Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Strike Action

Strike Action

Strike Action

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next
23 Mar 2024, 8:43 pm
The pay rate is the headline, but it is far from the ultimate benchmark.

The consideration of paid breaks (still exist for large proportion of drivers in Durham County for example), plus the black and white rules around paid time (some operators only pay actual platform time, others pay shift time etc).

Only when you build that picture up, do you truly understand the value of the role.

For example, a lower rate paid right through can actually work out better value than a high rate, only paid when you are physically sat in the cab. Both duties might be 10 hours, with 8.5. hours driving time. Driver on £13.50 paid through gets £135. Driver on £15 only paid for platform time gets £127.50. Exactly the same length of time spent essentially at work. Don't be seduced by the rate.

That doesn't for one minute suggest that 4% is or isn't a fair deal, but a simple comparison of pay rates is not a barometer.
RobinHood
23 Mar 2024, 8:43 pm #21

The pay rate is the headline, but it is far from the ultimate benchmark.

The consideration of paid breaks (still exist for large proportion of drivers in Durham County for example), plus the black and white rules around paid time (some operators only pay actual platform time, others pay shift time etc).

Only when you build that picture up, do you truly understand the value of the role.

For example, a lower rate paid right through can actually work out better value than a high rate, only paid when you are physically sat in the cab. Both duties might be 10 hours, with 8.5. hours driving time. Driver on £13.50 paid through gets £135. Driver on £15 only paid for platform time gets £127.50. Exactly the same length of time spent essentially at work. Don't be seduced by the rate.

That doesn't for one minute suggest that 4% is or isn't a fair deal, but a simple comparison of pay rates is not a barometer.

23 Mar 2024, 8:50 pm
(23 Mar 2024, 8:43 pm)RobinHood The pay rate is the headline, but it is far from the ultimate benchmark.

Yeah valid points, must admit I thought paid driver breaks were long gone across the whole of Arriva North East, if I had to be honest. So wasn't really something I thought about.
Storx
23 Mar 2024, 8:50 pm #22

(23 Mar 2024, 8:43 pm)RobinHood The pay rate is the headline, but it is far from the ultimate benchmark.

Yeah valid points, must admit I thought paid driver breaks were long gone across the whole of Arriva North East, if I had to be honest. So wasn't really something I thought about.

23 Mar 2024, 11:19 pm

Thank you for the insight. I’m salary based with flexi time personally, so unpaid elements of a shift aren’t things I really need to think about.

Out of interest, are Arriva trying to alter any terms and conditions?

From a new starter perspective, taking salary alone would I be right in thinking that GNE and ANE are broadly similar in terms of how drivers are paid? So GNE in effect sign on to sign off minus 30 mins and ANE sign on to sign off minus 45 mins?

Blyth/Ashington and GNE both quote 39 hours. Assuming 4% that would make Northumbria £14.72 vs GNE @ £14.84 come June. But GNE I’m on top rate quicker.
Chris 1
23 Mar 2024, 11:19 pm #23

Thank you for the insight. I’m salary based with flexi time personally, so unpaid elements of a shift aren’t things I really need to think about.

Out of interest, are Arriva trying to alter any terms and conditions?

From a new starter perspective, taking salary alone would I be right in thinking that GNE and ANE are broadly similar in terms of how drivers are paid? So GNE in effect sign on to sign off minus 30 mins and ANE sign on to sign off minus 45 mins?

Blyth/Ashington and GNE both quote 39 hours. Assuming 4% that would make Northumbria £14.72 vs GNE @ £14.84 come June. But GNE I’m on top rate quicker.

24 Mar 2024, 7:07 am
(23 Mar 2024, 8:50 pm)Storx Yeah valid points, must admit I thought paid driver breaks were long gone across the whole of Arriva North East, if I had to be honest. So wasn't really something I thought about.
They are in Northumbria, but not completely in Durham County. Northumbria have a maximum 45 minutes sign off.
RobinHood
24 Mar 2024, 7:07 am #24

(23 Mar 2024, 8:50 pm)Storx Yeah valid points, must admit I thought paid driver breaks were long gone across the whole of Arriva North East, if I had to be honest. So wasn't really something I thought about.
They are in Northumbria, but not completely in Durham County. Northumbria have a maximum 45 minutes sign off.

25 Mar 2024, 9:04 pm
(20 Mar 2024, 1:35 pm)mb134 Apologies, it's £11.46 after training at the moment (£11.19 during training, which you'd assume would legally have to increase). It's around a £5.5k difference over the course of a year compared to GNE and Stagecoach - why would anyone with a licence join Arriva?

It's £11.19 if you start on the minibus rota at Ashington, even if you're already a licence holder. How on earth Arriva hope to recruit experienced drivers when the starting rate is miles behind GNE and Stagecoach is baffling.....
Driver9***
25 Mar 2024, 9:04 pm #25

(20 Mar 2024, 1:35 pm)mb134 Apologies, it's £11.46 after training at the moment (£11.19 during training, which you'd assume would legally have to increase). It's around a £5.5k difference over the course of a year compared to GNE and Stagecoach - why would anyone with a licence join Arriva?

It's £11.19 if you start on the minibus rota at Ashington, even if you're already a licence holder. How on earth Arriva hope to recruit experienced drivers when the starting rate is miles behind GNE and Stagecoach is baffling.....

27 Mar 2024, 7:32 pm
(23 Mar 2024, 3:07 pm)Storx 10% is completely unreasonable. Inflation was 4% in December 2023 so anything above that is a good deal on paper. 

Just because the union was a waste of space for years and accepting poor deals doesn't give them the right imo now to suddenly want double inflation deals. 

(I'm not saying 4% is fair either)

I'm not sure it matters whether you (or anyone else) think 10% is unreasonable. It's a matter for the Union members to decide, and they've overwhelmingly decided that the offer on the table is unreasonable.

% isn't always a great measure. 10% for a bus driver is not a lot compared to 10% for a chief executive.

It's a bit unfair for you to suggest the Union is a 'waste of space'. I'm assuming you realise that it's members collectively who decide whether to accept, reject or go out on strike over an offer. The employed officers simply work to instruction from the members and reps.

Unite are also a much different organisation now, under their current leadership. They'll not be messed about and they're not afraid to use their huge hardship fund.

I think your example highlights a real issue in the industry, and whilst I'm not for one minute suggesting it's unique to buses, but for too long businesses done their utmost to drive down pay and conditions.

This, added with overcomplicated scheduling practices, has left us at the point where we're resorting to meaningless measures to decide someone's rate of pay.

I'm still not sure that 'platform time' is entirely legal, as it's encouraging individuals to do work in their own time. We previously had cited examples of changeovers not being paid time. There's almost a legal precedence supporting this, too: the Sports Direct minimum wage case.

We really need to get out of this idea that a pay increase has to be paid for to the workers' detriment. There clearly needs to be some workplace reforms in most of the large operators, but it needs to be done sensibly and not seen as a cost-cutting exercise.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
27 Mar 2024, 7:32 pm #26

(23 Mar 2024, 3:07 pm)Storx 10% is completely unreasonable. Inflation was 4% in December 2023 so anything above that is a good deal on paper. 

Just because the union was a waste of space for years and accepting poor deals doesn't give them the right imo now to suddenly want double inflation deals. 

(I'm not saying 4% is fair either)

I'm not sure it matters whether you (or anyone else) think 10% is unreasonable. It's a matter for the Union members to decide, and they've overwhelmingly decided that the offer on the table is unreasonable.

% isn't always a great measure. 10% for a bus driver is not a lot compared to 10% for a chief executive.

It's a bit unfair for you to suggest the Union is a 'waste of space'. I'm assuming you realise that it's members collectively who decide whether to accept, reject or go out on strike over an offer. The employed officers simply work to instruction from the members and reps.

Unite are also a much different organisation now, under their current leadership. They'll not be messed about and they're not afraid to use their huge hardship fund.

I think your example highlights a real issue in the industry, and whilst I'm not for one minute suggesting it's unique to buses, but for too long businesses done their utmost to drive down pay and conditions.

This, added with overcomplicated scheduling practices, has left us at the point where we're resorting to meaningless measures to decide someone's rate of pay.

I'm still not sure that 'platform time' is entirely legal, as it's encouraging individuals to do work in their own time. We previously had cited examples of changeovers not being paid time. There's almost a legal precedence supporting this, too: the Sports Direct minimum wage case.

We really need to get out of this idea that a pay increase has to be paid for to the workers' detriment. There clearly needs to be some workplace reforms in most of the large operators, but it needs to be done sensibly and not seen as a cost-cutting exercise.

02 Apr 2024, 2:28 pm
Suspended whilst Unite take a revised offer back to their members, as per the Arriva North East facebook page.
Chris 1
02 Apr 2024, 2:28 pm #27

Suspended whilst Unite take a revised offer back to their members, as per the Arriva North East facebook page.

02 Apr 2024, 8:00 pm
(02 Apr 2024, 2:28 pm)Chris 1 Suspended whilst Unite take a revised offer back to their members, as per the Arriva North East facebook page.

Guessing it must be a reletively positive offer, which might be accepted, since they've suspended the strike action.

I know we all have our feeling about Arriva, and rightly so, but it's nice it appears they actually want to avoid the strike, unlike other companies in the North East and also rail services which were more interested in playing high school politics.
Storx
02 Apr 2024, 8:00 pm #28

(02 Apr 2024, 2:28 pm)Chris 1 Suspended whilst Unite take a revised offer back to their members, as per the Arriva North East facebook page.

Guessing it must be a reletively positive offer, which might be accepted, since they've suspended the strike action.

I know we all have our feeling about Arriva, and rightly so, but it's nice it appears they actually want to avoid the strike, unlike other companies in the North East and also rail services which were more interested in playing high school politics.

02 Apr 2024, 8:14 pm
(02 Apr 2024, 8:00 pm)Storx Guessing it must be a reletively positive offer, which might be accepted, since they've suspended the strike action.

In my experience on the TU side, you'd only suspend strike action if you feel it's an offer that you could recommend to your members.

Adrian
02 Apr 2024, 8:14 pm #29

(02 Apr 2024, 8:00 pm)Storx Guessing it must be a reletively positive offer, which might be accepted, since they've suspended the strike action.

In my experience on the TU side, you'd only suspend strike action if you feel it's an offer that you could recommend to your members.

02 Apr 2024, 9:02 pm
(02 Apr 2024, 8:14 pm)Adrian In my experience on the TU side, you'd only suspend strike action if you feel it's an offer that you could recommend to your members.

Thanks for confirming, I thought that would be the case, but wasn't 100% sure.
Storx
02 Apr 2024, 9:02 pm #30

(02 Apr 2024, 8:14 pm)Adrian In my experience on the TU side, you'd only suspend strike action if you feel it's an offer that you could recommend to your members.

Thanks for confirming, I thought that would be the case, but wasn't 100% sure.

02 Apr 2024, 9:06 pm

Conversely, I think it's concerning management have caved in this early.
It's as though they knew what it would take to keep the drivers happy.

Why not offer them it initially?
Why wait until it gets to this stage and potential disruption in addition to miscontent and apathy in the workforce?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
02 Apr 2024, 9:06 pm #31

Conversely, I think it's concerning management have caved in this early.

Why wait until it gets to this stage and potential disruption in addition to miscontent and apathy in the workforce?

02 Apr 2024, 9:12 pm
(02 Apr 2024, 9:06 pm)Andreos1 Conversely, I think it's concerning management have caved in this early.

Aye no disagreements to be fair, mind I don't blame them in a way, the union until now at Blyth sounded very weak so sounds they took their chances they'd get another bad offer through.

Not saying that's morally right mind or good for moral etc.
Storx
02 Apr 2024, 9:12 pm #32

(02 Apr 2024, 9:06 pm)Andreos1 Conversely, I think it's concerning management have caved in this early.

Aye no disagreements to be fair, mind I don't blame them in a way, the union until now at Blyth sounded very weak so sounds they took their chances they'd get another bad offer through.

Not saying that's morally right mind or good for moral etc.

02 Apr 2024, 11:59 pm

I don't understand why companies do it. As you suggest, it causes more disruption in the workplace than most other things would.

It often feels like it's being used to buy time, knowing how long it takes to go through ballots etc, but I've also known companies use the ballot as a measuring stick. Getting a high turnout is always important, as it gives the company a clear indication that the workforce are united on the issue.

Adrian
02 Apr 2024, 11:59 pm #33

I don't understand why companies do it. As you suggest, it causes more disruption in the workplace than most other things would.

It often feels like it's being used to buy time, knowing how long it takes to go through ballots etc, but I've also known companies use the ballot as a measuring stick. Getting a high turnout is always important, as it gives the company a clear indication that the workforce are united on the issue.

03 Apr 2024, 7:50 am
(02 Apr 2024, 11:59 pm)Adrian I don't understand why companies do it. As you suggest, it causes more disruption in the workplace than most other things would.

I do wonder if with this one, the ongoing takeover process has added an additional complication as well.
Shrek
03 Apr 2024, 7:50 am #34

(02 Apr 2024, 11:59 pm)Adrian I don't understand why companies do it. As you suggest, it causes more disruption in the workplace than most other things would.

I do wonder if with this one, the ongoing takeover process has added an additional complication as well.

03 Apr 2024, 9:23 pm

£££ imo. It's worked enough over the years as bus drivers have been getting crap wage increases and their terms eroded for years now which has led to the mess they're in pretty much anyway.

Right or wrong, but those at the top only care about one thing and that's how much money they take home. Moral etc was irrelevant until recently, as there was a queue of people waiting to replace them.

Mind why they're doing now it is stupid but Feetham and Ben Maxfield pretty much publically displayed how much they care about their workers and Arriva NE / Yorkshire will be riddled by Feetham's legacy.
Storx
03 Apr 2024, 9:23 pm #35

£££ imo. It's worked enough over the years as bus drivers have been getting crap wage increases and their terms eroded for years now which has led to the mess they're in pretty much anyway.

Right or wrong, but those at the top only care about one thing and that's how much money they take home. Moral etc was irrelevant until recently, as there was a queue of people waiting to replace them.

Mind why they're doing now it is stupid but Feetham and Ben Maxfield pretty much publically displayed how much they care about their workers and Arriva NE / Yorkshire will be riddled by Feetham's legacy.

05 Apr 2024, 4:13 pm
Looks like the strike is back on.

Perhaps our very own and thoroughly pleasant Daniel will be on hand to provide short-noticed replacements, assuming he's not out parading in front of the bus media, getting his photo taken?

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
MurdnunoC
05 Apr 2024, 4:13 pm #36

Looks like the strike is back on.

Perhaps our very own and thoroughly pleasant Daniel will be on hand to provide short-noticed replacements, assuming he's not out parading in front of the bus media, getting his photo taken?

05 Apr 2024, 7:23 pm
(05 Apr 2024, 4:13 pm)MurdnunoC Looks like the strike is back on.

With technology the way it is, I wonder if they could just get hold of some old photos of MG and photoshop our very own Daniel's head on to it. 

They strike a similar pose.

Andreos1
05 Apr 2024, 7:23 pm #37

(05 Apr 2024, 4:13 pm)MurdnunoC Looks like the strike is back on.

With technology the way it is, I wonder if they could just get hold of some old photos of MG and photoshop our very own Daniel's head on to it. 

They strike a similar pose.

08 Apr 2024, 9:30 pm
Just spotted that Arriva UK Bus are looking for a new HR Director for Shared Service, Reward and MI. Obviously things won't happen overnight, but it'll be interesting to see if they start to change their ways regarding how they look after their staff.
Shrek
08 Apr 2024, 9:30 pm #38

Just spotted that Arriva UK Bus are looking for a new HR Director for Shared Service, Reward and MI. Obviously things won't happen overnight, but it'll be interesting to see if they start to change their ways regarding how they look after their staff.

17 Apr 2024, 11:34 am
Not sure if this has just passed me by - is this still happening next week? I can't seem to see any updates since they said they were suspending the first week whilst they took an offer back.
Chris 1
17 Apr 2024, 11:34 am #39

Not sure if this has just passed me by - is this still happening next week? I can't seem to see any updates since they said they were suspending the first week whilst they took an offer back.

Dan
Site Administrator
17 Apr 2024, 11:45 am
(17 Apr 2024, 11:34 am)Chris 1 Not sure if this has just passed me by - is this still happening next week? I can't seem to see any updates since they said they were suspending the first week whilst they took an offer back.

Still seems to be going ahead judging by their replies on Facebook:

[Image: 0df3bdaf6d2dd7e48e42888818cb6379.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
17 Apr 2024, 11:45 am #40

(17 Apr 2024, 11:34 am)Chris 1 Not sure if this has just passed me by - is this still happening next week? I can't seem to see any updates since they said they were suspending the first week whilst they took an offer back.

Still seems to be going ahead judging by their replies on Facebook:

[Image: 0df3bdaf6d2dd7e48e42888818cb6379.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pages (3): Previous 1 2 3 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 159
Views 57899
03 Apr 2019, 7:41 pm
Last Post by S830OFT