You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016

Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News and Discussion - March 2016
(04 Mar 2016, 10:29 pm)northern156 wrote Has anyone heard about how the 685 'Max'ing has been going on?

I heard a rumour 4663 was being worked on with MAX upgrades after its repairs to it's thermal incident a few months ago but that's the last I've heard!
As I travel to/from work I usually pass a Pulsar on 685 - ANE must have another Omnicity VOR (or on local routes etc) to require this?

4663 was withdrawn from service and awaiting disposal the last I heard about it. It was last sighted at Jesmond depot with a wavy yellow line sprayed around the vehicle.

I haven't yet heard about any vehicles from the 685 going in for refurbishment. I'm sure one of the insiders could provide more info? 

It was mentioned that it might be a joint brand between Arriva and Stagecoach too.
The sooner the joint operation between two different companies is stopped (or at least fully evened out so there's no bias towards Arriva [ie PVR of 4 vs 2]), the better IMO. (But that's another story Smile )

I think the Pulsars are much better vehicles for the job. For me they have much better ride quality and, from an enthusiast's point of view, a certain few do a lot of screaming...!

That said I haven't really used Arriva's 685 for a good while, as I usually drive to Hexham whenever I go on a North East Explorer day.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(04 Mar 2016, 11:05 pm)northern156 wrote The sooner the joint operation between two different companies is stopped (or at least fully evened out so there's no bias towards Arriva [ie PVR of 4 vs 2]), the better IMO. (But that's another story Smile )

I think the Pulsars are much better vehicles for the job. For me they have much better ride quality and, from an enthusiast's point of view, a certain few do a lot of screaming...!

That said I haven't really used Arriva's 685 for a good while, as I usually drive to Hexham whenever I go on a North East Explorer day.

I was hoping for a Pulsar last Saturday but got 4662 which I thought wasn't too bad, although I hate how slippery those leather seats are, I was sat in the pushchair bay leaving Carlisle, the bus turned left at a junction and the driver had to slam on the brakes as some idiot in a van was stopped in a keep clear box and the seats offer no traction whatsoever especially in that situation so me and a few other passengers nearly ended up on the floor! Much preferred the Stagecoach Enviro 300 I got from Hexham to Carlisle, high backed seats and free WiFi on offer as well.
The Scanias on the 685 desperately need an interior refurb. Last I heard they were still deciding on the brand but yes it'll be jointly done with Stagecoach, and won't be Max.
(04 Mar 2016, 11:19 pm)Jimmi wrote I was hoping for a Pulsar last Saturday but got 4662 which I thought wasn't too bad, although I hate how slippery those leather seats are, I was sat in the pushchair bay leaving Carlisle, the bus turned left at a junction and the driver had to slam on the brakes as some idiot in a van was stopped in a keep clear box and the seats offer no traction whatsoever especially in that situation so me and a few other passengers nearly ended up on the floor! Much preferred the Stagecoach Enviro 300 I got from Hexham to Carlisle, high backed seats and free WiFi on offer as well.

Slipperiness was the major issue at first but now I can barely manage more than half an hour sat on one because the leather has worn down so far it's not dissimilar to a bench!
Given the two I'd rather have the E300s even though they seem to be two of the worst ones of the build in the country - there are various other ADL 64 plates that have more guts to them.

Cheers for the info, Scott.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
I found the 85/685 OmniCitys quite unbearable. The worn down, dirty seats and the lack of wifi put me off to be honest. The rear step next to where the engine is, was actually wobbling, not vibrating, wobbling!

The ADL E300s on the 685 operated by Stagecoach, were decent enough to stay on for the whole journey, but the squealing was a tad unbearable.

Can't win these days Big Grin
3/3A/3B Frequenta 2836 was the Solo involved in the crash in Darlington yesterday afternoon.
Site Administrator
Service X93 Summer Timetable & Whitby Park & Ride
From Sunday 29th March until Sunday 1st November, we're running extra journeys on Service X93, plus a revised route and timetable for Whitby Park & Ride.

Read more: https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-east/u...timetable/

The article also states that Next Stop Announcements will soon be introduced to the X93 service, too.
(06 Mar 2016, 12:50 pm)Dan wrote Service X93 Summer Timetable & Whitby Park & Ride
From Sunday 29th March until Sunday 1st November, we're running extra journeys on Service X93, plus a revised route and timetable for Whitby Park & Ride.

Read more: https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-east/u...timetable/

The article also states that Next Stop Announcements will soon be introduced to the X93 service, too.

That is last year's announcement Dan not this year  Wink Not sure what happened regarding the NSAs being introduced.

This Summer's X93 starts on Sunday 20th March 2016, to the same unchanged timetable as last Summer's. The P1/P2 also resume from the same date to the same timetable.
Site Administrator
(06 Mar 2016, 12:57 pm)Kuyoyo wrote That is last year's announcement Dan not this year  Wink Not sure what happened regarding the NSAs being introduced.

This Summer's X93 starts on Sunday 20th March 2016, to the same unchanged timetable as last Summer's. The P1/P2 also resume from the same date to the same timetable.

Arriva's shoddy website coming into play, there!
(06 Mar 2016, 1:01 pm)Dan wrote You expect the "service updates" section on a service's web page to have the latest information... Obviously not in this case!

https://www.arrivabus.co.uk/north-east/s...arborough/

Yeah, let's forget the time last year I posted diversion info on here for the 5/5A for one week... In 2014!

Wish they'd remove things like this when the info is no longer relevant.
Site Administrator
Fleet lists should be fully up to date now.

Drop me a PM if I've missed anything - I hadn't realised I'd left it so long since the last update!
Banned
(06 Mar 2016, 2:56 pm)Dan wrote Fleet lists should be fully up to date now.

Drop me a PM if I've missed anything - I hadn't realised I'd left it so long since the last update!

Just Arriva?
Site Administrator
(06 Mar 2016, 3:02 pm)DanPicken wrote Just Arriva?

They've all been updated, but there's been a few people shouting about the Arriva one being out of date (hence the post here).

First time in weeks I've been on the laptop for longer than 30 minutes!
The X12 has a new diversion out of Gateshead.

It now diverts down Jackson St and follows the current 21 diversion around the High Street and back onto High St West
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(08 Mar 2016, 3:52 pm)S813 FVK wrote Yorkshire Tiger Optare Solo 310 (YJ59 NPF) was been spotted in Belmont depot a few days ago:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simplybuse...ateposted/

I wonder if this could see service if so i wonder what it could be . Possibly the 56 and 57 or the 62 or if nexus want a newer bus on the 168 .
All possabilitys
Best bus ever
Banned
(08 Mar 2016, 6:02 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote I wonder if this could see service if so i wonder what it could be . Possibly the 56 and 57 or the 62 or if nexus want a newer bus on the 168 .
All possabilitys

It's Yorkshire Tigers.
(08 Mar 2016, 3:52 pm)S813 FVK wrote Yorkshire Tiger Optare Solo 310 (YJ59 NPF) was been spotted in Belmont depot a few days ago:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simplybuse...ateposted/
Possibly been at Thornton's?
(08 Mar 2016, 6:15 pm)Jimmi wrote Possibly been at Thornton's?

Probably. YT get a lot of work done there.
4663 is still listed on the Fleet List as 'Under Repair', have they decided to fix it, or has it gone for disposal? (Seem to recall a post about a wavy yellow line around it)
(08 Mar 2016, 9:02 pm)mb134 wrote 4663 is still listed on the Fleet List as 'Under Repair', have they decided to fix it, or has it gone for disposal? (Seem to recall a post about a wavy yellow line around it)

I believe there were recent reports about it being MAXED. I don't know for definite but I would suspect disposal
(08 Mar 2016, 9:06 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I believe there were recent reports about it being MAXED. I don't know for definite but I would suspect disposal

Even if they did fix it, I'd doubt MAX, as I'd assume it would still be used on the 685?
(08 Mar 2016, 9:08 pm)mb134 wrote Even if they did fix it, I'd doubt MAX, as I'd assume it would still be used on the 685?

I agree, it would probably be repainted as well into the newer colours
4663 is languishing at Gardiners at present, doesn't look like it's been touched since its fire. Possibly going to be repaired though
Looks like another fun day in and around Darlo

Arriva North East
5 mins ·

Service Update. Darlington area services and services originating from Darlington. We are currently experiencing major delays to all services in Darlington due to three sets of roadworks that have appeared. These are located at Cockerton affecting services 1,2 and X1. North Road affecting services 3A, 3B, 5, 5A, 7, 8, 21 and X66 and Haughton Road affecting services 9, 10 and X67. We have contacted the local council regarding these roadworks
(09 Mar 2016, 9:31 am)BusLoverMum wrote Looks like another fun day in and around Darlo

Arriva North East
5 mins ·

Service Update. Darlington area services and services originating from Darlington. We are currently experiencing major delays to all services in Darlington due to three sets of roadworks that have appeared. These are located at Cockerton affecting services 1,2 and X1. North Road affecting services 3A, 3B, 5, 5A, 7, 8, 21 and X66 and Haughton Road affecting services 9, 10 and X67. We have contacted the local council regarding these roadworks

*sighs*

So nearly all the out of town services to/from Darlington are likely to be late today then.