You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Redcar depot
(01 Aug 2024, 2:32 pm)davao123 wrote 4712 broke down at Middlesborough on Monday Morning it got towed by Alpha

Was back out yesterday all day on the x4
(01 Aug 2024, 2:43 pm)davao123 wrote What was the deal with Arriva buying these in the first place? Just struggle to understand why didn't order Pulsars like most of Arriva did at the time.

IIRC the reason given at the time was that they were cheaper to buy and supposedly more economical to run than a Pulsar. The saying "Pay cheap, pay twice" probably applies.
(03 Aug 2024, 8:54 am)Mark66t wrote Whitby working

No 8.34 x4

No 9.36 x93 Scarborough

Not the best start for whitby

Especially when it's whitby's steam rally weekend 
Has p1 starred yet as nothing was tracking
Banned
(03 Aug 2024, 2:30 pm)Bus Lad Roy wrote Just saw on North Yorkshire weather updates page that an Arriva solo has left the road between Egton and Grosmont.   Driver and passengers are safe.

That's great news for driver and passengers

There can replace bus if its suffered bad damage
(03 Aug 2024, 3:34 pm)Storx wrote https://www.facebook.com/NorthYorkshireW...GPxPb5Wjil

Quite a bad one that mind, that hasn't gone through there at 10 mph. Lucky no-one was hurt.

2870 was the bus involved.

1427 was swapped off the X4 for 4707 at Redcar, with 1427 sent light to Whitby, so 2866 could be swapped off the 95 to operate the 1715 96 to Lealholmside (2870 incident occurred on the 1310 trip to Whitby).

Worse still, a Coastliner bus broke down in Sleights.
(03 Aug 2024, 4:37 pm)Jimmi wrote 2870 was the bus involved.

1427 was swapped off the X4 for 4707 at Redcar, with 1427 sent light to Whitby, so 2866 could be swapped off the 95 to operate the 1715 96 to Lealholmside (2870 incident occurred on the 1310 trip to Whitby).

Worse still, a Coastliner bus broke down in Sleights
Not a great day for redcar then. A lot of buses taken off the x2 to join the x4. And along with 2870. Now down another solo down.  Just presuming that it may be withdrawn. 

Any update on 2863. Do we know where it is?

https://www.facebook.com/share/HcoKF25EJ4dktmDK/

Updates on how the bus landed.
Random question

But why does redcar have 1556. The past 2 weekends it's not been used on the m4. Near enough most of the fleet is on the road.
Part from
1420 which hasn't tracked since 28/7
1426 18/7
1445 2/8 which appears to of broken down in the x94

And now with 2870 off the road
Banned
(04 Aug 2024, 10:02 am)Ryland wrote Random question

But why does redcar have 1556. The past 2 weekends it's not been used on the m4.  Near enough most of the fleet is on the road.
Part from
1420 which hasn't tracked since 28/7
1426 18/7
1445 2/8 which appears to of broken down in the x94

And now with 2870 off the road

1556 probably  will have failed again ?
2870 I can't see returning. Not after seeing the state it's in. I imagine another Solo will get transferred to Whitby. I imagine the Redcar one 2857 will go to Whitby and Darlo's last one 2841 will head to Redcar. That's the only logical replacements unless Northumbria can spare one.
(04 Aug 2024, 5:38 pm)Mike_98 wrote 2870 I can't see returning. Not after seeing the state it's in. I imagine another Solo will get transferred to Whitby. I imagine the Redcar one 2857 will go to Whitby and Darlo's last one 2841 will head to Redcar. That's the only logical replacements unless Northumbria can spare one.

The Solo's need replacing ideally, I'm sure there has to be something in the pipeline. I know someone in the past has mentioned in the past that there's newer buses in the plan for the 57/57A at Ashington so I assume these are similar.

Obviously, this is wild speculation, but there's currently 3 WF Streetlite's doing absolutely nothing in Hemel Hempstead where the depot has recently closed, these should be ideal to sort out the Whitby Solo's if they could get their hands on them some how.

Similar to SLS26-30 in London being ideal for the 57/57A at Ashington which would kill off all the Solo's bar the 3 short examples for the 434.

Not that Streetlite's are any good mind but the Solo's really are that bad.
(04 Aug 2024, 6:54 pm)Storx wrote The Solo's need replacing ideally, I'm sure there has to be something in the pipeline. I know someone in the past has mentioned in the past that there's newer buses in the plan for the 57/57A at Ashington so I assume these are similar.

Obviously, this is wild speculation, but there's currently 3 WF Streetlite's doing absolutely nothing in Hemel Hempstead where the depot has recently closed, these should be ideal to sort out the Whitby Solo's if they could get their hands on them some how.

Similar to SLS26-30 in London being ideal for the 57/57A at Ashington which would kill off all the Solo's bar the 3 short examples for the 434.

Not that Streetlite's are any good mind but the Solo's really are that bad.

However a dart (1759) has previously been used on the now 96 route. So it probably doesn't need to be a front wheel drive bus on it. 

Agreed that the solos do need replacing. Granted not many routes in the north east need minibuses but say if Redcar not like 6. Then the possibility of creating a new town in redcar or whitby would be ideal. Connecting the villages that only get one bus an hour
(04 Aug 2024, 7:29 pm)Ryland wrote However a dart (1759) has previously been used on the now 96 route. So it probably doesn't need to be a front wheel drive bus on it. 

Agreed that the solos do need replacing. Granted not many routes in the north east need minibuses but say if Redcar not like 6. Then the possibility of creating a new town in redcar or whitby would be ideal. Connecting the villages that only get one bus an hour

Aye possibly like, problem is, can't see it being a route which would get brand new buses. It's just a low used subsidised service. There's not many minibuses in the Arriva fleet (nationwide) now really, bar the stuff I mentioned there. It's always getting displaced stuff but obviously the displaced buses have ran out in the North East since Blyth, Jesmond and Durham have become minibus free.

Don't really expect them to come though, probably just send 2857 to Whitby and then push one of the Pulsars in reserve to Redcar. Don't believe they actually need 2857 for anything.

Speaking of Solo's appears 2853 has broken down again today at Ashington. They urgently need to go the 59 Plates, absolutely shot to bits, they're embarrassing at this stage.
(04 Aug 2024, 8:05 pm)Storx wrote Aye possibly like, problem is, can't see it being a route which would get brand new buses. It's just a low used subsidised service. There's not many minibuses in the Arriva fleet (nationwide) now really, bar the stuff I mentioned there. It's always getting displaced stuff but obviously the displaced buses have ran out in the North East since Blyth, Jesmond and Durham have become minibus free.

Don't really expect them to come though, probably just send 2857 to Whitby and then push one of the Pulsars in reserve to Redcar. Don't believe they actually need 2857 for anything.

Speaking of Solo's seen 2853 has broken down again today at Ashington. They urgently need to go the 59 Plates, absolutely shot to bits, they're embarrassing at this stage.

2863 is somewhere st the moment. Not sure whether it's in whitby depot parked up or waiting to be fixed at Redcar. 

2857 a flying machine
2866 abit sluggish 

I think they may just use a random full size bus on the 95 till things are sorted. Could just use a temsa as purely for the 95 and keep the solo for the 96
(04 Aug 2024, 8:09 pm)Ryland wrote 2863 is somewhere st the moment. Not sure whether it's in whitby depot parked up or waiting to be fixed at Redcar. 

2857 a flying machine
2866 abit sluggish 

I think they may just use a random full size bus on the 95 till things are sorted. Could just use a temsa as purely for the 95 and keep the solo for the 96

Probably knackered with the rest of them, not sure whether there's a parts issue or something as 2601/2852/2859 are all knackered at Ashington, wouldn't be surprised if 53 is on the list aswell.

They're all awful up here, 2853 was broken for months and came back into service sounding absolutely attrocious and is as reliable as the 63 timetable in Redcar. God knows what's wrong with 2859 as it's been VOR for months aswell now and they've already managed to withdraw 2855/2856.

When you'd rather have a Streetlite you know things are bad. Probably though with the 95, mind I'm sure they'll want some form of spare at Whitby long term, just not sure what they could send really.
Banned
(04 Aug 2024, 8:09 pm)Ryland wrote 2863 is somewhere st the moment. Not sure whether it's in whitby depot parked up or waiting to be fixed at Redcar. 

2857 a flying machine
2866 abit sluggish 

They may bring a small e200mmc from Darlington as a last resort
(05 Aug 2024, 7:18 am)Mark66t wrote They may bring a small e200mmc from Darlington as a last resort

The E200's can't run the routes due to grounding issues. Also why should Redcar, now be robbing buses from Darlington to sort out their problems again. Might aswell just send every 72 plate there.
(05 Aug 2024, 7:42 am)Storx wrote The E200's can't run the routes due to grounding issues. Also why should Redcar, now be robbing buses from Darlington to sort out their problems again. Might aswell just send every 72 plate there.

1759 could manage the route in sure an e200 could manage.

1438 is on the 95 today
Presumably 2866 is on the 96.

Still no 2863? 

2857 is on the 81
(05 Aug 2024, 8:11 am)Ryland wrote 1759 could manage the route in sure an e200 could manage.

1438 is on the 95 today
Presumably 2866 is on the 96.

Still no 2863? 

2857 is on the 81

The Darts could manage the Jesmond routes which the MMC's couldn't. I believe the MMC's have a lower frontend that the Darts so they'll struggle. There's also the problem that the Darlington routes can only run with midibuses aswell due to the tight corners and narrow streets so you'll just be moving the problem from one depot to another.

2857 has been pulled off the 81 btw, just had a look. Not sure if it's technical or not so maybe that might be heading to Whitby now?
They've had their moneys worth out of the Solos. Surely their time is running out though. The best solution is just to buy some new ones.

Solos are still being manufactured, they'll be a lot cheaper than full sized buses, and Arriva would only need a small number of them.
(05 Aug 2024, 9:01 am)tvd wrote They've had their moneys worth out of the Solos.  Surely their time is running out though.  The best solution is just to buy some new ones.

Solos are still being manufactured, they'll be a lot cheaper than full sized buses, and Arriva would only need a small number of them.

I know this might be a bizarre opinion but personally if I was Arriva, I'd be looking at binning off the 95/96 contracts then getting 9 Enviro 200 MMC's as:

1 Darlington - Replace 2841
8 Ashington - 57/57A/434

I'm not sure those routes are really worth it alone to have a microfleet of Solo's which they haven't purchased for years, unless they can nab some of the WF Streetlite's from down South to run it. There is currently 3 without a home at Hemel Hempstead, for example.
Banned
(05 Aug 2024, 8:17 am)Storx wrote The Darts could manage the Jesmond routes which the MMC's couldn't. I believe the MMC's have a lower frontend that the Darts so they'll struggle. There's also the problem that the Darlington routes can only run with midibuses aswell due to the tight corners and narrow streets so you'll just be moving the problem from one depot to another.

2857 has been pulled off the 81 btw, just had a look. Not sure if it's technical or not so maybe that might be heading to Whitby now?
Banned
(05 Aug 2024, 7:42 am)Storx wrote The E200's can't run the routes due to grounding issues. Also why should Redcar, now be robbing buses from Darlington to sort out their problems again. Might aswell just send every 72 plate there.

If there's no choice then there may after to and it's not Robing so please use the correct term

It's on the 63

1459 is at Redcar on the 63
(05 Aug 2024, 1:39 pm)Mark66t wrote If there's no choice then there may after to and it's not Robing so please use the correct term

It's on the 63

1459 is at Redcar on the 63

1554 is also is on the 62 today
(05 Aug 2024, 9:17 am)Storx wrote I know this might be a bizarre opinion but personally if I was Arriva, I'd be looking at binning off the 95/96 contracts then getting 9 Enviro 200 MMC's as:

1 Darlington - Replace 2841
8 Ashington - 57/57A/434

I'm not sure those routes are really worth it alone to have a microfleet of Solo's which they haven't purchased for years, unless they can nab some of the WF Streetlite's from down South to run it. There is currently 3 without a home at Hemel Hempstead, for example.

Maybe, but a small fleet of Solos (or other minibuses) would allow them to run these routes and the school contracts as now, and also tender for other contracts that might turn up.

Even having them almost as spare buses could be useful. We often see a Solo on the 81 for example, or other routes, and they must save a bit on fuel if you add up all the mileage they do whilst on full sized bus routes. Ok, a very small amount in the total scheme of things but handy nontheless.