Finish Point: TYNEMOUTH, ALLENDALE PLACE
Via:
Service Number: MOUTH OF THE TYNE FESTIVAL PARK & RIDE
Service Type: Limited Stop
Effective Date: 12-JUL-2014
Other Details: Runs on Saturday 12th July & Sunday 13th July 2014

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
R852 PRG   30 May 2014, 6:25 pm
(30 May 2014, 6:22 pm)Michael wrote PB0003954/598 - GO NORTH EAST LIMITED, 117 QUEEN STREET, GATESHEAD, NE8 2UA
Registration Accepted by SN
Starting Point: CULLERCOATS BEACONSFIELD PARK
Finish Point: TYNEMOUTH, ALLENDALE PLACE
Via:
Service Number: MOUTH OF THE TYNE FESTIVAL PARK & RIDE
Service Type: Limited Stop
Effective Date: 12-JUL-2014
Other Details: Runs on Saturday 12th July & Sunday 13th July 2014

Do you think it'll be operated by Percy Main or Riverside? Not sure if Percy Main would have enough vehicles spare to operate it alone, so maybe Riverside could loan a few Vykings that aren't occupied?
Tom   30 May 2014, 6:26 pm
(30 May 2014, 6:25 pm)Marcus wrote Do you think it'll be operated by Percy Main or Riverside? Not sure if Percy Main would have enough vehicles spare to operate it alone, so maybe Riverside could loan a few Vykings that aren't occupied?

Percy Main have always operated it. Percy Main will have at least 5 or 6 lolynes spare, so no doubt they'll be used.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   30 May 2014, 6:31 pm
(30 May 2014, 6:26 pm)Tom wrote Percy Main have always operated it. Percy Main will have at least 5 or 6 lolynes spare, so no doubt they'll be used.

I forgot they've got 12 (?) Lolyne's now; I'm thinking they've only got 8 Tongue
Tom   30 May 2014, 6:33 pm
(30 May 2014, 6:31 pm)Marcus wrote I forgot they've got 12 (?) Lolyne's now; I'm thinking they've only got 8 Tongue

12 Lolynes and 3 Presidents Wink
No doubt they'll have about 7 on the 17 though like normal!
Dan   30 May 2014, 6:35 pm
(30 May 2014, 6:26 pm)Tom wrote Percy Main have always operated it. Percy Main will have at least 5 or 6 lolynes spare, so no doubt they'll be used.

I can't recall it being operated by GNE last year? I usually go to every 'special service' kinda thing operated by GNE, so it seems odd I wouldn't have gone to the one last year.

No reference to it on GNE's website after a quick search either. No photos on Flickr either, from a quick search.
Tom   30 May 2014, 6:37 pm
(30 May 2014, 6:35 pm)Dan wrote I can't recall it being operated by GNE last year? I usually go to every 'special service' kinda thing operated by GNE, so it seems odd I wouldn't have gone to the one last year.

No reference to it on GNE's website after a quick search either. No photos on Flickr either, from a quick search.

It was - GNE had 8239 and 8241 on there.
Arriva operated a special service from the Ferry landing to Tynemouth too, using 2 X Pulsars.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
L469 YVK   30 May 2014, 6:52 pm
I like the look of the Optare Metrodecker but the Torque is only 930nm on a 5.1L engine. Mind you though, there is no turbocharging either so the reliability will be better than the Cummins engined deckers on the market. One thing that I will say though is that the weight of the body is lighter than the E400 body and Gemini 3 body AND, the engine has 12nm more torque than the Volvo D5K engine used in the Gemini 3. So despite the Cummins 6.7l having more torque, the bodywork is heavier and so is the Gemini 3 body. Also, the maximum RPM is 2200rpm which is 400 less than what Volvo are offering so despite the torque being low but slightly more than the D5K, the bus will not have to work as hard as the D5K with only a maximum of 2200rpm compared to 2600rpm which reduces engine wear and tear.
G-CPTN   30 May 2014, 7:10 pm
Optare Metrodecker:-
the bus will weigh less than 10 tonnes
Now that is light - Volvo claim that the B5TL Wright weighs in at 11.1 tonnes (after weight saving exercises by both Volvo and Wright).

Optare Metrodecker

Changing to a 5 litre engine for Euro 6 will deliver a weight saving but there is more to this product: the total chassis weight reduction is around 300 kg. But thanks to the close cooperation with Wright Bus, the body will save around 700 kg.
The first test bus, to a TfL specification, weighs around 11100 kg.

Volvo B5TL Wrightbus

More about the Metrodecker here:- http://www.optare.com/op_metrodecker.htm

and here:- http://www.optare.com/images/brochures/M...cSheet.pdf
Adrian   30 May 2014, 7:27 pm
With the Metrodecker though, I envisage it will be a case of who is going to be the first operator to take the financial risk? The risk comes from there being no track record with that vehicle to go on, so you're essentially hoping the performance is as good as the technical specs claim.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
G-CPTN   30 May 2014, 8:23 pm
Optare (and before them, MCW) aren't exactly without previous history (though I admit that the people that I knew in MCW and who then transferred to Optare will be long gone (retired).

What's the history of current Optare vehicles (including the now-defunct East Lancs Olympus and Omnidekka)?

What about the Spectra?
Reading Buses are said to be still running them as are Travel West Midlands.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   30 May 2014, 9:07 pm
(30 May 2014, 8:23 pm)G-CPTN wrote Optare (and before them, MCW) aren't exactly without previous history (though I admit that the people that I knew in MCW and who then transferred to Optare will be long gone (retired).

What's the history of current Optare vehicles (including the now-defunct East Lancs Olympus and Omnidekka)?

What about the Spectra?
Reading Buses are said to be still running them as are Travel West Midlands.

Didn't see any on my last trip to Reading, but that isn't to say they weren't tucked up in the depot for the night.

The MCW, Optare, Leyland etc links should be a positive thing, but I am not sure how many of those links have been lost (or retained) over the years.

On a different note. I had a lovely Chinese in a restaurant not far from the old Optare factory in Crossgates 8/9 years ago Big Grin

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Malarkey   30 May 2014, 9:12 pm
Just out of curiosity how much would it cost Go North East to upgrade the B7TL Geminis to B9TL's, As all they'd need is a New Engine and the removal of the B7TL Body Panels, and then they'd be replaced with B9TL Rear Body Panels, and it may help improve Reliability of the Buses to then Assist the TTX/Ten etc. Pretty sure Transdev did something similar but maintained the B7TL Engine a few Years ago.
Dan   30 May 2014, 9:18 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:12 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Just out of curiosity how much would it cost Go North East to upgrade the B7TL Geminis to B9TL's, As all they'd need is a New Engine and the removal of the B7TL Body Panels, and then they'd be replaced with B9TL Rear Body Panels, and it may help improve Reliability of the Buses to then Assist the TTX/Ten etc. Pretty sure Transdev did something similar but maintained the B7TL Engine a few Years ago.

Transdev just 'upgraded' the bodywork on Volvo B7TLs to the Wright Eclipse Gemini 2, as far as I know.

EDIT: Yes, that's right. Just found a photograph on my photostream:
[Image: 12129553995_8280a005b9.jpg]

Still a Volvo B7TL, just with Gemini 2 bodywork.
Malarkey   30 May 2014, 9:23 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:18 pm)Dan wrote Transdev just 'upgraded' the bodywork on Volvo B7TLs to the Wright Eclipse Gemini 2, as far as I know.

Surely Go North East could do something similar, but upgrade the Engine also, got to be some spare B9TL Engines kicking about at Wrightbus.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   30 May 2014, 9:30 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:18 pm)Dan wrote Transdev just 'upgraded' the bodywork on Volvo B7TLs to the Wright Eclipse Gemini 2, as far as I know.

That looks quite eye catching - I'm sure Lothian have a livery (can't remember route) that looks like some sort of ad for a zoo.
Dan   30 May 2014, 9:32 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:30 pm)Marcus wrote That looks quite eye catching - I'm sure Lothian have a livery (can't remember route) that looks like some sort of ad for a zoo.

Not anymore, I'm afraid. They've all been replaced by 'red tops' (see Stuart Montgomery's Flickr for updates on that).
citaro5284   30 May 2014, 9:33 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:23 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Surely Go North East could do something similar, but upgrade the Engine also, got to be some spare B9TL Engines kicking about at Wrightbus.

Why would Wrightbus have some B9 engines kicking about.....Volvo might thou Big Grin
R852 PRG   30 May 2014, 9:34 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:32 pm)Dan wrote Not anymore, I'm afraid. They've all been replaced by 'red tops' (see Stuart Montgomery's Flickr for updates on that).

What the 'have a purrfect day' ones? I think they did the 26 or something?

I liked that livery; shame it's gone.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   30 May 2014, 9:35 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:34 pm)Marcus wrote What the 'have a purrfect day' ones? I think they did the 26 or something?

I liked that livery; shame it's gone.

Indeed.

Zoom to the Zoo branding has all gone now, I think. Or if it hasn't, it is due to go imminently.

Don't think many were left on my last trip up (Apr 5th).
R852 PRG   30 May 2014, 9:38 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:35 pm)Dan wrote Indeed.

Zoom to the Zoo branding has all gone now, I think. Or if it hasn't, it is due to go imminently.

I've never been up by myself - only in the case of days out to Edinburgh with the family. Hopefully in the future. Big Grin
Malarkey   30 May 2014, 9:41 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:35 pm)Dan wrote Indeed.

All going into Madder and White with a Red Top, I only seen one Zoom to the Zoo when I was up there on April 4th, So what do we think of my Idea, Is worth the Investment.
Tom   30 May 2014, 10:00 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:41 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote All going into Madder and White with a Red Top, I only seen one Zoom to the Zoo when I was up there on April 4th, So what do we think of my Idea, Is worth the Investment.

There was about three different examples I saw when I went from the 5th to the 7th.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
L469 YVK   30 May 2014, 10:10 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:12 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Just out of curiosity how much would it cost Go North East to upgrade the B7TL Geminis to B9TL's, As all they'd need is a New Engine and the removal of the B7TL Body Panels, and then they'd be replaced with B9TL Rear Body Panels, and it may help improve Reliability of the Buses to then Assist the TTX/Ten etc. Pretty sure Transdev did something similar but maintained the B7TL Engine a few Years ago.

What about a D10-245?
G-CPTN   30 May 2014, 10:31 pm
(30 May 2014, 9:23 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote upgrade the Engine also, got to be some spare B9TL Engines kicking about at Wrightbus

It's not as simple as that, as the engine ECU and the gearbox ECU would need to be changed otherwise the shifts would be all wrong - in fact the gearbox might need upgrading to a heavier model to cope with the increased torque - even the final drive ratio in the rear axle might be different!

Our powerful, fuel efficient 9-litre engine and all-new matching automatic transmission mean the Volvo B9TL is optimised for fast and economic operations involving frequent stop-go traffic.
Malarkey   30 May 2014, 10:32 pm
(30 May 2014, 10:10 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote What about a D10-245?

Would that handle a Trip from Newcastle to Middlesbrough and Back 3 or 4 Times a Day though.
Adrian   30 May 2014, 10:41 pm
It's never going to happen. The chances of getting your hands on a load of new Volvo 9l engines is going to be very slim to say the least.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
L469 YVK   31 May 2014, 12:12 am
(30 May 2014, 10:32 pm)NEBCD Malarkey wrote Would that handle a Trip from Newcastle to Middlesbrough and Back 3 or 4 Times a Day though.

Absolutely! They lasted 15 year in the Palatines!
Dan   31 May 2014, 9:51 am
"Lime" branded Volvo B10BLE/Wright Renown 4896 has arrived at Saltmeadows for repaint into corporate livery. I should hope that Saltmeadows will do all of the paint prep today, ready for repaint on Monday.
Pages (22)    120 21 22