You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
(24 May 2015, 7:21 pm)Robert wrote The second point contradicts the first. OAPs having to stand suggests there are no seats available (they're all taken) but the second point says that they hardly any taken?

They're point is that during the midday the buses run empty - but at peak times they can't sit becuase they can't get upstairs. 

I know people will go on the defensive straight away but try going on the 82 at 9:30!!
(24 May 2015, 7:37 pm)Davie wrote They'd moan if no bus turned up at all. As long as passengers get from A to B safely they should be happy

How the hell are passangers meant to get from A to B safley if they're 60/70/80 years old and are standing for over 20 mins
(24 May 2015, 8:26 pm)leestransportphotos wrote They're point is that during the midday the buses run empty - but at peak times they can't sit becuase they can't get upstairs. 

I know people will go on the defensive straight away but try going on the 82 at 9:30!!

Yeah it was quite funny when the B7TL not long ago was trying to get up Fell Bank, could barely even go up at 5mph.
I can tell everyone is going on the defensive (It appears to be at me for some reason) so I'll just not mention anything next time.
(24 May 2015, 8:25 pm)leestransportphotos wrote No they seriously can't make it up Fell Bank.

Do they literally brake down or roll down the hill when going up the hill as that would mean they can't make it up. Going up slowly does not mean it can't make it up it just means it struggles but can make it up albeit very slowly.
(24 May 2015, 8:30 pm)Jimmi wrote Do they literally brake down or roll down the hill when going up the hill as that would mean they can't make it up. Going up slowly does not mean it can't make it up it just means it struggles but can make it up albeit very slowly.

They stuggle to do anymore than 5mph!!!!!!
(24 May 2015, 8:27 pm)leestransportphotos wrote How the hell are passangers meant to get from A to B safley if they're 60/70/80 years old and are standing for over 20 mins

Yes I agree there but they'd moan if no bus turned up at all...
Site Administrator
(24 May 2015, 8:30 pm)Jimmi wrote Do they literally brake down or roll down the hill when going up the hill as that would mean they can't make it up. Going up slowly does not mean it can't make it up it just means it struggles but can make it up albeit very slowly.

As far as I know, the Presidents do not roll back down the hill.

The same cannot be said about Arriva's B7 Geminis at Robin Hood's Bay (or thereabouts). I've had the horrible experience of the bus rolling back down on more than one occasion. I can't recall the petition to have these vehicles removed from the X93 though?
Site Administrator
(24 May 2015, 8:34 pm)leestransportphotos wrote If someone else had made this point I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have got this kind of reaction

No need for the paranoia, Lee, man.

Nobody is arguing against you, most are just disagreeing with the entire petition itself. We as enthusiasts probably do have a greater understanding than Margaret two doors down from you, so it should be no surprise that people are providing the flip side of the coin...
(24 May 2015, 8:31 pm)leestransportphotos wrote They stuggle to do anymore than 5mph!!!!!!
It is terrible that they are that slow but they can still make it up (painfully slow). I know what it's like to have buses struggle up hills you should have seen some of the old stuff on the 7 before Sapphire trying to get up into Ferryhill.

We are not directly attacking you we are just debating some of the points made, some we think are valid points but some we don't agree with for the reasons given. Perhaps the petition will get something done about the use of double deckers on this route although I doubt it will do much.
(24 May 2015, 8:34 pm)leestransportphotos wrote If someone else had made this point I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have got this kind of reaction :p

In all fairness the Ex London B7TLs struggle on any form of hill e.g. Sheriffs Hill upto Q.E. Hospital or that hill up Consett on the 15/15A Route, sure there will be plenty of other examples and not just Fell Bank, Obviously these vehicles have lost quite a few Horses over there Years of Public Service.
(24 May 2015, 8:42 pm)Malarkey wrote In all fairness the Ex London B7TLs struggle on any form of hill e.g. Sheriffs Hill upto Q.E. Hospital or that hill up Consett on the 15/15A Route, sure there will be plenty of other examples and not just Fell Bank, Obviously these vehicles have lost quite a few Horses over there Years of Public Service.

Don't remind me of Presidents on the 15/15A after the one I had the other week which would do no more than 15mph between Earl's House and Lanchester the other week. 6010 was woeful too.

They are quite old now and before joining GNE they spent many years bombing round London doing slow speeds day and night so it is little wonder they don't take hills very well as they have not had an easy life.
(24 May 2015, 8:15 pm)benambro wrote Yet they love to steal the front seats upstairs on the X9/X10!

And even probably the 10 along the Tyne Valley for a trip to Hexham or elsewhere en route.
If the Boro get promoted tomorrow night, would GNE put extra TTX services on for Tyne Tees derbies in both directions even during the evenings and on Sundays?
(24 May 2015, 8:51 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote And even probably the 10 along the Tyne Valley for a trip to Hexham or elsewhere en route.

Funnily enough there was one behind me upstairs on the 10 on Wednesday morning from the MetroCentre all the way to Hexham, would say she was in her early 70s.
(24 May 2015, 6:24 pm)Dan wrote They don't form part of the main allocation, though? They are reserve vehicles.

Why are double deckers such an issue on the 82/82A routes? Might just be me, but I would prefer a double decker to turn up than no bus at all.

They tend to be a daily allocation on the 82/82A from what I still see. Hopefully that'll change with the Merits coming in for the Cadets. That's if they prove to be more reliable of course. 

I wouldn't say deckers are an issue personally. The only people that tend to have a problem are the OAPs that have to sit more than 2 meters away from the doors, and the fact it's only got one buggy bay. The latter tends to be more of an issue for timekeeping though, as the parents I see are more than happy to take a few mins to fold down the buggy.

(24 May 2015, 7:15 pm)leestransportphotos wrote It was an elderly person that knocked on our door. These are the main points

- Less seats downstairs meaning elderly people have to stand
- Buses running around empty all day - environment
- Lack of power meaning buses struggle up Fell Bank and Northside.

I can see where they're coming from and for that reason I signed it.
(24 May 2015, 7:34 pm)Sidthebusbabe wrote I presume they mean that although there is a large amount of seats available, most of them are inaccessible to elderly passengers because they are upstairs, and the seats which are occupied will presumably be on the lower deck, meaning at peak times pensioners may have to stand or face the challenge of climbing the stairs. Considering a double decker will have around 23 seats downstairs and 50+ seats upstairs (which are inaccessible) buses will usually appear to be running almost empty, even at peak times because a large amount of passengers will be seated downstairs, hence the desire for single deckers.

Personally, I would rather have too much capacity than too little capacity on a service but from the viewpoint of a 90 year old pensioner I can understand why they don't appreciate double deckers. Poor accessibility is one the main disadvantages of double deckers.

There needs to be a common sense approach. Not all OAPs are at death's door, and the majority are more than capable of heading upstairs for a seat. There are of course those who aren't, and it requires common sense from passengers already occupying their seat, in order to vacate it for someone with a greater need. This does work both ways though, and I've seen old folk refusing to budge from the priority seats for pregnant women. 

There's 22(?) seats downstairs on a President, and I can't see there being many times in a day where it'd be carrying more than that, but also taking into account that the younger generation would prefer to head straight upstairs.

As for buses running around empty all day, it's really a non-argument, and does nothing to favour the argument of people having to stand. I do agree with the lack of power up Fell Bank though, but it's a pretty steep one to climb. 
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(24 May 2015, 9:15 pm)MarcTheA4 wrote For those who want a real test, have yourself a ride on the 34/34A up South Pelaw Bank next time you see a double decker on it!

I remember the DAFs on the 50. Used to take them an age to get up the bank towards Waldridge from Chester. Some of our CLS drivers on here will have fond memories no doubt. Big Grin  
(24 May 2015, 9:18 pm)aureolin wrote I remember the DAFs on the 50. Used to take them an age to get up the bank towards Waldridge from Chester. Some of our CLS drivers on here will have fond memories no doubt. Big Grin  

It's a shame gtom is now long gone with them... 4983-4987 storming their way towards Pelton Fell from Chester-le-Street were fantastic. Big Grin
Current policy (on GNE at least) seems to be that the driver waits for passengers to reach a safe location before they set off (and passengers are recommended to remain seated until the bus stops.
This can extend boarding times, especially if the passenger is 'infirm', and, to have to wait whilst said passenger climbs the stairs and reaches a seat (which many drivers do do - at least in Tynedale) can delay the bus even longer.

I only climb the stairs if I am travelling a 'long way' (rather than just between Hexham and Corbridge) and I like to sit in the front seats so that I can enjoy the view.
Since we are talking about buses struggling up steep banks. Shibdon Bank in Blaydon is a pretty nasty one, though nearby Birch Road is even worse.

Mind speaking of Fell Bank (My Auntie and Uncle actually live near the top of it in one of the bungerlows.), I remember going up it in Leyland Olympians (before the bypass was built) on the 551. One thing that could be said about the Cummins L10 / Voith combo is that they loved climbing hills, which is why the type was focused on Winlaton depot. (Though Metrobuses were based there (along with High Spen) when they were new)

Mind saying that, I believe Percy Main (and Wallsend) depot was never allocated Metrobuses either, but not sure if this was to do with the double bank between Wallsend (Church Bank) and Rosehill (Rosehill Bank), or just for the face that North Tyne depots didn't want them. Mind some have escaped onto the 301 (covering a breakdown), and Deptford examples used to escape onto their workings on the 310/319 (particularly Mk1 Metrobus 3516).
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Site Administrator
(24 May 2015, 7:47 pm)John_R wrote Still worth getting a photo - as it could be a very long time before another NX coach heads to Wembley from the North East

I think I could have been waiting a very long time for it to turn up on this occasion, too.

The 0600 service either omitted Sunderland, didn't operate at all, or is running 30+ mins late despite other National Express services running on-time.
(25 May 2015, 12:29 am)GMitchelhill wrote Since we are talking about buses struggling up steep banks. Shibdon Bank in Blaydon is a pretty nasty one, though nearby Birch Road is even worse.

Mind speaking of Fell Bank (My Auntie and Uncle actually live near the top of it in one of the bungerlows.), I remember going up it in Leyland Olympians (before the bypass was built) on the 551. One thing that could be said about the Cummins L10 / Voith combo is that they loved climbing hills, which is why the type was focused on Winlaton depot. (Though Metrobuses were based there (along with High Spen) when they were new)

Mind saying that, I believe Percy Main (and Wallsend) depot was never allocated Metrobuses either, but not sure if this was to do with the double bank between Wallsend (Church Bank) and Rosehill (Rosehill Bank), or just for the face that North Tyne depots didn't want them. Mind some have escaped onto the 301 (covering a breakdown), and Deptford examples used to escape onto their workings on the 310/319 (particularly Mk1 Metrobus 3516).

The climb up Birch Road was even worse when services used to run through the Bronx via Sycamore Road, Pine Road, Cypress Road and Sycamore Road. The diversion via Hazel Road meant all services received a slight repreive before tackling Shibdon Bank instead. I used to live on the other side of the dene until the age of seven and often used service 641 which traversed the Birch Road/Sycamore Road hill before alighting at Pine Road.. Deckers were allocated to services using both Blaydon and Shibdon Bank but the 641 was always allocated a National (and sometimes a coach after de-reg). Nationals used to sometimes struggle getting up there and I don't ever recall a decker being used on that route way back when. Deckers were sometimes allocated to services using Hazel Road though.   
(24 May 2015, 6:42 pm)Michael wrote I can see where they are coming from, with less seats etc.

What they should do is, take the decker's off and put MPD's on the routes... they'll sharp change the mind back 

There can always have the clapped out mpds from Peterlee when the solos arrive. Big Grin

No idea why, but Nexus are diverting buses down Jackson Street, and not allowing access to the Interchange at Gateshead...
(25 May 2015, 12:20 pm)aureolin wrote No idea why, but Nexus are diverting buses down Jackson Street, and not allowing access to the Interchange at Gateshead...

Probably to stop people taking photographs in the bus station..... Tongue
(25 May 2015, 12:22 pm)citaro5284 wrote Probably to stop people taking photographs in the bus station.....
Funnily enough, I wouldn't put it past them....
Does anybody know what will happen to the Cadets that are getting Withdrawn, will they be going to the scrap yard or another company?