham Service 202
Provides New and Improved Links to Seaham/Dalton Park between Washington/Houghton le Spring and Peterlee/Hartlepool
(20 Sep 2013, 10:55 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Cats Fast Services Changes

X34 = Washington - Shiney Row – Fence Houses - Houghton-le-Spring – Seaton – Seaham – Dalton Park – Murton - Easington Lane - South Hetton - Easington Village – Essington Way - Horden - Blackhall - Peterlee - Hartlepool
Every 1 Hour

X35 - Sunderland - Doxford International - Houghton-le-Spring - Hetton-le-Hole - Easington Lane - South Hetton - Easington Village – Essington Way - Horden - Blackhall - Peterlee - Hartlepool
Every 30 Minutes

Frequency upto Every 15 Minutes Between Houghton le Spring and Hartlepool across parts of Both Services along with East Durham Service 202
Provides New and Improved Links to Seaham/Dalton Park between Washington/Houghton le Spring and Peterlee/Hartlepool

Good Ideas Adam! - I love the X34 suggestion, but would it be worth starting from Newcastle and changing the route a little bit so Newcastle can have a new Hartlepool express? Combine the X34 with my X4 and you get:

X4 - Newcastle-Washington-Waterview Park-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton-Hetton-Low Moorsley
X34 - Newcastle-Washington-Waterview Park-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton-Easington Lane-Peterlee-Blackhall-Hartlepool
  • Your getting a 30-minute service from Newcastle to Washington, Seaham and Murton
  • The 202 can be withdrawn as a result of this
  • Newcastle benifits from a new express service to Hartlepool
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(21 Sep 2013, 6:29 am)W179SCU wrote Good Ideas Adam! - I love the X34 suggestion, but would it be worth starting from Newcastle and changing the route a little bit so Newcastle can have a new Hartlepool express? Combine the X34 with my X4 and you get:

X4 - Newcastle-Washington-Waterview Park-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton-Hetton-Low Moorsley
X34 - Newcastle-Washington-Waterview Park-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton-Easington Lane-Peterlee-Blackhall-Hartlepool
  • Your getting a 30-minute service from Newcastle to Washington, Seaham and Murton

Like the idea, I would also like to see GNE compete with Arriva on some routes to Hartlepool,

Amended X35 Sunderland-Grangetown-Ryhope-Dalton Park-Peterlee-Blackhall-Hartlepool every 30 mins during the day, hourly on a night, sunday and bank holidays.

New Service
235 East Durham Sunderland-Durham Road-Board Inn-Houghton-Hetton-Easington Lane-South Hetton-Easington Village-Peterlee-Horden-Blackhall-Hartlepool Hospital-Hartlepool Interchange every hour during the day, short Sunderland-Peterlee on evenings, sundays and bank holidays
(21 Sep 2013, 6:29 am)W179SCU wrote Good Ideas Adam! - I love the X34 suggestion, but would it be worth starting from Newcastle and changing the route a little bit so Newcastle can have a new Hartlepool express? Combine the X34 with my X4 and you get:

Thanks Tom, I agree with the X34 starting in Newcastle rather than Washington, But I'd rather have it go via Houghton le Spring than Waterview Park as I think it would be used more by passengers.
I like the X4/X34 suggestions, but would you serve Gateshead? i.e. the X1 route between Newcastle and Washington? Or alternatively would you run non-stop via the A1 and the Washington Highway? Both would have benefits, but I think the latter would improve the experience for those travelling from further afield.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(21 Sep 2013, 4:28 pm)aureolin wrote I like the X4/X34 suggestions, but would you serve Gateshead? i.e. the X1 route between Newcastle and Washington? Or alternatively would you run non-stop via the A1 and the Washington Highway? Both would have benefits, but I think the latter would improve the experience for those travelling from further afield.

I would serve Gateshead as it provides a Link to the MetroCentre/Team Valley and Newcastle/Gateshead Quayside along with the Metro, all of which are great Connections. After Gateshead I would have it go up the A1/Washington Highway to make Service Faster.
(21 Sep 2013, 4:40 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I would serve Gateshead as it provides a Link to the MetroCentre/Team Valley and Newcastle/Gateshead Quayside along with the Metro, all of which are great Connections. After Gateshead I would have it go up the A1/Washington Highway to make Service Faster.

Newcastle would provide the same connections? Well to the Metro Centre (10/10A/10B), and Quayside (Q2 from Haymarket or Q1 a short walk away). I really don't think a link to the Team Valley would serve much purpose.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Rather than the 235 replace the current x35 (which is a fairly new link), how about extending the 71 to Peterlee?

The x35 currently serves very little purpose other than call into Doxford Park.
- People in Peterlee (or south of Peterlee) have faster, more direct services to Sunderland.
- People from South Hetton towards Sunderland, also have alternatives.
- Hetton to Sunderland is also more than covered.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions

Good to see more realistic ideas coming up, we on quite good form in the suggestion stakes Wink

How does this sound

X4 - MetroCentre-Newcastle-Washington-Shiney Row-Houghton-Seaton Lane-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton
X34 - Newcastle-MetroCentre-Washington-Waterview Park-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton-Easington Lane-Peterlee-Blackhall-Hartlepool

Services starting at the MetroCentre would not go into Eldon Square, stopping somewhere like Central Station or near the Gate.

It would be non-stop between Newcastle and MetroCentre, as well as MetroCentre-Washington using the Western Bypass. Your Moorsley idea is interested but is most of Moorsley within walking distance or a very short hop on the 35 for the X1 already, if I was to incorporate Moorsley into the debate, I would suggest extending the X1 to cover that area and leave X4/X34 concentrating on East Durham. Obvously it decreases E.Lanes service to Newcastle, but an every 12 minute service is still a very good frequency on X1
(21 Sep 2013, 5:17 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Good to see more realistic ideas coming up, we on quite good form in the suggestion stakes Wink

How does this sound

X4 - MetroCentre-Newcastle-Washington-Shiney Row-Houghton-Seaton Lane-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton
X34 - Newcastle-MetroCentre-Washington-Waterview Park-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton-Easington Lane-Peterlee-Blackhall-Hartlepool

Services starting at the MetroCentre would not go into Eldon Square, stopping somewhere like Central Station or near the Gate.

It would be non-stop between Newcastle and MetroCentre, as well as MetroCentre-Washington using the Western Bypass. Your Moorsley idea is interested but is most of Moorsley within walking distance or a very short hop on the 35 for the X1 already, if I was to incorporate Moorsley into the debate, I would suggest extending the X1 to cover that area and leave X4/X34 concentrating on East Durham. Obvously it decreases E.Lanes service to Newcastle, but an every 12 minute service is still a very good frequency on X1

The Links are already in place to go to the MetroCentre at Gateshead by Switching onto the X66 and Numerous Services in Newcastle also. But there is a way around this "Metrocentre Link".

X88 - Metrocentre - Washington - Shiney Row - Houghton - Seaton Lane - Seaham - Dalton Park - Murton

Instead of running Sat/Sun and Bank Holidays at an Hourly Frequency, It would run Hourly 7 Days a Week, Obviously the Direct Link to Concord would be lost, Not that many Passengers actually get on there anyway. Plus Passengers can quite easily hop on the M1/50 to the Galleries to make the Connection to the X88.