Menu

Pages (60)    125 26 2760   
CatsFast101   12 Jan 2014, 7:51 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 7:39 pm)aureolin wrote Never seen it before, but it's cracking value for money. Certainly saves buying a 2 zone Buzzfare if you're happy to just use the East Durham buses instead.

It is very good value for money like. I've used them before many a time (only don't Incase I'm out late and need to get a 60/20 or something after the East Durham buses stop) but if you're going from Seaham to Durham to Peterlee etc. it saves you getting a costly 3 Zone buzzfare.
Adrian   12 Jan 2014, 7:54 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 7:47 pm)gtomlinson wrote I think GNE are excellent at telling us about what they are doing, hence the perception.

May sound silly but having a corporate set livery as Stagecoach does can see new buses slip by the general public as they don't look any different (to a degree) to the old bus. Same livery, nicer seats inside as opposed to the fanfare around The Purple Pumper or whatever GNE brands something

Exactly this. GNE are very good when it comes to interacting with their customers, and the other two let themselves down here.

Does anyone think that anyone outside of the enthusiast community are aware that Stagecoach purchased 20+ new Enviro 200s for Sunderland last year? I doubt it. GNE buy 11 new Citaros for the M1, rebrand it as the 4, and everyone knows about it.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Dan   12 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 7:54 pm)aureolin wrote Exactly this. GNE are very good when it comes to interacting with their customers, and the other two let themselves down here.

Does anyone think that anyone outside of the enthusiast community are aware that Stagecoach purchased 20+ new Enviro 200s for Sunderland last year? I doubt it. GNE buy 11 new Citaros for the M1, rebrand it as the 4, and everyone knows about it.

How effective do you think advertising on buses is? As far as I know, the only interaction with passengers in regards to the new E200s at Sunderland was via advertising boards on the sides of the buses:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nerbp/11312099894/

If I wasn't told about it getting done, I wouldn't have noticed them... If I'm an enthusiast who looks at buses, I can't imagine Betty or Tom to notice them either.

Go North East had a massive amount of promotion for each brand, the coffee wagon was out almost every day ( Rolleyes ) and I feel GNE made an effort to communicate with their passengers that they would see new buses out in service. No doubt we can expect a few more chocolate bars to be handed out when it comes to the #Fab56 promotion too. Tongue
Adrian   12 Jan 2014, 8:06 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm)Dan wrote How effective do you think advertising on buses is? As far as I know, the only interaction with passengers in regards to the new E200s at Sunderland was via advertising boards on the sides of the buses:

If I wasn't told about it getting done, I wouldn't have noticed them... If I'm an enthusiast who looks at buses, I can't imagine Betty or Tom to notice them either.

If that's the only way they advertised it, they may as well not have bothered. That advert blends into the livery too much therefore doesn't catch your eye.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   12 Jan 2014, 8:11 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:06 pm)aureolin wrote If that's the only way they advertised it, they may as well not have bothered. That advert blends into the livery too much therefore doesn't catch your eye.

Might not be much for advertisement but the gas buses will have a big advertisement launch, they will also be a different colour from the Enviro's, think someone mentioned their will be a open depot day for it?

I can see them being in the Sunderland echo to.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
citaro5284   12 Jan 2014, 8:13 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 7:39 pm)park5354 wrote wonder if wrights will correct the rear destination before it leaves Heysham.

No, all going to be done at GNE
Dan   12 Jan 2014, 8:14 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:11 pm)Michael wrote Might not be much for advertisement but the gas buses will have a big advertisement launch, they will also be a different colour from the Enviro's, think someone mentioned their will be a open depot day for it?

I can see them being in the Sunderland echo to.

I do think the gas buses will have a proper launch, but I still don't see it being as great as GNE's advertising. Their advertising budget must be huge - if anyone's actually been to one of the events, you often do get a feel for how much money has been spent on the promotional items present.

Do you think many members of the public will go to a bus depot to see some brand new buses? The Open Day will most likely be aimed at enthusiasts and will in part celebrate the launch of the gas buses, but I think it's most likely to combat requests from enthusiasts to take photographs inside of the bus depot areas.
Davey Bowyer   12 Jan 2014, 8:17 pm
I think that when the new B9TL'S launch on the 309, a good bit of marketing wouldn't go a miss. I've seen people stood there at Haymarket when the 308 has been late and the 309 turns up on time, but the first thing people say is, "but it goes all the way around Cobalt". OK, maybe it does but in a realistic perspective, it's only slower than the 308 by about 5 mins or so. GNE not only need to promote the slight difference in journey time and the little extras you get with the 309, but also the £13.60 weekly ticket needs promoting as well as the fact that you only need to buy 2 zones to get to the Metro Centre from Northumberland and One Zone from North Tyneside.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   12 Jan 2014, 8:18 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:14 pm)Dan wrote I do think the gas buses will have a proper launch, but I still don't see it being as great as GNE's advertising. Their advertising budget must be huge - if anyone's actually been to one of the events, you often do get a feel for how much money has been spent on the promotional items present.

Do you think many members of the public will go to a bus depot to see some brand new buses? The Open Day will most likely be aimed at enthusiasts and will in part celebrate the launch of the gas buses, but I think it's most likely to combat requests from enthusiasts to take photographs inside of the bus depot areas.

Hopefully would be nice to see people other than enthusiasts their, im not sure if i want to go yet, i never take pictures anyway

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   12 Jan 2014, 8:21 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:18 pm)Michael wrote Hopefully would be nice to see people other than enthusiasts their, im not sure if i want to go yet, i never take pictures anyway

Certainly would be nice.

People of all ages turn up at Lothian's annual Open Doors event, and it's like people go as a family to entertain the kids on a Saturday afternoon.

Lothian is a company which never fails to communicate with passengers though. Their online presence is great too - I've seen many posts on their Social Media pages which have been incredibly friendly. Not robotic in the slightest.
gtom   12 Jan 2014, 8:23 pm
There's almost an element of GNE trying too hard with some launches.

Look people of Hexham! Here's a new double decker bus! Erm, here mate do you mind moving that MPD out of the way a minute?
Andreos1   12 Jan 2014, 8:31 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm)Dan wrote How effective do you think advertising on buses is? As far as I know, the only interaction with passengers in regards to the new E200s at Sunderland was via advertising boards on the sides of the buses:

Go North East had a massive amount of promotion for each brand, the coffee wagon was out almost every day ( Rolleyes ) and I feel GNE made an effort to communicate with their passengers that they would see new buses out in service. No doubt we can expect a few more chocolate bars to be handed out when it comes to the #Fab56 promotion too. Tongue

I wonder if the CatsFast Solars discussed previously get a big fanfare/PR push IF GNE upgrade the emissions systems?

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Dan   12 Jan 2014, 8:34 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:31 pm)andreos1 wrote I wonder if the CatsFast Solars discussed previously get a big fanfare/PR push IF GNE upgrade the emissions systems?

Would there be a need? They're still the same buses really, just slightly more eco-friendly what with the higher Euro rating.

I can imagine the Wear Tees Xpress getting a marketing push if it gets the Mercs though.
pdiddy   12 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 11:29 am)andreos1 wrote I didn't know about this history of that reg and until recently, thought it was Northern Irish!
However, when that batch of Renowns were first used, they were based in Washington and used on the 194 and 294.

340 GUP used to be on a OK travel bus at Bishop Auckland, Northern got it when they bought OK out in 1995
gtom   12 Jan 2014, 8:53 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:34 pm)Dan wrote Would there be a need? They're still the same buses really, just slightly more eco-friendly what with the higher Euro rating.

I can imagine the Wear Tees Xpress getting a marketing push if it gets the Mercs though.

http://www.simplygo.com/environment2012/

They'll trumpet it because it sounds good. A little badge to stick on their jumper
Dan   12 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:53 pm)gtomlinson wrote http://www.simplygo.com/environment2012/

They'll trumpet it because it sounds good. A little badge to stick on their jumper

I can't remember a mention of it happening for the Centurion, Loop or Highwayman though - makes me doubt it'll happen for the Fast Cats or Prince Bishops somewhat.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
gtom   12 Jan 2014, 8:59 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm)Dan wrote I can't remember a mention of it happening for the Centurion, Loop or Highwayman though - makes me doubt it'll happen for the Fast Cats or Prince Bishops somewhat.

They haven't got hybrids to trumpet this time around which makes me think they'll focus more widely (outside the new depot of course)
BJ10VUS   12 Jan 2014, 9:07 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm)Dan wrote I can't remember a mention of it happening for the Centurion, Loop or Highwayman though - makes me doubt it'll happen for the Fast Cats or Prince Bishops somewhat.

The website mentions that the 'Centurion' is Euro 4, however the 'Loop' and 'Highwayman' are still down as Euro 3. While I'm on the subject, the following routes require an update on the website:

'Blaydon Racers' - Euro 2 to 5

'Crusader' - Euro 2 to 5

'Drifter' - Euro 4 to 5

'Lambton Worm' - Euro 2 to 4

'Saltwell Park' - Euro 4 to 5

'Waggonway' - Euro 2 to 3

'Tyne-Tees Express' - Euro 3 to 5

'Venture' - Euro 3 to 5
Dan   12 Jan 2014, 9:18 pm
You clearly haven't seen the inconsistency in the app, either... Your list would be somewhat larger.
Think I remember service 26A being down as branded "the NINE"? Tongue
Dan   12 Jan 2014, 9:28 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 9:18 pm)Dan wrote You clearly haven't seen the inconsistency in the app, either... Your list would be somewhat larger.
Think I remember service 26A being down as branded "the NINE"? Tongue

See screenie attached.
Attached Files
.png
Screenshot_2014-01-12-21-27-32.png (Size 292.45 KB Downloads 20)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   12 Jan 2014, 9:30 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 9:28 pm)Dan wrote See screenie attached.

Does that 'Good Service' indicator actually work by the way?

Dan   12 Jan 2014, 9:31 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 9:30 pm)aureolin wrote Does that 'Good Service' indicator actually work by the way?

If memory serves, I think I have seen it turn amber to 'OK SERVICE' once... Never 'BAD SERVICE' though! Tongue

Imagine the app will be improved massively when real time technology is rolled out in app form for members of the public.
Adrian   12 Jan 2014, 9:31 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:21 pm)Dan wrote Certainly would be nice.

People of all ages turn up at Lothian's annual Open Doors event, and it's like people go as a family to entertain the kids on a Saturday afternoon.

Lothian is a company which never fails to communicate with passengers though. Their online presence is great too - I've seen many posts on their Social Media pages which have been incredibly friendly. Not robotic in the slightest.

I'd love to see it happen with the new depot opening. Won't get my hopes up though. Wink

I wish I had went to the Lothian event last year. I'm going to make sure I'm there this year though. Looked great.

Dan   12 Jan 2014, 9:58 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 9:51 pm)ADLEnviro wrote I went 10 full years Jan 2004 until Dec 2013, I think you have went 11 - now how do you do that little cheeky smiley.

Rookie mistake! 2003 to 2013 looked like 10 years Wink

ANE: 333
GNE: 413 (again including coaches)
SNE: 354 (again including batch of 17 gas buses)

Still a gap of almost 60 vehicles between GNE and SNE.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Acky81   12 Jan 2014, 10:44 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 6:20 pm)gtomlinson wrote Greg, I have no idea what your agenda is. Were you denied employment? Were you fired? There's some obvious vitriol in your comments yet I cannot understand why.

Because GNE have cut unprofitable poorly used services you declare them to be in decline? Financial figures disagree. It seems very personal with you. I think you need to move into reality. The services you mention are poorly used, changing them won't make any more people use them.

The X3 is not and has never been a popular well used service. It has been cut. People need to accept this
X3 has good usage but now it's curtailed at tesco it might aswell RIP and take the X36 with it
Acky81   12 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 8:41 pm)pdiddy wrote 340 GUP used to be on a OK travel bus at Bishop Auckland, Northern got it when they bought OK out in 1995
Any one got a pic of it in ok livery
gtom   12 Jan 2014, 11:01 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 10:53 pm)Acky81 wrote Any one got a pic of it in ok livery

http://www.flickr.com/photos/simplytrans...751904432/

[Image: 8751904432_cd387ce88f_b.jpg]

SimplyTransport have a shot of it. Copyright John Carter
Acky81   12 Jan 2014, 11:04 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 11:01 pm)gtomlinson wrote http://www.flickr.com/photos/simplytrans...751904432/

[Image: 8751904432_cd387ce88f_b.jpg]

SimplyTransport have a shot of it. Copyright John Carter

But that's a different vehicle
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   12 Jan 2014, 11:16 pm
(12 Jan 2014, 11:04 pm)Acky81 wrote But that's a different vehicle

Its a private/cherished registration.
Just like the ones cars have - trucks and buses can have them too.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
N1cholas   12 Jan 2014, 11:46 pm
i used to love the old buses OK travel used to have. they were great old noisy growling buses. I used them often when they ran the 557 558 and 559 services from whitburn to their destinations
Pages (60)    125 26 2760