You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Site Administrator
RE: Cameras
(23 Nov 2013, 11:36 pm)aureolin wrote I've never used a Samsung camera myself so I cant really comment. Obviously just read several independent reviews and such before you buy.

For the kind of shots you take though, you'd probably find benefit in buying an entry level DSLR instead? Perhaps something like the Nikon D3200 or D3200. You'd get it with an 18-55 kit lens for less than the 400 mark.

I used to use my bridge Nikon when out and about, but I kept getting drawn back to the DSLR because of the performance you get from one.

As I've said previously, despite the performance from a DSLR, I'm put off because of the sheer bulkiness of one. When going out for photos, I'll often meet up with friends first and then take some photos when I've left them (or the other way round).
It's not practical in the slightest for me, but a good quality compact is.
Site Administrator
I shall do some testing and then write you all a review... Have to get used to a new camera first though, so may need a week or two.
Site Administrator
A lot of reviews sung the NX1100's praises, but I can't say I agree with the reviews in the slightest.

I found the colour on a lot of my photos appeared 'washed out', and I had a number of issues with blur (ISO was set correctly for yesterday's lighting) and focus.
In short, not a great camera at all.

Shop opened up at 10am this morning, and it was swapped for a Nikon D5100 immediately. Guess I'm going for the DSLR approach, after all! Now eagerly awaiting the delivery!
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 which was part of the bundle was 'swapped' for a Nexus 7, and that's a lot better too.
(01 Dec 2013, 5:13 pm)Dan wrote A lot of reviews sung the NX1100's praises, but I can't say I agree with the reviews in the slightest.

I found the colour on a lot of my photos appeared 'washed out', and I had a number of issues with blur (ISO was set correctly for yesterday's lighting) and focus.
In short, not a great camera at all.

Shop opened up at 10am this morning, and it was swapped for a Nikon D5100 immediately. Guess I'm going for the DSLR approach, after all! Now eagerly awaiting the delivery!
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 which was part of the bundle was 'swapped' for a Nexus 7, and that's a lot better too.

Good choice. I love my D5100 like. Tend to use it more than anything else at the moment. I'd recommend getting a screw on UV filter for your lens though, and just leave it on most of the time. If anything, it's cheaper to replace a scratched filter than scratched lens.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
(01 Dec 2013, 5:16 pm)aureolin wrote Good choice. I love my D5100 like. Tend to use it more than anything else at the moment. I'd recommend getting a screw on UV filter for your lens though, and just leave it on most of the time. If anything, it's cheaper to replace a scratched filter than scratched lens.

I noticed you had one, and I noticed CumbrianJosh had the D5000. I asked Josh if he'd help me set it up. The colours do appear somewhat unrealistic on his photos (as with my photos), but I do think they look great - they appeal to me straight away as they're so striking.
Cheers for the tip too - Santa has heard my request.
Re: RE: Cameras
(20 Dec 2013, 4:41 pm)Dan wrote The D5100 is a beauty. Amazing performer at night too - buses can be in motion and the photos still don't blur.

Thought you'd enjoy it Wink worth getting a light weight tripod too if you're shooting in poor light. Gives you a chance to let the shutter open a tad longer with zero blur.
I've only owned / used 3 digital cameras capable of photos where you can see the bus (my first digital camera I got in 2000 was one of them pencil style cameras but the images were like 100 pixels wide or something.

My first decent digital camera aquired in July 2003 was a Kodak CX4210 Easyshare. Sometimes tempermental with moving vehicles on dull days, has produced some good photos such as these two:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photoge...402195605/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photoge...5870932898

My second camera (and one I now refer to as old reliable) is a Sanyo VPC-MZ3 which was aquired secondhand off one John Atkins in November 2004 and it's probably the best camera I will ever own, takes photos in just about any light, even on the dullest of days I only end up with up to 2% photos that are not usable, and that is only in rare cases. I have no idea on how many photos I've taken with this camera that I still now own, but I have taken many brilliant shots that it's hard to choose a good photo but here is two of them:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photoge...4851722726
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photoge...8240109995

My third camera is also one that is currently in use, it's a Samsung ES60 and normally you see it hanging around my neck for quick access as it's quicker at starting up then the old Sanyo. It's my high defination camera, and I mainly use it at bus rallies, bus depots and usually on stationary vehicles, but I have on occasion used it on moving vehicles which 90% of the time it works with it increasing to 99% on lovely sunny days. Here are two examples of my photos with the Samsung:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photoge...5870932898
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photoge...7796278940

I have used cameras on other devices such as my mobile phone. Quite impressed with photos from my current HTC Sensation phone.
Also got a camcorder which I've taken one or two photos on, but now it's rarely used as I find it gets in the way too much, and normally I only really video trains.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 3:58 pm)Tom wrote I've noticed the quality of my photos hasn't been up to scratch, so think I'm going to get a new camera, but not sure what yet. Any suggestions?

You looking for a DSLR or a or a smaller one?
(17 Apr 2014, 4:07 pm)Dan wrote You looking for a DSLR or a or a smaller one?

Depends really. Ideally a smaller one, but if I can get a decent price for a DSLR, then a DSLR would be excellent.
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 4:10 pm)Tom wrote Depends really. Ideally a smaller one, but if I can get a decent price for a DSLR, then a DSLR would be excellent.

What would you say your price limit was?
(17 Apr 2014, 4:11 pm)Dan wrote What would you say your price limit was?

I'll be suggesting a camera for my birthday in two weeks, but lets say £200?
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 4:14 pm)Tom wrote I'll be suggesting a camera for my birthday in two weeks, but lets say £200?

Well the cheapest DSLR I can find is £250, so you'd probably have to look at a Point & Shoot...
(17 Apr 2014, 4:24 pm)Dan wrote Well the cheapest DSLR I can find is £250, so you'd probably have to look at a Point & Shoot...

Suppose £250 is all right - What one is that?
(17 Apr 2014, 4:30 pm)Dan wrote http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/cameras/dig...eInfo=2_20&sSortInfo=price-asc

My friend has a Canon and absolutely loves it. He mainly uses it for video but his photos have appeared to be quite good in terms of quality too.

Thanks, might try it.
As I've never used a DSLR before, what's the main differences between a point and shoot camera to a DSLR?
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 4:31 pm)Tom wrote Thanks, might try it.
As I've never used a DSLR before, what's the main differences between a point and shoot camera to a DSLR?

You have a lot more control with a DSLR. Night shots are so easy to take with a DSLR compared to a standard Point & Shoot.
I find that battery life is far superior too.
(17 Apr 2014, 4:38 pm)Dan wrote You have a lot more control with a DSLR. Night shots are so easy to take with a DSLR compared to a standard Point & Shoot.
I find that battery life is far superior too.

Cheers Smile
I'll make the same suggestion that I made to Dan last year - get a DSLR. Tongue You really won't regret saving/spending the extra money on one when you see how good they are.

I notice on Flickr that there's a good few people using Nikon D3100s. They've now been superseded by the D3200 as Nikon's new entry level DSLR, which I think retails for about £350 with the standard 18-55mm VR lens. I've got the D5100 with the same lens and can honestly say they're worth every penny.

I notice Canon EOS 1100D DSLRs (with a 18-55mm lens) seem to have been reduced all over the place now. Amazon are selling them for £239.99, whereas I've never seen them below about £399 previously. Absolute bargain.
(17 Apr 2014, 4:42 pm)aureolin wrote I'll make the same suggestion that I made to Dan last year - get a DSLR. Tongue You really won't regret saving/spending the extra money on one when you see how good they are.

I notice on Flickr that there's a good few people using Nikon D3100s. They've now been superseded by the D3200 as Nikon's new entry level DSLR, which I think retails for about £350 with the standard 18-55mm VR lens. I've got the D5100 with the same lens and can honestly say they're worth every penny.

I notice Canon EOS 1100D DSLRs (with a 18-55mm lens) seem to have been reduced all over the place now. Amazon are selling them for £239.99, whereas I've never seen them below about £399 previously. Absolute bargain.

How much are the D5100's like?
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 5:06 pm)Tom wrote How much are the D5100's like?

I got mine from Argos when it costed £469. It's gone up in price since to £489, but I got mine insured and all sorts so it came to more than £500 iirc.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa...778959.htm

Comes with a bag, tripod and memory card. The bag is quite big too - I usually fit a phone charger in there, my "Anker", my Panasonic DMC-TZ40 and any bits of paper I have on me.
(17 Apr 2014, 5:24 pm)Dan wrote I got mine from Argos when it costed £469. It's gone up in price since to £489, but I got mine insured and all sorts so it came to more than £500 iirc.
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/pa...778959.htm

Comes with a bag, tripod and memory card. The bag is quite big too - I usually fit a phone charger in there, my "Anker", my Panasonic DMC-TZ40 and any bits of paper I have on me.

Ah that's a bit expensive.
I bought a refurbished Nikon D3100 in mid-2012 and can honestly say I've never looked back since.
I never thought I would buy a DSLR, but when I suddenly realised that my old camera was crap (Nikon Coolpix L120 bridge camera), I took the plunge.

They're flaming hard to learn at first with settings and menus here, there and everywhere, but once you get the hang of it, they're great.
I like how Dan has mentioned that DSLRs are easy(!), that is still beyond me! I have taken a couple of flukes though, such as:
[Image: 11278015756_1c0097eaf5_c.jpg]Go North East 6007 NK11BHL by Northern156, on Flickr
But even that had to be flooded with light!!!

The main thing you'll find with DSLRs is the amount of accessories that you need. Lenses is obviously a big one, but even stuff like remote controls - I just bought one two weeks ago to try and improve my night photography. (Not used it yet though!)
Tripods, lens caps, spare batteries, lens filters, stuff like that.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
(17 Apr 2014, 6:56 pm)northern156 wrote I bought a refurbished Nikon D3100 in mid-2012 and can honestly say I've never looked back since.
I never thought I would buy a DSLR, but when I suddenly realised that my old camera was crap (Nikon Coolpix L120 bridge camera), I took the plunge.

They're flaming hard to learn at first with settings and menus here, there and everywhere, but once you get the hang of it, they're great.
I like how Dan has mentioned that DSLRs are easy(!), that is still beyond me! I have taken a couple of flukes though, such as:
[Image: 11278015756_1c0097eaf5_c.jpg]Go North East 6007 NK11BHL by Northern156, on Flickr
But even that had to be flooded with light!!!

The main thing you'll find with DSLRs is the amount of accessories that you need. Lenses is obviously a big one, but even stuff like remote controls - I just bought one two weeks ago to try and improve my night photography. (Not used it yet though!)
Tripods, lens caps, spare batteries, lens filters, stuff like that.

Thanks for the advice. Is a tripod essential, though?
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 6:56 pm)northern156 wrote They're flaming hard to learn at first with settings and menus here, there and everywhere, but once you get the hang of it, they're great.
I like how Dan has mentioned that DSLRs are easy(!), that is still beyond me!

Completely agree - at first they're hideously difficult to use. Trial and error allows you to become familiar with the best settings to use though, as well as a bit of reading.

Night photography with DSLRs is so much easier than night photography with Point & Shoots, but that's just my personal opinion. I've even tried night photography with both using the exact same manual settings, and the quality of the photograph produced by the DSLR has been far superior.

(17 Apr 2014, 7:16 pm)Tom wrote Thanks for the advice. Is a tripod essential, though?

I ain't used mine yet!
(17 Apr 2014, 7:16 pm)Tom wrote Thanks for the advice. Is a tripod essential, though?
Unless you're a master at those run a hoop through an electric wire things (steady, steady hand) then yeah! My personal opinion though.

That is unless you have a mini-tripod or somewhere decent where the camera will sit untouched. For a good still night-time shot, you're talking 10 second shutters potentially; that means the camera HAS to stay exactly where it is for 10 seconds otherwise the pic will be blurry.

It is that, or, depending on your camera, shoot up the ISO to something high and get the ISO graining as a result.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 7:59 pm)northern156 wrote Unless you're a master at those run a hoop through an electric wire things (steady, steady hand) then yeah! My personal opinion though.

That is unless you have a mini-tripod or somewhere decent where the camera will sit untouched. For a good still night-time shot, you're talking 10 second shutters potentially; that means the camera HAS to stay exactly where it is for 10 seconds otherwise the pic will be blurry.

It is that, or, depending on your camera, shoot up the ISO to something high and get the ISO graining as a result.

A selection of my night shots:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrah...338476924/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrah...088827114/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrah...911950835/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrah...911953255/

When viewing the photographs in full, you can see the ISO graining - that's from ISO 640.
Taken on shutter speed priority, all were on 1/13 apart from the first one which was at 1/15.

Don't think they're too bad though, given that they were on cold nights and I would have been shaking a bit. Tongue
Site Administrator
(17 Apr 2014, 8:28 pm)northern156 wrote 1/13 handheld?! I can't even do 1/80s without even a bit of blur!
Probably need my muscles/nerves checked out by a doctor. Big Grin

Don't get me wrong, I take at least ten as some do blur a bit - the blur is never usually that bad though.